Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

K

June 23rd, 2016 20:00

Vostro 3560 Win 7 Pro Problems with windows updates not updatiing

For the last few months, from possibly about Mar 2016 I have been getting a bunch of updates from MS which fail to install. There are about 50 more60 of them.

I am now completely over this and thought that I would (reluctantly) restore the laptop to the factory settings and start all over again. A painful but apparently necessary process.

I can't seem to see a Restore Partition under My Computer, and have investigated doing a factory restore but nothing seems to work that I have found on Dell forums.

Anyone out there able to help with this?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 24th, 2016 03:00

Hi,

Thank you for writing to us!

We would suggest you to try the following steps.

1- system restore 

2- check for malware 

3-  download the windows update  troubleshooter 

4- Msconfig disable services and then check 

5- back updata on the system and reinstall the operating system.

Note: kindly back up all the data on the system before you troubleshoot.

Kindly private message the service tag and email address.

Thanks

Robin

June 26th, 2016 21:00

Hi Robin,

Thanks for your fast reply.

First of all, I am unable to do a system restore, as there are no valid restore points to use.

As I said, I expected there there to be a Dell restore partition which enabled the user to restore back to complete factory settings, but thus far I have not found a way way of doing that - as opposed to simply going back to a user generated restore point.

What is the best tool to check for malware? I  have anti virus software as well as a firewall, which as far as I am aware, have successfully protected me, or at least they say they have!!

I have  already tried the Windows Update Diagnostic troubleshshooter and the result was that it fixed  "Service Registration is Missing or Corrupt"but failed to fix a very generic comment of "Problems Installing Recent Updates.

Very helpful, I don't think. Under the View Error Details it simply says "'An unexpected error has occurred.  The troubleshooting wizard can't continue."' The error code is ox80070003.

Finally, how do I PM you? I can't really see anything which would enable me to do this.

Regards,

Norris

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 27th, 2016 06:00

Hi,

Thank you for your reply .

We would suggest you to either do a clean installation the link below will help you 

https://www.dell.com/support/Article/us/en/19/575110/EN

or 

Factory reset 

www.dell.com/.../EN

Add me to you list and you will be able to private message me .

Thanks

Robin

No Events found!