Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 3rd, 2011 21:00

Vostro 1014 Ubuntu replaced by Windows XP - issues

I have this laptop - link.

I have a licensed copy of XP SP2 which I wanted to continue using, so purchased this. I removed Ubuntu & then tried to install XP with a XP SP2 CD. The first problem I faced was that the Windows setup was crashing. After googling a lot, I found this post by skins81. Changing the mode from AHCI to ATA in the Bios helped & I was able to install XP successfully. I then installed SP3 on it, all other updates etc. Also installed all other required drivers from the dell site.

Now I have a few issues& questions.

1) The touch pad has a small problem - occasionally tap to click doesn't work - this about 1 in 6-7 times, so it's very irritating. I have to move my finger on the touchpad to move the cursor up & down & take it back to the place I want to click & then it works. Sometimes I have to click elsewhere & then click back at the place I want to click. This is very irritating.

The driver I have installed is Alps Version 7.1007.101.102 dated 6/22/2010. Got this from the Dell site.

I have no idea if this is the right driver.

2) When I go to the device manager, I see one device in Yellow - "Modem Device on High Device Audio Bus". I already have audio drivers installed - the Connexant Smart Audio HD driver version 3.94.0.52 dated 10/20/2010. Again this was what was suggested on the Dell Site & the audio works fine.
So I have no idea what's this "Modem Device on High Device Audio Bus".

3) About the AHCI/ATA thing. I am still running on ATA mode in the BIOS - I have no problems about this. I went to the Intel Site & downloaded the Intel Matrix Storage Drivers & tried to install it for the AHCI thing, but it didn't allow me to install it saying I don't have the hardware for it - I assume this was because BIOS had AHCI disabled. I was wondering if I am losing anything by running ATA installed AHCI. I don't see any issues & I most certainly don't want to do something which will prevent the machine from booting. Googling shows few people who installed the Intel Matrix Storage Drivers manually & then couldn't boot either with AHCI or ATA enabled. I spent 2 days installing & configuring XP on this laptop, so don't want to do it again.

4) In case after sometime, I have problems & need to reformat & reinstall XP, I don't want to go through all these issues. So is there a way of backing up my current image (with all the SPs, patches, drivers, applications etc installed) - so that I can reinstall the whole thing without going through so much pain. A free solution would be great.

Thanks in advance for any help on these questions & issues.

667 Posts

February 4th, 2011 16:00

There's an article in the support knowledge base on how to install Windows from scratch here.  Follow this and you should be able to find and install all the drivers.  There should be no question marks in the Device Manager when you're done.

Windows XP SP2 did not support the AHCI devices.  That's the controller for SATA devices (hard drive).  You can run in ATA mode which emulates an IDE device with no problems.  If you feel the absolute need to convert, you'll have to re-install the OS with either a version with SP3 included in the distribution or by pressing F6 during the install and loading a driver disk in your floppy.  What?  You don't have a floppy?  Now you see the problem.

You can take your Windows disk and do what's called "slipstreaming" of the SP3 update and/or drivers into your distribution but that's beyond what I'll explain here.  I've done it and the best answer is go see Mr. Google :emotion-2:.

For your specific issue with the touchpad, I've got the same problem with other laptops.  What you need to remember is they typically use the edges of the touchpad to control scrolling and other options.  If you tap there, it may not recognize it.  Once you load the correct driver for your laptop, you may be able to adjust the touchpad sensitivity and other parameters.  If not, it's external mouse time.

For backup, there are a number of options.  Some of the external drives provide a free copy of backup utilities, there is Hiren's Boot CD here which is a wealth of tools and utilities for PCs.

Hope this helps.

4 Posts

February 4th, 2011 16:00

Thank you for your reply. But your none of your links work. Can you post the link again?

The problem I am facing in the touch pad isn't because of using the edges - this happens even when I am in the middle of touchpad. I have found a partial solution to it. I uninstalled the Alps Driver. Now the mouse is running on the default Microsoft PS/2 Compatible Mouse Driver. The problem no longer happens. However. the problem with the default driver is now I just need to use the control Panel->Mouse to adjust the mouse properties which doesn't have as fine grained adjustments as is there with a real touch pad driver. Is there a way to figure out which model of touch is there in my laptop - is it an Alps or a Synaptics?

667 Posts

February 5th, 2011 09:00

Oops.  I've not been on the forum for a while and this interface is new.

I've corrected the links.  They should work now.

No Events found!