Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

November 14th, 2008 14:00

Warning: Battery cannot be identified

On Start, I receive a message: Warning: The battery cannot be identified. The system will be unable to charge this battery. Press any key to continue.

When I continue, everything seems to be ok; the battery charges normally. The warning appears on every Start. This started recently possibly after I installed Norton 360 Premier security package.

Can I continue ignoring it or does it really have a message for me. The laptop is an Inspiron 1501 and is slightly under 2 years old.

October 31st, 2012 15:00

I have a XPS <1530 and I have flashed many a Bios even back in the days of DOS this system tells me that it is unable to flash the Bios because it is unable to Identify the battery. It has been doing this for years. I have many computers desktops and laptops in my house to include tablets and smart phones.  I like using this laptop for what I use it for and ever so often I get real tired of the error message comming up. So here I am three years and three batteries later (all of which did not work) and still no solution from Dell. By the way this was the last Dell I purchased. If you know of an answer that does not involve flashing the bios then please feel free to email me. So I shall sit here with four batteries for this dell and wonder what brain trust in Dell's marketing Dept. decided to go with this.

Thank You for your time and service

D

1 Message

February 4th, 2013 19:00

I have the Dell Vostro 1720 laptop and I am having the same problem. I ordered a 3rd party battery from Amazon to replace the factory battery that went bad.

Once I discovered the "Unable to recognize battery" error, I called Dell. They told me that this is happening because the Bios installed on the laptop is configured for a Dell battery only. I don't believe this, but anyway, I kind of solved the problem!

Ok, I figured out how to get the battery to charge.

1. Remove the charger and battery from the laptop.

2. Hold the power button down for 30/60 seconds.

3. Here's the trick.........While holding the power button down, snap the battery on.

4. Once the battery is on let go of the power button and allow the laptop to start up normally.

5. Let the laptop start up. Once Windows is loaded, plug the charger in and the battery will charge normally even after its powered off.

Here is the downfall of this procedure...........

The battery will charge fine this way, even after the laptop is powered off.

But, if you unplug the charger while the laptop is off, you will get the (Unable to recognize battery)

error again when the charger is plugged back in.

The process will have to be repeated every time you want to charge the battery.

But, I'm willing to deal with this issue. After all, Dell wants $120 for a new battery.

I only payed $75 for this laptop....lol

Good Luck

1 Message

August 8th, 2013 12:00

This answer is a bit similar to the above, maybe simpler. The solution worked on every Vostro laptop I used it on, from the 1500s to 1700s models. Plus, it was successful for original Dell batteries and replacement batteries.

1. Shutdown your Vostro laptop 

2. Remove laptop battery and unplug the AC adapter                                  

3. Hold down the power button 15-20 seconds

4. Replace the Vostro battery

5. Plug in the AC adapter and power up the laptop  

6. Allow Windows to boot up completely 

7. If the laptop battery turned off the power while Windows was running,  follow the appropriate steps to recover your work if necessary

8. The battery status should now read, “plugged in and charging”

9. As a whole, we did not have to use this everytime the Vostros used battery power as long as the battery did not go below 10%.  And the battery was charged back up to 100%.  

Best of luck...

1 Message

August 16th, 2014 11:00

You can often disable these warnings in the BIOS if desired

In the Dell L502X enter bios

select advanced

Adapter Warnings, hit Enter, select Disabled, hit Enter, F10 to save and exit.

1 Message

January 23rd, 2015 05:00

Well, the battery's a heck of a lot easier and cheaper to replace than the motherboard so I'd focus on that first. On mine that are giving this message if I boot them up with the AC adapter and no battery the message goes away. So I'm thinking it's the battery.

Not really worth replacing the MB as this issue is annoying but doesn't really affect system performance.

1 Message

March 28th, 2015 23:00

Updating the BIOS Worked for me on March 28, 2015. I had had the original from 2011 and I updated to one from March 2014. Why I started getting this today, a year after March 2014' I do not know.

March 30th, 2015 22:00

The system will not update the bios if it does not reconize the battery.

1 Message

June 12th, 2015 07:00

I downloaded the BIOS update from this link, installed it and it fixed the problem.

June 12th, 2015 15:00

The system will not do a flash bios unless the power will be uninterruptable and the battery is part of that so the system will NOT do a bios flash unless it recognizes the battery which it doesn't. You must have a different model or something.

No Events found!