Highlighted
3 Silver

RE: Dell WD15 Desktop Dock - Step-by-step driver/firmware/BIOS installation instructions for XPS, Latitude and Precision notebooks [UPDATED 04-22-16]

Dear Mlewand,

I had to fight with it but today I am rather happy. I use it for external 4k monitor (using MiniDisplayPort), audio, Ethernet and USB and have no reason to complain; just apgrade all what you can and dont trust the automatic upgrade feature, do it by hand.

I suggested it to a colleague who is using it with the new XPS13 without problems.

But the *** flicker is still there....

Highlighted
2 Bronze

RE: Dell WD15 Desktop Dock - Step-by-step driver/firmware/BIOS installation instructions for XPS, Latitude and Precision notebooks [UPDATED 04-22-16]

Thank you for the response g.becattini! Except the filckering it sounds nice. One more question, are there any problems with docking like it won't work after PC has been put into sleep and woke with station being already connected or sth?

I do use my notebook for work / home so I replug it constantly. I do not power off notebook, I'm putting it into a sleep all the time. So I'd like to be sure I'll have no issues with USB devices...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Silver

The mine is not an exhaustive & professional test but I do put it to sleep and restart without inconveniences. I am using the Logithech Unify receiver on the USB port of WD11 and it restarts correctly. Also audio and the 4K external monitor is OK (thru miniDP cable).

My previous monitor (Acer B276hq) worked only with the miniDP cable. I changed monitor now (Acer has broken) with Dell S2817Q that is slightly worse image quality but has good built-in loudspeakers (that I like :))

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

I've followed these instructions to a tee and I'm still experiencing mouse and keyboard issues while plugged into the WD15. My mouse lights will flicker and my keyboard will sometimes freeze and stop responding to any inputs, even pressing on the num lock key, it won't cycle the indicator light. I have a 9350 if that helps. I've looked everywhere and am really running out of ideas. All my drivers are up to date, installed in the correct order. Does Dell even acknowledge the issues? This is a business class machine and the (very expensive) accessories don't even work? Is there anything being done to resolve the issues?

Highlighted
2 Bronze

It IS an unresolved problem - reject it and ask them for a USB 3.0 dock + refund.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

So I got my dream setup of a Dell XPS13 and this dock.  My dream has become a f'ing nightmare.  The laptop has the coil whine issue that most buyers have noted isn't fixed in any version of the XPS line and this dock is garbage.  Just randomly it will lose my USB devices unless I connect/reconnect the USB-C cable.  Sometimes doing it a couple times in a row.

$900 wasted.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Silver

I personally own an XPS-15 and WD-15 working OK.

Two colleagues of mine have XPS13. One of them is using WD15 dock; after a patient manual drivers and Windows upgrade now it works fine (no whine, but this seems a different problem).

Both WD15 are matched with wireless Logitech kbd and mouse

Dont despair...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I ditched my WD15 which was still patchy after loads of  driver re-installs and got a D3100 (USB3)  ..  This does all that the WD15 does but without ANY problems

(with the worthwhile inconvenience that you have to plug in the power lead too).

Press Dell and they will admit there are problems with WD15 and TB15

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I just bought the new XPS 13 9360, and connected it to the WD15.

It works, however there a major lags when using the mouse.

All latest XPS 9360 drivers have been installed.

Do you have any idea about how to solve the problem ?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Silver

Is the mouse BT?  I have the same set up but no lag time.  Do you have lag time if you don't use the dock when using the mouse? I have a BT mouse and keyboard.  Make sure your mouse/keyboard software are the latest version.  I went to Device Manager and right clicked on Properties for my Bluetooth and I think it found an updated driver.  Unplug the dock for a minute and plug it back in.  Also check in Device Manager and see if Intel HID is the latest version.  Just some ideas to test.  On occasion I have a lag but it is about 1 second.  Good luck.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Hello,

I have a XPS13 9560, I bought 3 x WD15.

It seems to work for me, only some times I loose the USB, It happens 2 time during 2 weeks of use (I use the laptop more than 11 hours per day).

My problem is that I cannot start the laptop with the lid closed, If I do that everything works during 30 secs , after that the laptop force a power off, I recognized a pattern in the battery led (7 white, 2 amber) it seems to be related to display error (It is closed, probably the BIOS cannot detect it).

I was looking for an option in the BIOS or something, but at the end I need to open the lid every time I want to start the system or even if I want to reboot, for example to change between Ubuntu and Windows.

I tested it with a Precision 7710, it works without any problem.

Is there any workaround for this problem?

I think it is something that could be fixed really easy by DELL, but I cannot find any bug tracker or something to post the BUG.

