Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

1 Message

November 17th, 2008 21:00

Warning: The battery cannot be identified error message

Started receiving the error message at startup

"warning The battery cannot be identified. This system will be unable to charge this battery press any key to continue"

I did search the Internet and this forum but have not find any workable solution. My latop came with BIOS version 2.1.0 A07, tried to refresh the BIOS with the same version, and higher versions all the way to version A15 but no luck.

The battery does hold charge and the message disappear if I remove the battery and bootup with the AC adapter alone.

OS vista 32 bit
Laptop: Inspiron 1501

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

21 Posts

November 18th, 2008 17:00

Known problem - I don't know if you can still search the old forums, but lots of posts about similar power adapter problems. You may need either a new power supply or a new motherboard.  Eventually the power supply does stop working.  Hope you still have warranty -I'm on my 3rd powersupply and second motherboard (E1705) for similar issues.

4 Posts

November 19th, 2008 10:00

Possible solution:

I had a battery issue with a brand new Inspiron 1525 today. The battery indicator said that the battery was at 87% the adapter was connected but it was not charging. The tech in support chat had me shut down the laptop, remove the battery and adapter, then hold down the power button for 5-10 seconds. Fixed!

2 Posts

December 2nd, 2008 06:00

Possible solution:

I had a battery issue with a brand new Inspiron 1525 today. The battery indicator said that the battery was at 87% the adapter was connected but it was not charging. The tech in support chat had me shut down the laptop, remove the battery and adapter, then hold down the power button for 5-10 seconds. Fixed!

I was able to do the same "FIX" but the problem keeps coming back. I'm taking this machine for repair or exchange.

2 Posts

December 3rd, 2008 06:00

I just noticed last night that the plug on the AC adapter that goes into the laptop is lose fitting and if jiggled a little it connects and the battery starts charging. It appears that I either have a faulty jack or it is the wrong A?C adapter for my Inspiron 1525 model. I am taking it to best Buy this afternoon as it is only 2 months old and still under warranty.

I can't believe how cheaply and haphazardly made things are manufactured  these days!

The Chinese industry is truly one of the worst. It's no wonder all electronics are so much cheaper these days...it's all junk, made to last a few months.

1 Message

December 15th, 2008 09:00

Had exactly the same problem on a one year old Vostro 1000.  Thanks to posts here I was able to download and flash the BIOS which seems to have completely solved the problem.    doesn't mean it won't come back tho.  computer was one week out of warranty of course.

3 Posts

December 27th, 2008 19:00

Hello,

I encountered the same "Warning: battery cannot be identified" issues upon loading up on my Inspiron 1501. Despite the mixed messages regarding flashing the BIOS, I proceeded apprehensively to update the BIOS by downloading the Dell Inspiron 1501 System BIOS version 2.6.3, A16 on:

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&releaseid=R174470&SystemID=INS_PNT_1501&servicetag=&os=BIOSA&osl=en&deviceid=13120&devlib=0&typecnt=0&vercnt=9&catid=-1&impid=-1&formatcnt=1&libid=1&fileid=236967

After downloading and executing the BIOS update files, I am glad to proclaim that the Inspiron 1501 machine is back to normal. I no longer get the initial "Warning: battery cannot be identified" message upon start up. All other applications and wireless internet connectivity work as before.

Hope this helps.

1 Message

April 21st, 2009 05:00

Hi guys,

after suffering from this issue with the warning message: the battery cannot be identified, I pondered if i was suffering from a BIOS virus. I had been warned previously that there are such things and that they are very difficult to remove once saturated in to the BIOS. However after reading comments from OGRE on this forum i decided to flash the BIOS again (Bios ver A16) and this seems to have resolved the problem and no longer displays the message.

Many Thanks.

TD

1 Message

April 26th, 2009 08:00

Hi everyone,

I have the same machine and have been experiencing the same problem.  I tried to download and install the BIOS update, but am getting a message saying I do not have Administrator Priveleges.  Any tips on how to get around this?

Also, have been noticing that the battery does not hold a charge like it used to (machine is about 18 months old now).  Any chance I just need a new battery?  Would this solve the battery error message at startup?

