Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

FB

November 21st, 2012 06:00

Vostro 3750 Laptop will occasionally not power up with battery in.

I have a problems with a customers 1 year old Vostro 3750 laptop (out of warranty by 3 weeks :emotion-6:.

The majority of time it works fine but occasionally it will not power on at all i.e. no fan, no leds, no video or indication of any sort. To resolve this I have to remove the battery and start the laptop with only the ac adapter to power it. Once booted I can shut down, reinsert the battery and the laptop will boot normally.

The laptop has been lightly used over it life and primarily with the power adapter plugged in but will run happily on battery alone for a reasonable period. Could this be a battery fault or something else with the laptop?

Fozzie

• 

3.3K Posts

November 21st, 2012 06:00

Hi Fozzie,

I suggest that you shut the system down, remove the battery and disconnect the ac adapter, press and hold the power button for 20 to 30 seconds.  Now connect only the ac adapter and wait for 30 seconds and turn on the system.

I recommend you to flash BIOS to the latest version by clicking on the link given below:

http://dell.to/QYxEEQ

Please connect the ac adapter as this step needs uninterrupted power supply. In case you have connected any external devices, disconnect them as well.  Do not use the system till it restarts and comes up to the desktop. 

I also suggest that you run a test on the system. Shut the system down and press ‘Fn’ and ‘Power’ button on the system which will launch diagnostics on the hardware components of the system.  Please check for the result of the test.

Please reply to this post for further assistance.

No Events found!