Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

October 20th, 2015 23:00

Vostro 3750 - Strange USB Problem - Restarting attached USB flash drive every 5 minutes on its own

Hi I am having the above strange problem that started only a few days ago. Before this, it was working perfectly/normally.

My USB setup:

1) 4 port (self powered) usb hub connected to usb 2.0 port

2) another 6 port usb hub (ac powered) connected to the 4 port usb hub. this one has logitech unifying adapter & a usb adapter for calculator attached, with 4 empty ports free. Free ports mainly for flash drives, etc.

3) everything connect without problems normally.

A few days ago, whenever I attach a flash drive, the drive would disconnect & reconnect at an interval of 5 minutes. When it reconnects on its own, windows explorer will open to show contents of drive. This drives me crazy!

I tried the following fixes but have been unsuccessful:

1) tried going to Device Manager and turning off the "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" - not successful.

2) tried different usb ports - not successful.

3) tried connecting 6 port usb hub directly to computer's usb port (without connecting to 4 port hub) - not successful.

4) tried method no. 3 on a different usb port directly on computer - not successful.

5) tried a brand new usb hub using methods 2, 3 & 4 - not successful.

6) tried connecting the flash drive(s) directly to computer (without hub) - not successful.

7) tried using different flash drives(s) using methods 2, 3, 4, 5 & 6 - not successful.

8) reviewed my windows update; I updated only the Office 2013 updates components on 16 Oct 2015 and everything was working fine. Have not done any windows security updates yet. Therefore I don't think the Office updates has any effect on this problem.

All of a sudden my usb port/hub seems to have a life on it's own, resetting/restarting in intervals of 5 minutes! I don't know what to do. Please help!

October 21st, 2015 07:00

Hi, 

Delete all the USB root hubs from device manager and update the drivers and let us know how it goes.

Is the issue happening with all USB ports??

Regards

26 Posts

October 21st, 2015 17:00

Hi thanks for your reply. I did not apply your fix suggestion because I'd decided to restore my computer to 3 months before.

It was working fine again. However, as I slowly updated my softwares, it seems I've found the root cause.

It appears my Wacom tablet new drivers are causing the problem. After removing it, the usb problem stopped.

I'll be contacting Wacom to check for solution.

Thanks

No Events found!