Thanks a lot!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

No, it is a basic wired mouse, without any SW.

Yes, the lags are very short (less then 1 sec), but it is enough to see the mouse 20cm behind its normal position (and then suddenly back).

Unplugging the dock does not change anything.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Upgrade to the latest Intel HID driver does not improve.

Strange behavior : during first minute of use of the PC, mouse is OK.

Then, lag occurs every 10 seconds.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

I have a XPS 13 9350 and WD15 since August 2016. While I never experienced any issues with the external display hooked up via the WD15 (Samsung S226 bw), the USB as well as the ethernet connection drops. Reconnecting the USB-C sometimes solves it, but the connection disappears again after a couple seconds or minutes. I tried installing and reinstalling drivers. Nothing... Would not recommend the dock WD15 as a professional solution, very unreliable.

Moreover, I had to get a laptop mainboard replaced after 3 months. I am utterly disappointed from Dell products, especially at such premium prices.

EDIT: Partially solved!
Turning of the wifi and restarting will actually prevent the WD15 USB connection from dropping. There is some unwanted interaction between the USB-C and wifi/bluetooth.

Dell... really?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I give up...  Now my sound stops working via the dock at random.  The Displayport flicker issue still exists.

Garbage.  $145 worth of garbage.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Silver

I am the last person wishing to defend Dell but I am having no just one of the claimed problems. I am now writing using a Displayport monitor, listening music since many hours and never losing USB mouse or keyboard.

Keep me available for information about my drivers or whatever can help you.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Hey en.community.dell.com/.../g.becattini this is GREAT to hear.

I too am a HUGE dell fan, and apart from issues discussed here I have no gripes about Dell products PERIOD !  To help us all out .. maybe you have stumbled on THE elusive sweet spot of drivers ??

Please can you list, as closely as possible,  which drivers, bios etc  you are using. And what was the history of your setup ... I believe the order of driver install/reboot etc is absolutely critical. Also the instructions from Dell are inconsistent eg instructions here at the top of the thread, do not match instructions on the driver installation page for the dock and laptop.

So maybe a group [this group]  consensus of best practice will be a a great start in solving this annoying issue blighting both users and the Dell brand.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Silver

Just to mention again - I have the WD15 and XPS13 (9350) and when I replaced the Wifi card with the Intel wifi card for $26 - all my Ethernet drops and other issues went away.   I really think most of the problems are related to the wifi card.  A way to test this is that other users have seen going into Device Manager and setting the wifi card power to 75% fixes their problem.  Do try the wifi power setting and see if that helps anything.  The Intel wifi card driver is listed on the drivers page.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

My system works perfectly fine as long as I continue to use it.  If my laptop sleeps, then all *** breaks loose.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

So I'm not ready to call it "Good to go" but there was a BIOS release 1.4.10 22 NOV 2016.  So far after applying that, the last 2 days I have not had monitor flicker after sleep.

Direct Link:

downloads.dell.com/.../XPS_9350_1.4.10.exe

Dell XPS 13 9350 System BIOS

XPS 13 9350 1.4.10 BIOS

Fixes & Enhancements

Fixes

1. Correct Storage information in the Pre-boot Diagnostic test

2. Improve BIOS Recovery feature

3. System stability during Sleep

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Hello,

After much troubleshooting, I discovered an issue when using the WD15 docking station with a Dell Precision 5510 laptop if the Cisco Systems VPN Client 64-bit software is installed and especially if Symantec Endpoint Protection exists on the laptop together with Cisco VPN (Symantec Endpoint Protection can manage the enabling and disabling of a wired ethernet connection).

To give some background, I provide I.T. support for a company that has deployed Dell laptops to its staff for many years.  In our environment, our Dell laptops run Windows 7 Pro 64-bit.  In this environment in the past, we've never had any issues using the Cisco Systems VPN Client with any Dell laptop that either has a built-in ethernet port or a USB ethernet dongle (including the Dell Precision 5510 when used with its included USB-C ethernet dongle).  But I've discovered ethernet connectivity problems from the WD15's wired ethernet connection when used with a Dell 5510 when Cisco VPN is installed (regardless of whether or not a VPN connection is active).

With the WD15 connected to the 5510 and with a wired network connection attached to the WD15, if Cisco VPN is installed and if Symantec Endpoint Protection is not installed, when after starting up Windows 7 and then logging into Windows, sometimes within the first few minutes, the wired ethernet connection will then drop connection (an exclamation mark will appear over the wired network icon on the taskbar of Windows).  If the WD15 is then disconnected from the 5510 and then reconnected to it, wired network connectivity will be restored, and it won't lose connectivity throughout that session of Windows.

