Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 17th, 2015 13:00

Vostro 3500 NVidia ge-force 310m windows 10 driver

I have a dell Vostro 3500 which was released early 2010. The windows 10 upgrade app tells me I cannot upgrade to windows 10 because of the NVidia GeForce 310m driver is not compatible.

I also have an inspiron 1545 released late 2008 this can be upgraded to windows 10.

I have looked into this driver issue as I have been running windows 8.1 on the Vostro 3500 laptop for sometime. However the graphics driver sometimes crashes and has to recover. While this is useable it is not ideal.

In order to run windows 8.1 I had to download and install the old XP 64bit driver and run it in compatibility mode and as administrator. This took some effort and messing about to get it to work as well as it does.

However I have tried to install windows 10 preview on the system it will not let me install at all so I cannot even get to the point where I can try the windows XP driver. When I try to install directly on this system.

However I did install windows 10 preview on a different dell laptop the is compatible and them moved the hard drive into the Vostro 3500 to see what would happen.

Windows 10 worked on the laptop except for the GeForce 310m which had a exclamation mark in device manager. and it too sometimes crashed and had to recover

This is telling me the only thing stopping this laptop running windows 10 is the lack of a dell GeForce 310m driver

Will dell be releasing an updated driver for this graphics card as it seams very unfair that one laptop over a year older than the other can upgrade while the newer higher spec one cannot. Just because DELL cannot be bothered to come up with a new driver for windows 8.1 and windows 10

July 30th, 2015 01:00

Hello

there is a work around for this problem. go into your device manager, select Display adapters.

where you see Nvidia go into it and click on the driver tab. at the bottom uninstall the driver, remove it completely.

your screen will go black and flash but don't worry, it comes back in 640x480 ( hehe )

restart the laptop, you will now have no drivers at all. come back to dell.com and download the video driver again, you are looking for this file only R287485.exe

www.dell.com

/support/home/us/en/04/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=XNK27&fileId=2731099326&osCode=W764&productCode=vostro-3500&languageCode=EN&categoryId=VI

these are the Intel HD video drivers and are more stable then the Nvidia drivers too.  

Happy Windows 10 dude.

10 Posts

August 21st, 2015 08:00

Hi Guys

Here is how I did it.

1. go here and download the version you need (32bit or 64bit)

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

save it to your desktop. do not let it run.

2 uninstall your NVidia driver (you can get the windows 7 versions from dell after windows 10 is installed)

DO NOT RESTART laptop.

3 Run the program you downloaded from above.

This should install windows 10. you might have to fiddle around a couple of times but keep at it.

4 Once windows 10 is installed got to dell and get the drivers for Vostro 3500. you don't need the intel one just the NVidia R289134

5. download it and let it unpack. DO NOT LET IT RUN. cancel the install bit. Go to the unpacked folder and right click all the exe files you can find. look in  all the folders. right click and set them to win 7 compatible and to run as administrator. Once you have done this to all the exe files only, go to the main setup file and ruin it. This will install the NVidia drivers.

6 Windows 10 will want to update your intel driver. don't let it here is a link that tells you how to hide updates

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

once you hide the update you should be up and running

Hope this helps

3 Posts

August 8th, 2016 10:00

Hi, currently i'm running windows 10 BUILD 1607 and i'm using my old win7 32bit driver. Is working for me. Previous build i'm not able to use it. Now i'm able to play my games back. 

• 

16.7K Posts

June 18th, 2015 06:00

sonicmanx                                                                                     

Unfortunately, Dell has not released a list of systems or drivers that will be supported with Windows 10. We are hoping that list will come soon. I apologize for not having the information  for  you at this time.

10 Posts

June 18th, 2015 14:00

Hello Jesse L

I really do hope a driver for the graphics card can be made available. There are a lot of dell customers with this laptop and other dell laptops with the same graphics card fitted that will not be able to take advantage of a free upgrade to windows 10 if this driver issue is not addressed.

Going back to my original message. One dell laptop, an older and cheaper laptop can upgraded to windows 10 no problem, But a newer more expensive and higher specked laptop cannot, because of one driver.

1 Message

July 16th, 2015 08:00

I think if Dell updated the bios so you can select the Intel chip as the main and you can disable the nvidia chip, the system could work with Windows 8 and 10 without problems.

July 22nd, 2015 04:00

I have the same problem that sonicmanx reported... and I also hope that Dell releases a new driver so I can fully use my vostro in windows 10. Please, let us know any news about this.

10 Posts

July 24th, 2015 14:00

I do think the chances of dell sorting out an updated driver for our Vostro 3500 is NILL. They have had their money for the systems. They no longer make this model, so paying someone to develop a driver that will allow the owners of this model to upgrade to windows 10 is probably very low on Dells list of things to do.

This model has had an issue this the graphics card and windows 8 for the past two years so windows 10 is a no go for us.

The annoying part is the Laptop is a brilliant laptop and works ready well. The only reason it cannot upgrade is the graphics card driver issue.

I have lesser spec systems that can upgrade with no problem.

I will think twice about buying a Dell again.

July 27th, 2015 13:00

How I do it.

And Change for windows 10

1 Message

July 28th, 2015 09:00

Hi,

We are 6 weeks doen the line and Dell has still not come up with a solution, on the contrary, I now received word from Microsoft that the NVIDIA driver is not compatible with Windows 10!

When will Dell come with a solution? The laptop is "too good" to be discarded and I will not upgrade to another Dell in order to solve my problem, certainly NOT! Dell has a responsibility here.

1 Message

July 28th, 2015 20:00

Very disappointed by the lack of support from Dell on this issue. I have a Vostro 3400 with the Gforce 310M which seems to be incompatible with the Windows 10 updated. As Keesnielen said, the laptop I am using is too good to be thrown away. I purchased the laptop with high end specs to ensure I could use it for many years, and this lack of support from Dell is a slap in the face...

July 29th, 2015 17:00

It's now almost a month and a half after your original response to this issue -- Vostro 3500 owners' inability to upgrade to Windows 10 because the NVIDIA GeForce 310M driver is incompatible with Windows 10. Is there any way we Vostro 3500 owners can be informed as to whether the necessary driver will actually be provided to us and, if so, when? It's kind of unfair for Dell to leave us hanging like this.

1 Message

July 30th, 2015 13:00

hello there!

does that mean you would only have the intel hd drivers on windows 10 and the nvidia would be useless?

July 30th, 2015 14:00

Hi,

I tried this but it did not work. I've entered my service tag into the Dell support site and it told me to download R287481.exe which I have tried.  This did work and my display is now back as it was.

However the Windows 10 App still says I cannot download windows 10 because of the NVidia 310M.

Any other suggestions?

July 30th, 2015 15:00

I tried, as well. Even with the NVIDIA drivers removed from the system, the Get Windows 10 program still recognizes it as incompatible and won't install.

I wish I hadn't removed the original driver because now I'm going to have to jump through hoops to get the Vostro to recognize my external monitor so I can have two different -- separate -- displays.

Oh, well. Thanks anyway for trying.

On another note, I called Dell tech support, which was useless. They said I had two options: 1) call Microsoft (big laugh); or 2) contact a third-party technician (obviously we're all out of warranty) to see if the hardware could be replaced. Might as well get a whole new computer as do that . . .

No Events found!