Jump to solution

GO TO EBAY.COM.AU AND LOOK FOR DELL INSIRON 1501 BATTERY

IT WILL SOLVE THE PROBLEM

0 Kudos
azbobs
1 Copper

Re: Warning: Battery cannot be identified

Jump to solution

Yes Dell customer service really is the most awful service I have ever had. I think they use parts that are already bad and put the system on sell because they know the parts are defective!!!!

ihatedell

0 Kudos
gerg1
1 Copper

Jump to solution

This issue just happened to my late model 2006, 1501. After reading every ones posts I wanted action fast without spending any money. I had another charger that was new for another machine and tried it, it didn't change anything. Since the BIOS has never been flashed on this machine, I went ahead and did it and it fixed the problem. The machine had BIOS version 2.1.0 and the update I got was from Dell.com's downloads and driver section using my service tag #. I updated it to version 2.6.3. If that didn't work, I probably would have thought about going to eBay for a new battery. I use a free battery utility called Battery Bar and it is telling me that only about 1/3 of my original battery capacity has been used up...meaning that I still have 2/3 of my battery capacity life left....which is not worth going out and purchasing a new battery for.....so for me, the BIOS flash worked to get rid of the message " Warning the battery cannot be identified" annoyance. I'll see how this works for awhile and be sure to update my post if anything changes. Good luck ya'all.....  

0 Kudos
weirba
1 Copper

Jump to solution

This worked for me.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
arttaclob
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I just used company old laptop and  I receive a message: Warning: The battery cannot be identified. The system will be unable to charge this battery. Press any key to continue.

What is the possible fault on the laptop? The laptop is an Inspiron 1501 and is over 2 years old.

0 Kudos
gerg1
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hi, Just in case you missed my post on this issue, all I did was flash my BIOS and that took care of the problem. What you may need to do is go into your BIOS settings and look for the BIOS version...in this case, mine was 2.1.0. I went to the Dell support and drivers page and seen that there was a newer version of the BIOS for this machine (using the service tag number to locate the exact BIOS update) and downloaded version 2.6.3...the flashed it. This worked for me. Flashing you BIOS my render your machine useless, so be prepared if something should go wrong. I have done it many many time with no failures....but thought I should warn you. FEEL FREE TO ASK ANY QUESTIONS if you have them. Good Luck!

Zeusmiester
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I have a XPS <1530 and I have flashed many a Bios even back in the days of DOS this system tells me that it is unable to flash the Bios because it is unable to Identify the battery. It has been doing this for years. I have many computers desktops and laptops in my house to include tablets and smart phones.  I like using this laptop for what I use it for and ever so often I get real tired of the error message comming up. So here I am three years and three batteries later (all of which did not work) and still no solution from Dell. By the way this was the last Dell I purchased. If you know of an answer that does not involve flashing the bios then please feel free to email me. So I shall sit here with four batteries for this dell and wonder what brain trust in Dell's marketing Dept. decided to go with this.

Thank You for your time and service

D

0 Kudos
Crbad34
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I have the Dell Vostro 1720 laptop and I am having the same problem. I ordered a 3rd party battery from Amazon to replace the factory battery that went bad.

Once I discovered the "Unable to recognize battery" error, I called Dell. They told me that this is happening because the Bios installed on the laptop is configured for a Dell battery only. I don't believe this, but anyway, I kind of solved the problem!

Ok, I figured out how to get the battery to charge.

1. Remove the charger and battery from the laptop.

2. Hold the power button down for 30/60 seconds.

3. Here's the trick.........While holding the power button down, snap the battery on.

4. Once the battery is on let go of the power button and allow the laptop to start up normally.

5. Let the laptop start up. Once Windows is loaded, plug the charger in and the battery will charge normally even after its powered off.

Here is the downfall of this procedure...........

The battery will charge fine this way, even after the laptop is powered off.

But, if you unplug the charger while the laptop is off, you will get the (Unable to recognize battery)

error again when the charger is plugged back in.

The process will have to be repeated every time you want to charge the battery.

But, I'm willing to deal with this issue. After all, Dell wants $120 for a new battery.

I only payed $75 for this laptop....lol

Good Luck

0 Kudos
Highlighted
HelenBack
1 Copper

Jump to solution

This answer is a bit similar to the above, maybe simpler. The solution worked on every Vostro laptop I used it on, from the 1500s to 1700s models. Plus, it was successful for original Dell batteries and replacement batteries.

1. Shutdown your Vostro laptop 

2. Remove laptop battery and unplug the AC adapter                                  

3. Hold down the power button 15-20 seconds

4. Replace the Vostro battery

5. Plug in the AC adapter and power up the laptop  

6. Allow Windows to boot up completely 

7. If the laptop battery turned off the power while Windows was running,  follow the appropriate steps to recover your work if necessary

8. The battery status should now read, “plugged in and charging”

9. As a whole, we did not have to use this everytime the Vostros used battery power as long as the battery did not go below 10%.  And the battery was charged back up to 100%.  

Best of luck...

0 Kudos
JohnKemp
1 Copper

RE: Warning: Battery cannot be identified

Jump to solution

You can often disable these warnings in the BIOS if desired

In the Dell L502X enter bios

select advanced

Adapter Warnings, hit Enter, select Disabled, hit Enter, F10 to save and exit.

0 Kudos