Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

U

September 7th, 2012 02:00

Way to use Windows Zero for Wifi without the dell drivers ? D610

XP D610: Is there a way to NOT install the INTEL_MULTI-DEVICE_A18_R257684.exe (33MB) files for wireless ?

What files / Components of WINDOWS XP do I need to use wireless ?

Thanks very much.

26 Posts

September 7th, 2012 02:00

XP D610: Is there a way to NOT install the INTEL_MULTI-DEVICE_A18_R257684.exe (33MB) files for wireless ?

What files / Components of WINDOWS XP do I need to use wireless ?

Thanks very much.

4.4K Posts

September 7th, 2012 03:00

Hi Uber_Noob,

Welcome to the Community,

For the wireless card to function you will need to install the Dell wireless card drivers.However if you want  to manage the wireless network connection using the Windows zero configuration utility instead of the Dell wireless card utility,than you can disable the Dell Wireless card utility.

If you've Dell wireless card installed go to Start,All Programs,open Dell Wireless Card Utility, uncheck the box for " Let this tool manage my wireless connection",click Apply,OK.

Once that is done Windows zero configuration utility can be used to manage your wireless network.

Let me know if you have any question.

Thank You

750 Posts

September 7th, 2012 04:00

Hi Uber_Noob,

“Wireless Zero Configuration Utility” can be used to manage the wireless networks.

However, the wireless driver has to be installed first using the file you mentioned. Then open the “Dell Wireless WLAN Card Utility”, under the “Wireless Networks” tab, ensure to uncheck the box “Let this tool manage your wireless networks”. (Refer picture below)

Now, Windows Wireless Zero Configuration Utility can be used. For more information about Windows XP’s Wireless Zero Configuration, visit the below links:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/870702

http://bit.ly/QhSwWC

Please reply if you have any further questions.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 7th, 2012 04:00

26 Posts

September 8th, 2012 07:00

Thank U all for the reply.

It all seems to work well but when I switch to ZERO (connection still exists) but I see "No wireless Networks were found in range" under "View Available Wireless Networks".

Might there be some ZERO or XP components from DELL disk  I need to install ?

I have other DELL computers that function normal accept this one.

4.4K Posts

September 11th, 2012 04:00

Hi  Uber_Noob,

Did you try to disable  and enable Wireless Zero Configuration services as suggested by RICK in the previous post?

Is it that the system is able to pick up the wireless signal without any problem,while using the dedicated(Intel or Dell) wireless card utility?

Try changing the Channel number for the wireless network, in the router settings page and see if that helps.

No Events found!