Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 6th, 2016 09:00

We have a Dell Precision 3510 Laptop and no matter what was done we could not install an O/S from DVD or USB.

Hello, we have a dell 3510 laptop that no matter what we tried we were unable to install the Windows 7 64 bit enterprise edition. I worked with Dell on this and even they could not get it to work., We switched the BIOS from UEFI to Legacy and switched the RAIDon to AHCP and there was the third thing which I have a hard time recalling, I think it was boot off of CD, and the setting was set correctly. We spent hours trying to do this to no avail. I tried the DVD and USB, at one point it looked as if it was going to install the O/S but we got a box that came up asking us to search for Drivers, I was able to see the 'C" drive and the "X"

It asked to Load driver, but no matter what we tried, it did not work. Below is as far as I was able to get. I even ran the F6 Driver Utility and still it was a no-go.

I had another PC to try it with but when I switched from UEFI to Legacy it was as if there was no OS at all and I had to switch it back.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

September 6th, 2016 16:00

There's no way this was done remotely -- it requires too much manual intervention.  I suggest you start by following the process above (or use the image linked below, but it's not going to be 7 Enterprise, but Pro).

www.dell.com/.../SLN301133

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

September 6th, 2016 09:00

You need to prepare Windows 7 media with the USB 3.0 drivers for the Skylake platform slipped into it:

www.dell.com/.../SLN300564

12 Posts

September 6th, 2016 10:00

We were using USB 3.0 Media, same result. I will read the rest of the article but from the gist of what I am seeing this needs to be done with USB 3.0 which was done and the same instance occurred.

Many thanks for your answer.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

September 6th, 2016 11:00

Who prepared (and how) the Windows 7 install media?

6 Posts

September 6th, 2016 11:00

I dont think you read that right. What was said was you need to package the usb 3.0 drivers into the windows 7 install media. Meaning customizing a windows 7 install disk before you burn it or make it into a bootable usb.

12 Posts

September 6th, 2016 12:00

Dell Support did, they accessed my PC over a remote connection and did it.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

September 6th, 2016 14:00

There's no way this was done and tested over a remote connection -- it requires the use of a working system (not the one in question).

You must prepare an updated Windows 7 boot medium as an ISO and inject the USB 3 drivers as noted.

Other issue:  Whatever your business reasons for keeping Windows 7 vs. 10, note that the Fall release of Kaby Lake CPUs will require rethinking them -- the new seventh generation Intel CPUs won't run any Windows release older than 10, so you'll soon be faced with a decision:  keep the old OS and buy old hardware, or upgrade to Windows 10 if you want to keep purchasing new hardware.

12 Posts

September 6th, 2016 14:00

Yes, Dell remotely accessed my PC and did it. Once they did we tested with a USB 3.0 and still was not able to move ahead.

12 Posts

Dell was on my PC and I was on the phone with them. We were testing for a couple hours. We needed to have Windows 7 Enterprise installed so that we would be able to use BitLocker. It will not work with Windows 7 Pro.

12 Posts

Thank you, although we went with an alternative solution to BitLocker, this is valuable information going forward.

12 Posts

September 6th, 2016 18:00

From what I have seen and tried only Enterprise version(s) supports BitLocker.

Windows 7 — Enterprise or Ultimate edition

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

September 6th, 2016 18:00

7 Pro (or 10 Pro) supports bitlocker just fine -- only 7 Home and 10 (non-pro) do not.

12 Posts

September 6th, 2016 19:00

Nice and I just found a way to enable it without a TPM.

I would post the link but it is from another site, am I permitted to do that here? Some sites don't like that.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

I forgot about that - it is supported by 8 Pro or 10 Pro, but requires 7 Ultimate  minimum.

1 Message

yes maybe :D

No Events found!