Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 1st, 2011 10:00

Vostro 3700 overheat

When i play a game like tomb raider or call of duty 4 my vostro 3700 goto overheat and shoutdown automatic. Is normal? Every one can help me?

Thx And Sorry for my poor english

Francesco

April 3rd, 2011 02:00

Any?

207 Posts

April 5th, 2011 09:00

Francesco,

A system overheating may be caused for several reasons. However you would need to check for the basics first. 

• Time taken before the system shuts down
  • If there is anything blocking the ventilation at the bottom or the sides of the system
  • How hot does it get and so on.

To make sure you have all the basics checked please follow the below link - 

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?docid=279891

Let me know if this helps in your next reply.

Regards,

Niranjan

August 25th, 2011 16:00

I run into the same problem with my Vostro 3700.  I use a cooling pad on mine as well and i have been hitting temperatures up to 95 degrees.  It gets to the point where my laptop turns itself completely off and i need to let it cool before being able to do anything

4 Posts

November 23rd, 2011 13:00

Same here, Vostro 3700. I already had my heat sink and fan replaced under warranty after 5 months and now here I am again 5 months later. Epic design fail!

6 Posts

January 25th, 2012 15:00

I was having the same issue as the rest of you's.  I managed to fix it.  I bought some thermal compound and opened my laptop and removed the fan and applyed the thermal compound to the gpu and cpu, first removing the old thermal compound.  Then I dissasembled the fan and cleaned it thoroughly.  The problem is 110% fixed.  Check youtube for vids on how to apply thermal compound.

177 Posts

January 26th, 2012 01:00

Just some general cooling tid bits I noticed here and there:

Some laptop models benefit by adding a copper sheet  under heat sink. Make DIY copper heat sink as big as possible while being certain it will not cause a short circuit should it move. Make sure that the copper sheet  lays flat against heat sink and chip.  Make sure DIY heat sink does not impede air flow. Don't forget to apply thermal paste on contact surfaces of the copper. Use thermal compound sparingly since it does not transfer heat as well as metal. I have soldered copper to existing heat sinks to improve efficiency. Some out of warranty laptops benefit from drilling vent holes in strategic locations to provide better CPU/GPU cooling. Some laptops have speaker grills which may rob some cooling from critical areas. I've been known to cover speaker openings w/ cloth. I add taller stick on feet to provide more room for air flow. I like to display CPU/GPU temps in system tray. I run dust filters on some devices but you must be diligent in verifying filters are clean and do not protrude enough to block air flow against another surface.

No Events found!