If Cisco VPN and Symantec Endpoint Protection are both installed on the 5510, more problems occur.  The same issues of losing wired network connectivity will occur within this setup.  Unplugging the WD15 from the 5510 and then plugging it back in will restore wired network connectivity, but within minutes, wired network connectivity will be lost once again.  Every time that the WD15 is disconnected and reconnected, this cycle will continue to occur (restored wired network connectivity, then lost wired connectivity within minutes).  Furthermore, when wired connectivity is lost, if the WD15 is left connected to the 5510, then within minutes, other issues can occur.  Functionality of devices connected to the USB ports of the WD15 will then begin to no longer function.  Also, attempting to put the 5510 into sleep mode can result in long delays until it goes to sleep (as long as the WD15 is still connected to the 5510).  Again, disconnecting and reconnecting the WD15 will fix all of this, but the problems will cycle once again when wired network connectivity is lost.

I've tried using two different versions of Cisco Systems VPN Client 64-bit (5.0.07.0290 and 5.0.07.0440), and the same problems occur regardless of which version of Cisco VPN is installed.  I've also tried 5510 BIOS updates, Thunderbolt firmware updates, Thunderbolt controller driver updates, and other WD15-related driver updates including the Realtek USB GBE ethernet controller drivers, Intel HD graphics drivers and RealTek USB audio drivers.  After all of these updates, the same exact problems occur as long as Cisco VPN is installed.

FYI, the Cisco VPN software includes a component in the "Networks" section of the Device Manager called "Cisco Systems VPN Adapter for 64-bit Windows."  This component interacts with the wired ethernet drivers and wifi drivers.

After all the testing and troubleshooting, I can only conclude that the WD15 has a problem when Cisco VPN is installed.  Unfortunately, this is a critical issue for us because we've been deploying Dell Precision 5510s, and anyone that uses the WD15 with the 5510 will run into the problems I've described.

If anyone from Dell is monitoring this, if there's any chance that you can look into this issue and find a resolution to this, it would be greatly appreciated.  Again, this issue has never come up with any other Dell laptop over the years that we've deployed (regardless of whether the laptop has its own built-in ethernet port, whether it uses a USB ethernet dongle, or whether the laptop uses an ethernet port on another docking station such as the Dell D3000 SuperSpeed USB 3.0 docking station or the Dell E-Port Replicator PRO2X docking station).

Thank you.

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Well, I had 1 week of pure bliss and then back to the worst f'ing PC experience of my life.

I was really hoping to roll XPS13s out to my sales staff, but there's no way now.  What an absolute joke.  The worst part is the $1400 punchline.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Hello,

I found today a new BIOS for my laptop XPS13 9360. I tested that now I can boot the laptop with the lid closed.

Regards,

Jonathan.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

XPS 13 coil whine still not fixed yet 😞

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

So just more talking to myself.  Since I'm stuck with this laptop I'll continue to speak my woes of the WD15 dock.

So I've had a pretty good month.  I got back to just having the one monitor flicker when coming out of sleep.  Hit or miss, it (obviously) could be worse.  I would just disconnect and reconnect the dock and all would be good until next time.

Then came last Tuesday.  There was a dock driver and firmware update pushed via Dell Software Updater.  I thought "*** why not" I mean what could possibly go wrong.

Now BOTH monitors will flicker after coming out of sleep and the only way to get rid of it is to restart the PC.

:smacks head against the wall:

Highlighted
2 Bronze

I have a new issue with my Dell WD15 and my XPS 9550. Firmwares and drivers are fully updated.

After some time I use the WD15 (display, ethernet etc.), a strange thing happens. I can still load webpages in the browser, but I can't do things like play YouTube videos (I keep seeing the loading spinner). I can move the slider and see single video frames, but I can't play the video. Moreover, I can't play songs on Spotify, it says that songs can't be reproduced.

If I disconnect and reconnect the WD15 to the laptop a couple of times, then everything starts working again, so it's definitely a WD15 related issue (maybe an issue with the ethernet interface?). Please fix it as soon as possible.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

I also have the flicker with the WD15 after newest firmware update.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Unable to dock with wireless on.. within a few minutes all USB devices disconnect. I have to turn off wireless then dock to not have issues. I tried disabling ethernet and running wireless only, USB still disconnects then will start a rapid connect/disconnect cycle. The dock is completely unusable if you rely on wireless and do not have ethernet.

The crazy 90 steps to upgrade and do it in this order while standing on one foot does nothing. Bios and all drivers are up to date.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

So I still have pretty bad flickering after coming out of monitor sleep.  I have found that if I disable the display adapter, wait about 10 seconds, then enable the adapter again, my displays come back to working.  

