Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

HT

March 29th, 2011 02:00

WPAN and a Wireless Mouse

I'm a bit confused if by having WPAN enabled means that I can connect just Bluetooth mice or if I can use wireless mice like the MS Sidewinder X8 or the Logitech G700 which use 'Wireless 2.4Ghz technology', whatever that means!

I don't want to buy a mouse that will require a dongle hanging out of my new laptop so can someone please help me out with an answer?

My laptop has the Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6230 (2x2 b/g/n+ Bluetooth Combo) - if that helps.

Thanks in advance.

Mark

3.6K Posts

March 29th, 2011 06:00

The Advanced N + Bluetooth combo you have runs on 2.4GHz and 5GHz range,you would not need a Bluetooth dongle."Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6230 (2x2 b/g/n+ Bluetooth Combo",is a wireless combo so you should have no problems.

March 29th, 2011 07:00

Thanks DGKPCON but I was wondering if the non-bluetooth wireless mice would work with my laptop without requiring a Wireless 2.4GHz dongle.

The reason I ask this is because there is a better range of mice available for this 'Wireless 2.4Ghz' format.

3.6K Posts

March 29th, 2011 09:00

Sorry it's taking so long on my end having some PC problems i'm trying to work out myself.

Yes i did look up both of those mice and they both do work off the 2.4 and 5GHz range.The 370 Bluetooth card(which is part of the advanced N) is 2.1 +EDR.

EDIT: Both of the mice you posted were wireless BT,which one was non BT ? i missed that one.

If you were reffering to the dongle you see with the logitech mouse,that dongle goes inside the mouse itself in order to connect to your wireless Bluetooth.

March 29th, 2011 11:00

I'm sorry but everything I read suggests that neither mouse is Bluetooth, this is why the whole 'Wireless 2.4Ghz' vs Bluetooth is confusing to me.

3.6K Posts

March 29th, 2011 11:00

Maybe we can get a second opinion here shortly?That 2.4 or 5GHz is the wireless speed connection not the Bluetooth.They communicate on the wireless signal which according to the specs, are correct for both of them.The Advanced wirless Bluetooth N combo you have, is 2.4GHz and 5GHz wireless range.The Bluetooth has nothing to do with the connection of either of the mouse i was reffering to the Bluetooth because you have the wireless combo.

March 29th, 2011 12:00

Reading the following link, it sounds like the mouse could connect using the typical 802.11b/g interface, if that's right - I guess I should next ask whether you can connect the mouse whilst connected to a wireless LAN.

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/bluetooth-mouse-vs-wireless-mouse.html

3.6K Posts

March 29th, 2011 12:00

While wireless range mouse can lose its connection due to disruptions (walls,doors,etc..) as you seen in the link you posted.Yes you can connect the wireless mouse while connected to the LAN too no problem.I use Bluetooth connected peripherals simply because they tend to stay connected without the wireless interuption you might get from signal loss.Either way you go it's really a toss up on what you prefer wireless,or BT.You will never be that far from a system using a mouse anyway,its just a personal preference.I have used wireless mice in the past never had any real problems from them,maybe signal loss a few times thats it.

March 30th, 2011 04:00

The wireless mouse wouldn't connect to the LAN, as far as I can work out it would connect to the PC directly.

I have found that if I go into the RF options of the Centrino, I can disable and enable Wi-Fi without it affecting my wireless LAN connection. My only guess is that this service is used to connect devices within range of the PC without going via a wireless switch/hub/router.

So I am now convinced that a wireless mouse will not require a special dongle for my laptop and will order my preferred option. Once I have given it a go, will report back if I am correct or not...

No Events found!