Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 15th, 2015 13:00

Vostro 5470 Geforce 740M driver problems in Windows 8.1 64 bits

Hi,

after a catastrophic clean install of Windows 10, where I had to make sure to have  Intel Management Engine driver version 9.5, or else my laptop wouldn't properly shut down; and Intel Graphics display driver with Windows Display Driver Model version lower than 2, or else the drivers for my Nvidia chip wouldn't work, I decided to make a factory reset of my Vostro 5470 with its Windows 8.1, to have everything working properly as shipped.

Nope...

Much to my surprise, the drivers for my GeForce 740M are not working. I have the Intel Graphics Family driver version 10.18.10.3345, and Dxdiag tells me I have WDDM 1.3. I tried to install the Nvidia drivers either from Dell (Video_Driver_R4HJ8_WN_9.18.13.3165_A02) or directly from Nvidia. My GeForce will simply not work. It shows the yellow exclamation mark on device manager. If I try to run the Nvidia control panel, I'll even receive an error message telling me I don't have an Nvidia card installed.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

2 Posts

December 15th, 2015 16:00

OK, it's now working. I'm posting this as a follow-up to my own post so someone else may possibly be benefitted from my experience.

After a whole day of frustration, I managed to get it working after flashing the BIOS. It should be emphasized that I had a full factory reset of my Vostro 5470, with disk repartitioning and all that. Even in this case, the Nvidia drivers were not working, contrary to what one would expect. I should mention then that during the days I used Windows 10, I had updated the BIOS, so that could be a factor. Today I flashed the BIOS to the same version, as I'm already using the latest release. After that, I installed the Nvidia drivers again and now it worked. I already updated the drivers and everything seems OK.

Cheers and good luck for you reading this.

No Events found!