Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 13th, 2016 13:00

[WARNING] Dell XPS 13 9350 BIOS 1.19 Upgrade won't Boot with Samsung 950 Pro anymore

Hi,

today i received my new Dell XPS 13 9350. After Upgrading my BIOS to 1.19 and setting up my System I backup my Drive and restored it on the Samsung 950 Pro. But it doesn't boot!

Hour after hour i tested, tried in BIOS etc. and almost gave up. Even Booting from USB to reinstall or Booting Dell Diagnosis didn't worked. But the PM951 SSD worked fine. So lastly I downgraded to 1.0.5 and the 950 Pro worked.....

Question: Where can I find a newer BIOS than 1.0.5 but older than 1.19? I can't find any downloads.

4 Posts

January 14th, 2016 14:00

(SEE MESSAGE SENT TO DELL REGARDING THIS ISSUE WITH MY XPS 15 9550)

Hello,

Replacing the motherboard did not resolve the issue; however, I now have a better understanding as to what's happening:
(tested with 2 SSD's, and 2 HDD's)
(tested with original and replaced motherboard)
(tested with both legacy and uefi boot modes)
(tested with secure boot enabled/disabled)
(tested with original BIOS firmware version, and latest --JAN 5th)
SCENARIO #1 (SATA1 as boot drive, m.2 as secondary) :
-BIOS randomly does not detect SATA1 drive (does not show in System Configuration). 
-"No boot device found"' error, followed by dell system check.
SCENARIO #2 (m.2 as boot drive, SATA1 as secondary):
-BIOS randomly does not detect SATA1 drive (does not show in System Configuration). 
-Post BIOS, Dell logo with spinner animation will show for more than a minute, and then boot into windows.
-SATA1 drive will almost always show in Windows (even though BIOS does not report it).
SCENARIO #3 (m.2 as boot drive, SATA1 disabled in BIOS):
-Windows boots fast (less than 10-15 seconds)

CONCLUSION:
The SATA1 drive is not always detected/initialized early on in the boot process (BIOS); it is often detected/initialized later on in the process (POST BIOS), but this causes a significant startup delay. 
TEMPORARY FIX:

Disable SATA1 in BIOS.
The problem described above makes the SATA1 drive unusable (given its poor stability) as a primary boot device, and impractical as a secondary drive.

Note: Most XPS users do not have a SATA1 drive (the larger battery takes its place), and/or are using RAID mode (I have not tested this configuration); therefore, this is not likely to be a well known issue...   PLEASE FIX ASAP!!!!

Regards,
John

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

January 14th, 2016 14:00

Question: Where can I find a newer BIOS than 1.0.5 but older than 1.19? I can't find any downloads.

http://downloads.dell.com/published/pages/xps-13-9350-laptop.html#Drivers

1 Message

January 21st, 2016 22:00

Hi,

I have a Dell XPS 13 9350 as well and ran into the SAME problem. It drove me absolutely nuts and I had to put in my old drive and downgrade the bios to 1.0.5

There IS a solution however!!!!

I found that after I reverted back to 1.0.5 I was able to get the 950 pro to work again. This time I downloaded Samsung's drivers for the 950 pro off of samsung's website:

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/minisite/SSD/global/html/support/downloads.html

After I installed the samsung driver for the evo 950 I was able to successfully update to the latest bios without any problems.

One thing I will say that I do not like about the evo 950 is that it significantly reduces battery life on the xps 13. I'd say I went from maybe about 8 hours of battery on the stock drive to 4-5 hours on the evo.

I am a casual computer user. The new drive reads and writes at 1800 mb/ second which is crazy fast but honestly I notice no difference in speed with the things I use the laptop for. I got it for the cool factor but I am at a crossroads now because I think the reduced battery life is significant enough to be a deal breaker.

1 Message

February 4th, 2016 03:00

could you guys tell me how u did manage to downgrade the bios?

when i try it, it tells me thats a not supported bios downgrade...im on version 1.2.3 and also cant get the 950to run...

i love spending 300€ to get problems

1 Message

February 9th, 2016 13:00

You need to make sure that bios downgrade is allowed in the bios. Also I've tried downgrading from 1.2.3 straight to 1.05 but it didn't work. However, I've found that you can downgrade sequentially from 1.2.3 to 1.19 to 1.17 to 1.0.5 and that will work. Don't worry if it gives you strange error messages while flashing bios...just let it do it's thing...It's a pain but that's what I've come up with so far.

Before you install windows, go into bios and switch from Intel Rapid Restore to AHCI. IRRT does not seem to play well with the Samsung 950 Pro. Once you install windows, remember to download the Samsung NVME driver and that should do it!

4 Posts

April 23rd, 2016 11:00

McDuddley - is your system still working, and have you updated to BIOS 1.3X?  (Can't remember exact vsn.)  And what BIOS/UEFI boot mode do you have selected?  (RAID or AHCI?)  I started this all with RAID but was getting your same problems plus others (Samsung Magician would garble my SSD 950's name, plus wouldn't "recognize" it to update.  I solved this separately, but am hesitant to upgrade back to current BIOS and curious to hear your (or others') configurations that are working.  I currently have:

Dell XPS 13 9350
BIOS vsn 1.0.5
BIOS->System Configuration->Boot (?)-> AHCI
Samsung 950 512GB, running firmware 1B0QBXX7

Thanks, -Ken

1 Message

July 16th, 2016 23:00

Well, I clean-installed Windows 10 on my 950 Pro when the BIOS was 1.05 and the SATA setting was RAID. I can't install the 950 Pro driver under Windows 10 because of error "Samsung nvm express device is not connected", but Windows 10 was otherwise working fine, and bitlocker is running.

I had tried upgrading from 1.0.5 to 1.1.9 and 1.3.3, but was never able to boot under those BIOS, and had to switch from RAID to AHCI mode to have my USB key recognised so I could downgrade back to 1.0.5 (and then switch back to RAID).

I recently opted into the Windows 10 Fast Ring for updates, and the update process forces BIOS 1.4.4 plus some drivers on me, and the XPS 13 9350 becomes unbootable until I downgrade from 1.4.4 to 1.1.9 and then to 1.0.5 (1.3.3 can be skipped). But then, when I boot, my wifi is disabled, my Windows key doesn't work and device manager shows the BIOS as being problematic. Restarting Windows triggers the automatic firmware upgrade to 1.4.4 and I'm stuck, because the cycle starts again...

If I try booting under AHCI in 1.4.4, Windows asks for by bitlocker key, but then reports a problem with the bootable device.

So, it seems my only option is to revert to 1.0.5, so that I can boot and back up all of my documents to a USB, and then reinstall Windows 10 while the BIOS setting is set to AHCI.

I can't prove it, but my advice would be to install Windows 10 on a 950 Pro with the BIOS setting for SATA set to AHCI, as there doesn't seem to be a way of upgrading/migrating an installation made under 1.0.5 if the setting is RAID. And Windows Update doesn't seem to allow me to stay on 1.0.5

I'll try to post back here once I've completed the reinstall.

No Events found!