Thanks!

2 Posts

July 24th, 2009 13:00

I'm having a similar problem on a Latitude D620, although a little different.  The battery will charge and seems to work fine, but when the AC adapter is unplugged, the the power tab in the lower right corner still shows that the computer is plugged in and running on AC power.  It will not show the battery operating nor the amount of power/time left on the battery.  The low battery light on the computer also lights up when the AC adapter is unplugged. 

I tried to update the BIOS, but I am unable to.  I get an error message that both the AC adapter and battery must both be plugged in to flash the system BIOS.  Both are plugged in and I have even tried shutting the machine down, removing the battery and adapter and reinstalling.  Still doesn't work.

Any thoughts?

November 2nd, 2009 13:00

I have a similar problem on a Dell Inspiron 1501  and I saw the link above to the BIOS download

"http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&releaseid=R174470&SystemID=INS_PNT_1501&servicetag=&os=BIOSA&osl=en&deviceid=13120&devlib=0&typecnt=0&vercnt=9&catid=-1&impid=-1&formatcnt=1&libid=1&fileid=236967"

,but how do I know if

that will be correct even if it is a Inspiron 1501 BIOS?  Should I try to get the latest BIOS  or just referesh or replace the own that came

with my system?

November 2nd, 2009 13:00

I went to Dell Support ,looked up my configuration and downloaded the 2.6.3 version for A16. I'll tell if that works later after I reboot.

November 2nd, 2009 19:00

I installed the BIOS in User with SignIn for Admin then  rebooted and I still got

"WARNING: The battery cannot be identified.  This system will be unable to charge this battery.

Press any key to continue. Press 2 times to enter SETUP.  Press and any key

to enter BOOT Menu."

Then I logged off and logged into Admin and double-clicked the Application.

After I did thT I double-clicked the WinFlash app  and I clicked FLASH  on it.

The response was  "No action. Error 5."

Any suggestions?  Thanks.

November 18th, 2009 14:00

Hello,

I encountered the same "Warning: battery cannot be identified" issues upon loading up on my Inspiron 1501. Despite the mixed messages regarding flashing the BIOS, I proceeded apprehensively to update the BIOS by downloading the Dell Inspiron 1501 System BIOS version 2.6.3, A16 on:

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&releaseid=R174470&SystemID=INS_PNT_1501&servicetag=&os=BIOSA&osl=en&deviceid=13120&devlib=0&typecnt=0&vercnt=9&catid=-1&impid=-1&formatcnt=1&libid=1&fileid=236967

After downloading and executing the BIOS update files, I am glad to proclaim that the Inspiron 1501 machine is back to normal. I no longer get the initial "Warning: battery cannot be identified" message upon start up. All other applications and wireless internet connectivity work as before.

Hope this helps.

When I booted my Inspiron 1501 yesterday morning, I received the warning, "The battery cannot be identified ...". After pressing a key to ignore and proceed, I noticed that my desktop icons had been rearranged, so I immediately suspected a virus. Sure enough, I ran Avast and removed two viruses, but still kept getting the same battery warning message on each boot. That is when I came here and found your link. It fixed my problem. Thanks so much! :emotion-2:

6 Posts

January 22nd, 2010 02:00

Hello..everybody!!

I have the same probleme with my Inspiron 1501...for about 1 week...same message "Warning: The battery cannot be identified...bla ...bla...bla!!!". Can anyone tell me ...why I can't dowload the Bios update 2.6.3. A16???? And if anyone has the file...could you send it to me by mail...please!!!  Thank you...

<ADMIN NOTE : Email id removed per privay policy>

January 24th, 2010 15:00

After reinstalling the BIOS and doing everything that was suggested I still have the same problem every time I reboot.

I seem to have paid for premium support so I guess I should call them and get them to fix it.

A week ago I cracked the mnitor on the laptop and someone from support came out and replaced the screen on the monitor

part on the laptop in 2 days. They were tremendous. But I forgot to ask about the battery issue I was so overjoyed to get

a new screen.  When I call them up and get a resolution I will explain everything they tell me after it is finished and working.

No Events found!