Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 2nd, 2009 13:00

WLAN Utility and Windows 7

Not sure this is the right place for this, but is there an ETA on getting the WLAN utility ported to Windows 7? I am playing with Windows 7 on a Vostro A860 and the only WLAN utility download is for Vista 32 and refuses to install. Windows 7 identifies and loads drives for the hardware so that works, but in order to make it work on our wireless network, I need WPA2 Ent and some other things that are not natively available in Windows 7 but are in the WLAN utility.

-S

2 Posts

October 22nd, 2009 10:00

So today is the official windows 7 release date and still no wlan utility? Anyone? Bueller?

-S

October 22nd, 2009 12:00

Hi,

Have you ran the Windows Update?

Thanks,

12 Posts

October 1st, 2010 06:00

What has Windows Update got to do with installing the WLAN Utility from DELL?????

67 Posts

October 1st, 2010 22:00

My (perhaps mistaken) understanding is that the equivalent utility for Windows 7 was Dell's ControlPoint Connection Manager.

I also understand that support for the Connection Manager was discontinued and it is no longer available.

Apparently it only provided another interface between the user and the actual Windows wireless control and monitoring functions, and caused more problems than it fixed.

In other words, right-click on the wireless signal strength indicator at the right side of the task bar and select either "Troubleshoot Problems" or "Open Network and Sharing Center" and use the appropriate properties menus.

12 Posts

October 5th, 2010 10:00

The Wlan utility will work on some machines with Windows 7 and not others. For example. On a E4300 with a Dell 1510 wireless card it will work properly but on an E4310 with the same 1510 wireless it will not work. I am sure there are other issues involved such as 1510 card compatibility to the different models motherboards that have an inverse affect on how Windows 7 sees the hardware in question. I am sure there are other examples as well.:emotion-40:

No Events found!