Highlighted
dunny2859
1 Copper

Vostro 1500 just stopped working Error code 0148 and 0123

I have a Vostro 1500 laptop.  It worked fine at noon and I left it only and plugged in to use later in the day like I have MANY times.  However, when I came back to use it later, it did not work.  It attempts to boot up but does not make it any further than the sign-in screen then it reboots again.  I did a few tests on it and I received 2 error codes.  They are 0148 & 0123.  Any ideas on what has happened or what these codes mean?  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
8 Krypton

Re: Vostro 1500 just stopped working Error code 0148 and 0123

Presumably these occurred during the hard drive test and were preceded by 1000: or 2000:?  If so, they mean the hard drive has developed bad sectors and needs to be replaced.

0 Kudos
dunny2859
1 Copper

Yes, they were both preceded by 2000.  Is there a way to know for sure or to somehow get it to start despite the issues?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
8 Krypton

You can be sure the drive is on its way to duty as a paperweight - it is failing.  It is unlikely you'll get Windows to boot - and you should not even try unless you can afford to lose everything on the drive.

If you need to recover  data from the drive, proceed as follows:

Replace the drive with a new 2.5" 9.5 mm SATA notebook hard drive.  Reload everything and mount the dying drive in a 2.5" USB 2.0 case ($10-20;  newegg.com has many) and attach it to the restored system.  You can likely recover some or all of your data simply by copying it to the new drive.

0 Kudos