Not ideal, but it saves me from wearing out the thunderbolt connector plugging and unplugging the dock cable.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 Cadmium

There are three updated driver for the WD15 at the support page. They seem to be re-released old version, at least the FW version number is the same.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

The same seems happening if you have an XPS13 hooked up to the WD15 docking station.

Also found if I used Cisco AnyConnect VPN client at home and went to work the next day without shutting down the laptop then a lot of problems showed up when connected the computer to the WD15 at work just like jeffrodrig described.

Upgrading both the computer and the dock BIOS firmware and refreshing WD15 drivers to the latest versions (over the past year) improved the behavior somewhat but some of the problems still partially exist. Now if I restart XPS and don't start Cisco AnyConnect client then the system behaves more stable. Forgetting to reboot (meaning forgetting to kill the VPN client) and connecting to the docking station the periodic connection drop still happens.

Cisco and Dell should work together and fix this annoying issue that persist for almost a year now ...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

After the Windows 10 Creators Update, when I connect my WD15 to my XPS 15 9550, a "USB Root Hub" device is listed on the tray area as being able to "Safely Remove Hardware" (and you can't eject it while it's connected). This is pretty annoying, is there a way to hide this "USB Root Hub" device from the list of ejectable media?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

So I wanted to see what you are talking about and mine did eject!  Which promptly crashed Windows.  LOL.  Don't eject it is the lesson I guess.

That said, I must say that I FINALLY believe the screen flickering issue is behind me.  For now anyway.  I haven't had the issue in probably a month.  But literally as I type this Dell Update is informing me of a new Intel HD Graphics Driver.

#YOLO #amiright

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

So I wanted to see what you are talking about and mine did eject!  Which promptly crashed Windows.  LOL.  Don't eject it is the lesson I guess.

That said, I must say that I FINALLY believe the screen flickering issue is behind me.  For now anyway.  I haven't had the issue in probably a month.  But literally as I type this Dell Update is informing me of a new Intel HD Graphics Driver.

[tag:YOLO] #amiright

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I must say that this is a major joke. I received a XPS15 + WD15 and used the factory installed Windows. Updated to 1703 as Dell tools said I should and the bios is the latest 1.3.5. Still BSOD as soon as the dock is inserted into the computer. Wow Dell, I must say you ***!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

This is funny: WD15 works with Latitude 7x80 and Windows 1703 drivers, no problem. And also APPLE MacBook Pro worked like a charm; network, power and monitor activated with no problems at all. XPS team, back into the salt mines please.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Have an XPS 13 with WD15 and TD15 (because I thought maybe getting a second one would solve the problem).  Docking environment is terrible.  Sound cuts off.  Stutters.  I've had to rebuild the laptop at least once.  That was the only time the dock seemed ok.  But then once Dell updates come down, the lousy experience returns.  The idea that there is a specific way to install these drivers to make it work properly is unrealistic.  Are we supposed to never updated Dell Drivers again - because it's finally working ok?  One update and you're messed up again.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

RE: WD 15 Dock BIOS/ Drivers Installation Guide

I also have the audio cut off issue with XPS 9550 and WD15 (other reports: en.community.dell.com/.../20010426).

Randomly, the mouse begins to stutter/lag and the sound cuts out, then the mouse recovers but the sound doesn't, and I have to disconnect/reconnect the Type-C cable every time to recover the sound. Really, this makes my WD15 useless.

All the firmwares and all the drivers are updated.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Maybe I found a partial workaround for the "audio cutting out" issue. I say "partial" because the sound stutters sometimes, but it doesn't cut out.

1) Go here: www.win-raid.com/t834f25-USB-Drivers-original-and-modded.html

2) Look at the first post, go to the "E. Intel USB 3.0/3.1 Drivers" section

3) Expand the "spoiler"

4) Go to the "B. Latest modded Intel USB 3.0/3.1 drivers" section

5) Go to the "only for Intel Chipsets from 8-Series up" section

6) Download >"pure" 64bit Intel USB 3.0/3.1 Drivers v5.0.4.43 mod+signed by me (with DPInst option)<

7) Install them (you can follow the instructions below)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I'm testing the driver above since yesterday and I've to say my WD15 connection is MUCH more stable. It seems like the USB 3.1 drivers built-in inside Windows 10 Creators Update are an issue.

0 Kudos
2 Bronze

Ever since the Win10 1709 update my dock has been completely unusable.  Randomly drops USB connections, audio disappears, screens flicker.

*** this is annoying as all *** and ABSOLUTELY ludicrous.  $1200 into a machine that I can't use the way it is intended.

I tried the above driver, but even with the CERT installed I still received unsigned device warnings and would not load the drivers.

0 Kudos