Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 12th, 2013 15:00

Vostro 3560 fan problem

Hello,

I have a brand new Dell Vostro 3560.

CPU fan has been working constantly, even when the CPU is very low. The noise is awful! There is no software installed only new win7, latest DELL bios A13 and all latest drivers (chipset, video card, etc).

I have performed and CPU fan disgnostic (reboot->F12 ->Disgnostic) it is passed. CPU FAN speed is reported 4600RPM.

Please advise how to resolve this problem!

Thank you in advance!

8 Posts

January 21st, 2014 00:00

My experience thus far shows that the pressure of the keyboard against the metal plate, through the thermopad to the chip is good enough. the fan rarely, if ever, goes to max speed (unlike previously) so its definitely good enough. This is even before I enlarged the brass plate, which I believe will improve even further the cooling of the problematic chip, so in short - while your assumption is logical, my real world use case seems to negate your hypothesis  :emotion-1:

45 Posts

January 21st, 2014 07:00

Thank you both, free_refil and boazrym, for your very important and valuable input.

I thought the pads had some kind of adhesive on one side to keep them in place, but now that you've explained that they need the CPU clamps that changes a bit my idea. 

Using both pads and thermal paste would be overkill? Would it have any adverse effect?

Fortunately, any option is available on eBay, I just want to know which one to order first.

Thank you all, once again.

86 Posts

Glad you could chime in BOAZRYM!  This solution is indeed less messy, but, I went with what was readily available, and presented my hypothesis, real world experience of course trumps my hypothesis...  I would say there is probably going to be a slight difference between the two if you were to test them thoroughly, however, if one users reports that it worked fine for them, I would say go for it, you definitely can't make it any worse, I don't believe!

45 Posts

the pressure of the keyboard against the metal plate, through the thermopad to the chip is good enough

Could you please post a pic of your practical solution, please? So you used thermal pads AND brass sheet? No copper?

8 Posts

January 21st, 2014 11:00

Muaf: Images and explanation are below...

Yes, I've used a 1mm thermopad. It has an adhesive film but its rather ineffective. The important part of the keyboard that gently presses the brass on the thermopad and down on the chip itself. According to my fan speed it works.

I plan on enlarging the brass plate to extend even further to the fan bay. If it partially covers the fan (only partially - as it will have enough effect and I'm not sure I want to clog the air intake of the fan) I suspect it will knock out probably all cases of fan speeding up, except for the most demanding uses (such that I barely use).

You can see the Kapton tape I've put on the SMD components on the back of the keyboard (who will spot the OS I'm using?... :-) ):

The couple of thermopads I got. I used the thicker one (1mm), as you can see its 'bitten' corner. You can find such cheap ones on Ebay.

45 Posts

January 21st, 2014 12:00

Thank you SO MUCH for taking time to post this pics. They are really helpful.

I've decided to purchase some kapton, thermal pads and a copper sheet, and eventually will get a hold of the thermal paste and try that too for comparison purposes.

4 Posts

January 21st, 2014 23:00

Hi,

I have the same problem with a brand new Vostro 3560, i cant make simple Skype/hangout calls because of the fan noise is so loud that it sounds even louder on the other side :emotion-8:.

I saw the solutions suggested bellow.

Is their a way to handle this problem without losing the 3 year warranty???

It will be nice if a Dell representative will answer that.

Thank you.

8 Posts

January 22nd, 2014 00:00

Interesting!

Can anyone check the actual temperature of the culprit chip to see if its temperature was reduced ('under same conditions') or was it just a hushing of the fan? (I'm running Linux - can't do it here...). 

6 Posts

Hello,

so one small update from my post. Finally I ve contact dell support line. I ve asked them for this workaroud, if they know about this problem etc. He reccomand me to update my BIOS. And heureka, I updated my BIOS from version A13 to A16 which is available on dell page. Now its completely quite. Fan is running about 2900 rpm insted of 5300. 

So problem is completly solved.. If you cech the info about new bios there is notice that thermal policy has been updated. And it really works. SO I think if you still have a noisy fan after BIOS update there is probably another problem with the fan.

So lets check this link http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/cz/cs/czbsd1/DriverDetails/Product/vostro-3560?driverId=KRD68&osCode=W764&fileId=3330038645&languageCode=cs&categoryId=BI

6 Posts

I had the same problem with my new Vostro 3560. Called Dell support and a tech guy came to fix the problem after I explained what it was :-)

He putted a small cooling strip on the diode which gets hot.

4 Posts

January 22nd, 2014 04:00

did it solved the problem?

86 Posts

January 22nd, 2014 05:00

I'm on A16 as well...  As soon as PCH reaches 60 degrees celcius, the fan goes bonkers.  They didn't fix a thing IMO....  But I already have the fix described in this post applied to my machine, so take it with a grain of salt...

45 Posts

January 22nd, 2014 06:00

He putted a small cooling strip on the diode which gets hot.

Lucky you! Have you monitored the diode's temp after the fix? Is the fan running less?

45 Posts

or was it just a hushing of the fan?

You ask the right questions, boazrym. I'd worry about that too. Are they just forcing the fan to not run when needed and thus stressing the motherboard and components or did they actually find a soultion.

Based on the replies after this comment, I guess they didn't. 

8 Posts

That should be easy to check. I'm curious as well.

I guess I'll attempt that BIOS update and keep the extra cooling fixture in place as well. Nothing to lose, except maybe for an extra few grams :-)

No Events found!