Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 13th, 2011 05:00

Vostro V13 does not detect hard drive on start up

Hi

I have Vostro V13 (I bought it may 2010) so it still is on warranty

the problem is that when I start laptop in BIOS I don't see my hard drive and after I continue starting system it shows this:

so is it the problem with hard drive or something else?

and how can I fix it? 

4 Posts

April 9th, 2011 19:00

Don't panic, the posts you have seen before are rubbish. Your hard drive is not dead and doesn't need replacing. The reason you have got this error screen is your computer is trying to boot from a network server/drive. You need to enter your BIOS and check that the first boot device is your Hard Drive. At the moment because of this error it will show your first boot device as LAN. When in BIOS make sure that LAN is unchecked. Set first and second boot device as HDD. Your problems will now be solved.

3 Posts

February 13th, 2011 06:00

Thanks

I have warranty for this laptop - will it work after I remove and reinstall the hard drive?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

Reseat (remove and reinstall) the hard drive.  If it's then still not seen, it's toast - replace it.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/vosv13/en/sm/TD_Audio_HDD.htm

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

Will what work?  If the drive has failed, which is likely, you'll need to have it replaced under warranty. 

If the system is under warranty, call Dell --  rather than taking the system apart yourself.

3 Posts

February 13th, 2011 07:00

Thanks

I'll call them next week when I'll be back to home

4 Posts

EJN this error has nothing to do with having to reset the HDD or the HDD been toast. They are receiving this error because the computer is trying to boot from a Network Server/Drive.All that is needed is a simple change in BIOS to ensure the 1st boot device is set to HDD.

4 Posts

PMSL. This is actually a common error with Dell Laptops and all it takes is to set the BIOS to default. I repair Dell computers everyday of my life. The company I work for is contracted by Dell to undertake repairs they source to us. So no I am not spouting nonsense, I actually know what I am talking about. :emotion-2:

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

Before spouting nonsense, try to understand what has happened.

If the hard drive suddenly disappears from the boot list, something has happened to it.  If reseating the drive doesn't restore it to the list, then it's toast. 

The ONLY reason the system tries a network boot is because it can't find the hard drive - so, instead of calling my answer faulty, perhaps you should consider trying to understand the problem, rather than showing off your lack of knowledge?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

April 10th, 2011 08:00

It's common all right - when the hard drive fails.  I've never - out of thousands and thousands of systems - ever seen it happen other than when that was the cause.

The default on the BIOS is to auto-sense the hard drive - so even when the CMOS battery fails, unless the hard drive is faulty, it'll show up in the boot list.  So basically, my contention remains:  your information is faulty.   Unless the user knows they've disabled the hard drive boot, that's not the problem.

1 Rookie

• 

20 Posts

October 6th, 2011 21:00

ejn63 is correct.  If your system starts doing this when you haven't gone in and messed with any BIOS settings then its almost invariably going to be a hard drive fault.  The network boot agent won't be ahead of a hard drive in the boot order unless you actually move it there.

1 Message

October 15th, 2011 10:00

Hi Even I am facing the same problem, my V13 does not recognise the HDD. I connected the HDD to desktop and it works fine. But Laptop fails to recognize it. I am using windows 7 and I have some important data stored in encrypted drive. I wanted to backup those data, so I used SATA to USB converter and connected the HDD to laptop. It recognised the drive and also got Win7 booting logo but after 5-10 secs I get a blue screen and system reboots immediatly... I tried getting into safe mode but witout sucess. My Desktop is loaded with WinXP and wont be able to access the encrypted drive(bitlocker). Can some one suggest if you have come accross the similar situation or if any one knows how could I get my data in encrypted drive backedup?

1 Rookie

• 

20 Posts

October 15th, 2011 11:00

While hard drive failures are very common and I initially that my problem was related to the drive, I also was able to take the drive and access it through another computer.  Since the laptop was under warranty I had Dell send a technician and he simply replaced the ribbon cable that connects the drive controller with the rest of the motherboard.  It is apparently a very common issue with the V13.  It looks as though the problem is a design defect.  Hopefully the new ribbon cable will hold up longer.

4 Posts

October 20th, 2011 09:00

[UPDATED] It seems a common issue. Mine was out of warranty. I bought an audio board (comes with a cable) for $16 from Dell (shipping was $7). The new hdd cable looks better sealed. The new cable fixed the problem (the old audio board is actually good). Someone's selling hdd cables on ebay for $25 + shipping. Don't buy that. Dell sells them at a lower price. Here's the order detail.

Item #: M5NXV
Description: Printed Wiring Assy,Planar,Notebook,Daughterboard,AUDIO,V13
Subtotal: $15.99
Shipping and Handling: $6.99 
Sales Tax: $0.96
Total: $23.94

11 Posts

October 22nd, 2011 11:00

What is the part number of the audio board + flex cable? (Or does all audio boards come with the flex cable?)

I sought help from Dell tech support a few times and we were never able to figure out the correct part number. The part number for the flex cable alone is not available and cannot be ordered, but I am not sure if the audio board part number comes with the flex cable included.

I ended up paying $25+ship to the someone on eBay. That worked for a few hours, and failed again in almost no time. eBay sellers tend to operate by pulling apart non-functional laptops and selling their parts. There is a very high likelihood of getting non-functional parts from eBay because the laptops where the parts came from were are likely non-functional laptops to begin with.

Out of desperation, digikey part number HFF-30U-04-ND saved my laptop. But the generic flex cable does not have the same kind of shielding that the OEM part had.

4 Posts

October 22nd, 2011 12:00

They are selling the audio board, which comes with a cable. By the way, the shipping fee was $7, not $5. Here's the order detail.

Item #: M5NXV

Description: Printed Wiring Assy,Planar,Notebook,Daughterboard,AUDIO,V13

Subtotal: $15.99

Shipping and Handling: $6.99

Sales Tax: $0.96

Total: $23.94

No Events found!