Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

1 Message

December 18th, 2008 12:00

Vostro 1500 freeze

First of all I would like to say how dissapointed I am with DELL. The problem I am going to describe occured from day1 and still one year later it is still there. My warranty is past due now and the numerous calls and money i spent with dell support were in vain. All the advice i got form the people on the other side of the phone were reinstall your OS and they didnt even bother to send any1 to check my notebook. So i decided to give it a try a check these forums for answers.

My laptop is freezing whenever it wants to. I can hear the scratching noise from the hard disk when its opertating but at some point the disk stops and the computer freezes. I have used windows vista buisiness 32 bit only. My tech specifications are:

System memmory 2gb

Intel Core 2 duo CPU T5470 @1.6 GHz

Graphics Nvidia Geforce 8600M GT 1023 total availible graphics memmory

I have re installed windows countles times hoping that those freezes will stop but nothing has happened so far. I have run all the tests there are including those initiated just after start up. None of them say that any piece of hardware is working incorrectly. The current drivers i use are only the video drivers. I noticed that every time I install the chipset dirvers or the hard disk ones or any other the computer laggs even more and freezes a lot more. If i am browsing the internet  or watching something on my laptop freezes are not that common however when I start gaming its . I play only world of warcraft form time to time and whenever I log in my hardisk starts "scratching" like mad and 30 seconds later it stops and guess what....... a freeze and after a while its running again. And this can happen either every now and then (about every 15-30 mins) or in intervals of less than a minute. Apparently the people at the customer service centre dont believe or cant be bothered to help besides making me run all the tests they have memmorized and tell me to reinstall windows. I wonder if anyone of you has encountered this particular problem and has found solution for it. It is simply unbearable I cant use this computer for anything but browsing the internet. I cant even use with its battery because if I put it on low power mode it takes about 20 to 30 minutes to start up while freezing and unfreezing. So basically I feel like I have wasted my money on a machine that can only browse the internet and cant do anything else because if I load the system even the slightest bit it starts blocking. In my oppinion someone messed up big time when putting together my laptop.

Please any help would be highly appreciated.

Edit: I tried to remove vista and install XP sp3 but when i booted from cd rom to proceed with install the machine said hard disk not detected. I presume there is somekind of tweak that Dell makes so laptops are specified to one type of OS only. I am wiriting this because I remember reading somwhere that Vista is too heavy for 1.6GHz dual core processor and downgrading to XP might do the trick. I am desperate so would try anything.

13 Posts

January 23rd, 2010 10:00

Everyday I have this problem... I have asked dell tech support.     yet to give me a solution

They said "jiggle the Plug"  -  real good, the plug up dell's...... 

thanks aces......

Run em' over Dell !!!

April 18th, 2010 10:00

I had exactly the same problem and after hearing that it might be a motherboard problem, I found an EBAY auction by laptoprestoration.  They claimed they could repair the motherboard by replacing faulty chips.  So, I paid the $175 and, as it turns out, the I/O chip (input/output) chip was faulty and after replacing it, my laptop works fine.  I highly recommend their service and it sure beats paying over $400 for a complete motherboard replacement.

September 22nd, 2011 17:00

I had the same issue here.

I did the following based on readings from other posts and my own knowledge.

1. Turned off Vista Home Basic power management.

2. Disabled SpeedStep in the BIOS. This laptop has a Celeron Processor with a gig of ram.

and

3. Updated the BIOS from A04 to A06

Fixes/Enhancements
------------------
1. Improve compatibility with Dell Wireless 1390 & 1490 Dell WLAN.
2. Fixed: System Hangs on Resume from S3 with Driver Verifier enabled.
3. Added enhancement for optical drives.
We'll see how this goes!
I'll leave it on overnight with screensaver enabled and see if it is locked up when I get up in the morning.
Will post back tomorrow.

September 22nd, 2011 18:00

Forgot to mention, this is a Vostro 1500, not a 1520.

No Events found!