jjayaraman
1 Copper

Vostro 3750 - Display problem

Jump to solution

Dear forum

I have a 2 year old Dell Vostro 3750 laptop. It has a problem in the display. But it works perfectly fine on external display. The laptop screen flickers some time and I get a plain white screen. And it works fine sometime for few minutes. 

I tried with a new screen and tried to replace the LCD video ribbon cable that connects the LCD from the mother board. All this trials did not help. Still the same problem continues.

What could be the cause ? Could it be a problem in the motherboard ?

Please help

Thanks

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
missleman
2 Iron

RE: Vostro 3750 - Display problem

Jump to solution

If it works fine on your external monitor then your motherboards is OK. You either have a problem with the laptop screen connection/connector or the screen itself. The ribbon cable can be a little tricky to replace. Make sure it's not upside down.

3 Replies
missleman
2 Iron

Jump to solution

If it works fine on your external monitor then your motherboards is OK. You either have a problem with the laptop screen connection/connector or the screen itself. The ribbon cable can be a little tricky to replace. Make sure it's not upside down.

jjayaraman
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Many thanks for the valuable information.

If I connect the ribbon cable on wrong side will it totally does not give any display at all ?

Or would the display comes on / off like a flicker.

In my case I was able to get problem display for some time and latter if shows the white screen flicker.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
CaseyW_o_o_d
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hi

I have had my Vostro 3750 laptop since January 2012, last year October(2016) and now again December 2017 i have got a black screen and green lines that appear. Sometimes the lines are on the left and in the vertical direction other times it has been different. Something that helped was if i tapped the top left corner of the laptop(near the power switch) and the screen would come back for a few minutes but then the same black screen would reappear. ( Just if you were thinking there are no loose connections, i have checked with a microscope).

I use two screens as well and when i use only an external monitor then the image is more or less fine. What solved my black screen was to dismantle the laptop and clean the dust out of the fins of the fan cooler. It has happened twice before and every time i have very carefully dismantled the laptop and cleaned the fins and clean off the old and put new thermal paste on the CPU and the graphics processor chip. I think it happens when it is summer here and there is a build up of dust in the fins and some kind of static interferes with the graphics signals. Don't quote me on this , it is just a theory.

My laptop is out of it's warranty period so that is why i went the route of dismantling the laptop myself.

There could be other causes but i thought this has happened to me twice and i have fixed it twice so let me share....

Kind regards,

Casey