Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 20th, 2010 11:00

Was that really worth that money?

I bought the XPS M1530 on 2008 when I first came to US. In last two years, I had issues with my hard disk, optical drive, key board, hinge cover, monitor frame and now with my processor (currently, writing this email from the imac of my office). I bought this laptop because I needed strong computation power to run software like Comsol, Cadence, Matlab etc. Fortunately, I did not have to run into the problem that some other people had in the forum with tech support but I paid around 1500$ for a computer and NOT for after sales service and/or replacement. Good thing is, I still have warranty for one more year but am now really worried what will happen after that. The battery is, However, already out of warranty and my back up time has shrunken down to only half an hour now although I have taken every possible measure to lengthen its lifetime like not using the battery if it is not an absolute necessity, unhook the power cable as soon as I turn off the computer etc.

Just wanted to share my bitter experience in this forum. When I look back, I regret that being a grad student, I should not have spent so much for this kind of computer. Am seriously thinking about getting a new one later this year but is not going to be a Dell for sure.

Did any one else had a similar situation?

5.2K Posts

February 20th, 2010 18:00

The M1530 is rather trouble free, based on postings. All laptops have high failure rates because of being portable. How many times do you drop a desk top computer on the ground?

Batteries are a problem with all laptops. All manufacturers have batteries made by the same few suppliers. My wife's E1705's battery lasted almost three years. My M1530 is nearly two years old, and battery life is still almost as good as when new. Batteries can fail for a variety of reasons. 

Don't pay Dell's price for a replacement. I got a nine cell with a one year warranty for the E1705 for $42 plus shipping. It's almost 6 months old and still OK. If I get a year, it's real cheap. e_Bay has one seller giving a 3 year warranty for Dell replacements costing about $50.

3 Posts

February 22nd, 2010 07:00

Thanks for sharing your thought. I do agree that the battery industry did not advanced as much as the processor did.

No Events found!