Highlighted
eiffelorama
1 Nickel

Vostro 1500 Dead as dead can be...any suggestions??

Jump to solution

I have owned my Vostro 1500 for nearly a year and a half since purchasing it from the Outlet.  I have had no problems at all until Sunday night when it just died.  No warning.  Just dead.  I first tried these suggestions found here and elsewhere on the web... Press Fn key while pressing power button, reseat DIMM A & B.  No signs of life.

Since it's out of warranty I feel like I have nothing to lose, so this morning I took everything apart looking for anything that looked melted or dislodged or overly dusty.  Everything looks great.  My husband has the same laptop, so I have been able to test the battery and AC adapter and in his and both work fine.   One thing I have noticed though is this.  When my AC adapter is plugged into the wall but not into the computer, the light is green.  The second I plug it into the laptop, the light goes out.  If I then plug the AC into the good laptop, the green light does not come back on until I separate the AC cord from the adapter (brick part) and plug it back in.  This leads me to think that it could be a problem with the DC Power Jack where the AC Adapter is plugged in.  But why wouldn't it still work with the battery??  Why would that cause it to just shut down mid use?  Is there any chance it can be revived?  This laptop has been like my right arm.  I feel lost without it.

Any thoughts and suggestions are greatly appreciated.  I'm out of work, this couldn't have happened at a worse time.  My resume is on that computer!  Yes....I know I should have backed it up...:emotion-10:

Thanks so much!!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Vostro 1500 Dead as dead can be...any suggestions??

Jump to solution

So basically I am seeing on this community site, that if you bought a Vostro 1500 in 2007 it will only last about 19 months (if your lucky). I can't believe Dell hasn't looked into this and had a recall. How coincidental that all of these die from 16 months to 19 months after purchase...and they all died the same way.

And on top of it Dell is not backing up their product...tells you something about their company.  I could understand if one or two people had this problem, because they could have done something to it to make it die.  But this many people having the same story...something's up.

0 Kudos
79 Replies
Davet50
5 Iridium

Jump to solution

Sounds like your mother board is shot. Looks like it would be something possibly in the power supply section.

As to your data the hard drive may very well be good and you could get an adapter to put the drive in and plug it into your husbands computer to be able to access your files.

Home Built Sandy Bridge P8P67 i7 2600k @ 4.5 GHz 8gigs GSkill Ripjaws. Corsair 800D Case and AX1200 Ps X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty pro PCIe Sound Card
Dell Studio XPS 1645  Window 10 Pro

Forum member since 2003

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

To recover data, purchase a 2.5" USB 2.0 SATA drive case, mount the hard drive in it, and attach it to a working system by USB.  Copy your data.

Unfortunately, the meaning of

"One thing I have noticed though is this.  When my AC adapter is plugged into the wall but not into the computer, the light is green.  T"

is that the mainboard is faulty - out of warranty this is a $400-500 repair.  it may make more sense to replace rather than repair the system.

0 Kudos
eiffelorama
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Well, not what I wanted to hear, but thank you both for the amazingly quick reply!  Looks like I need to start looking for a new system. 

Anything I could have done to prevent this?  I used it a lot.  Sometimes 10+ hours a day.  Is that too much to ask from a laptop?  Is is normal that it would die in under two years?

Thank you both again for your very quick response!

0 Kudos
furious59
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I have owned my VOSTRO 1500 for 18 months now and it died yesterday. Exactly the same thing: no warning, nothing, just died. I don't have the AC adapter problem you have though, and I'm almost sure this has something to do with the NVIDIA 8400M card that it's inside.

Just like you, this laptop has been like my right arm, the best computer I've ever owned and right now I feel desperate and lost. It has served me well for a wide range of different uses, from normal word processing to GIS stuff and gaming. I've used it in standard conditions so I really don't know why it failed. And dell people is asking for $250 to replace the GPU...

Tags (2)
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

17 months..and mine just died...no warning. Just died. And Dell is no help...I think they have a problem. But can't get to anyone without paying more.

0 Kudos
eiffelorama
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Haven't checked into it in a month or so, but shortly after mine died I found out that just about every other Vostro model had it's waranty extended for a year.  Every model but the 1500 that is.  The extension supposedly has something to do with the Nvidia graphics and overheating.  I would love to know if all our 1500s died for the same reason. We have the same components but the way the 1500 is designed I guess they think it doesn't overheat.  Funny, because mine used to get really hot.  In fact when mine died my son was transferring music to his new ipod and it seemed exceptionally hot.  It wasn't plugged in and I thought the battery just died, but that wasn't the case.  

0 Kudos
MrCook
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Well, A customer of mine also had a 1500 die this past Friday, it was purchased on 9/15/07, just 19 months old...  It died while in the middle of use.  They state that they were in the middle of typing a word document, then they got a BSOD.  When they powered it off, it never came back on.  I checked it today, the battery is full, the power supply works.  If I hit the power button, the power light will come on for roughly 1 second, then nothing.  Pretty lame if you ask me.  The customer is now asking me about the alternatives (HP - IBM) for future business computer purchases.

Tags (4)

Jump to solution

So basically I am seeing on this community site, that if you bought a Vostro 1500 in 2007 it will only last about 19 months (if your lucky). I can't believe Dell hasn't looked into this and had a recall. How coincidental that all of these die from 16 months to 19 months after purchase...and they all died the same way.

And on top of it Dell is not backing up their product...tells you something about their company.  I could understand if one or two people had this problem, because they could have done something to it to make it die.  But this many people having the same story...something's up.

0 Kudos
eiffelorama
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

When this happened to mine I couldn't get it to come on at all, but I read somewhere that if the numlock or caplock lights are flashing I think you may have a chance to save it, it is some sort of glitch or something I think, I can't remember.  I googled it and found proceedures at the time.  

0 Kudos