Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 11th, 2010 09:00

Webcam Manager on Windows 7 - Dell Inspiron 1750

Hi!

Please, excuse me for starting a new thread about this topic as I am aware that this issue has been brought up several times in the past but the posts are quite old and have not been solved.

I recently bought a Dell Inspiron 1750 and updated to Windows 7.. Everything is working fine and I could obtain drivers for all hardware on the laptop. The webcam also seems to be working fine (under skype) but I could not find the Webcam Manager software so as to access the webcam directly, and not through skype.

I have been on the Driver Download website but the only application related to the webcam seemed to be an upgrade/patch but this meant that the previous version of the software had to be already installed on the system. 

I tried to look for the Webcam software under the list of drivers for Vista, without any success.

I guess the software must have come with the Driver CD of the laptop but unfortunately, I bought a second hand one and didn't get any CDs.

I would be very grateful if anyone could tell me where I can find the Webcam Manager software for Windows 7, or the previous version which would then need to be upgraded using the patch.

Thank you!

Shuhaib

263 Posts

April 11th, 2010 13:00

QIAUNU S,

Software is on a disk that you don't have. Open Device manager, open imaging devices and the webcam should be there. Right click and look at properties to see who the manufacture is. You will have to search out the model of cam if possible.  Go to there website for the software download. Generally for the integrated webcam, the driver should also be part of the download.

Hope this helps.

263 Posts

April 11th, 2010 17:00

Shuhaib,

It appear you have a generic MS driver. I have one also but the Manufacture of my webcam is Logitech. I have their driver and software loaded as well. That is why you need to find out who made the cam in your system. If you open driver details on the screen shot you sent, look at the details for the maunfacture.  If you go into Devices and printers from the control panel, does your cam show up there? If so, right click, open properties and look at the hardware to see if it list manufacture.

Dave 

5 Posts

April 11th, 2010 17:00

Hey Belboy3! Thx for your quick reply! I tried to do what you said, but it seems I already messed things up.. It looks like windows used its own driver for the integrated webcam and looking at its properties in Device Manager says that the manufacturer is "Microsoft", as you can see in the screenshot below.

I guess I'll have to look for the original driver CD to be able to get the software.. But it's weird why no one has uploaded it somewhere on the web yet! Lol!

Anyway..thanks lots for your reply.. If you have any other suggestion, please do let me know! Thanks for your help!

Shuhaib

5 Posts

April 12th, 2010 02:00

HI Dave. I tried to look at the Driver and Details tabs from the device properties - I did find an option from a Drop-dpwn menu under the Details tab which says the Manufacturer is...Microsoft! And it's strange why the webcam isn't listed in Devices and Printers, although it has got a driver installed..

I think that I'll need to find someone who got an inspiron 1750 and ask him to either check the manufacturer on his laptop or send me the webcam's software. It's annoying why Dell only put the patch without the main software.. Afterall, you can't do anything with it if you havent got a Dell Machine!

Thanks for your help Dave..really appreciate it..

Shuhaib

263 Posts

April 12th, 2010 10:00

Shuhaib,

Sorry you couldn't find what you need. I am surprised your cam doesn't show up in devices and printers. One alternative you have is to go into device drivers and delete the cam driver by MS. Don't let Windows update the driver and then see who it lists as the manufacture. I realize this would mess up skype so it's only a suggestion..You could then go back and update the driver in device drivers. Won't promise this will make skype work but maybe worth a try. 

Good luck.

Dave

12 Posts

September 17th, 2010 02:00

Hello,

I have the same laptop and have searched everywhere for the solution to this problem for quite some time, and have finally come up with a working solution. This has been verified to work on Windows 7 64-bit.

These files are actually for the Dell Inspiron 1440 laptop (which my fiancee has) but the camera is the same in both the 1750 and 1440.

The files you will need are as follows. You will need both files in order to install the webcam. You can find them by searching for them on Google:

(R216115) R216115.exe - Webcam Drivers
(R230103) Dell_SX2210-Monitor_Webcam SW RC1.1_ R230103.exe - Webcam Central

I truly hope this works as well for you as it did for me!

Cheers,
Joe

5 Posts

September 17th, 2010 03:00

Hey Joe!

Thanks for sharing your solution! I'll try to install the two drivers and will let you know the outcome afterwards. Many thanks again!

Shuhaib

2 Posts

September 17th, 2010 14:00

Hi,

I see that we've got some wizards here..so i thought maybe somebody could help me with my problem as well. Sorry shuhaib for intruding in your thread..i hope you won't mind.

My friend left her dell inspirion 1520 with me. It has windows 7 running on it. The problem i've been facing, using this machine, is that no version of Yahoo messenger seems to support the webcam. Webcam doesn't work with yahoo messenger. It did work fine with skype until I upgraded Yahoo messenger to version 10. Since then Webcam stopped working for skype as well. I can't quite guess where the problem lies. Is it with the webcam drivers or is there any conflict between skype and yahoo? CD that contained drivers of webcam has been lost. Kindly suggest what could be done. Thank you

Mishel

12 Posts

September 17th, 2010 14:00

No problem. I hope it works for you!

12 Posts

September 17th, 2010 17:00

Hi Mishel,

When you check the Device Manager (Start>Right Click Computer>Properties>Device Manager) does the webcam under Imaging devices have a yellow exclamation point on it? If not, you could try reinstalling the drivers. The easiest way to do this is to right click on the camera, Uninstall, and then reboot the laptop. This will allow your computer to reinitialize the camera with the most current drivers installed on your system.

Let me know if this is of any help.

Cheers,
Joe

1 Message

December 22nd, 2010 08:00

Shuhaib,

I needed exactly the same thing you need that is:

R168730.exe

Which I found on Dell's web page>Drivers&Downloads>Inspiron 1525>Creative Labs- Application which applies to Dell Webcam Manager

Just download it. Good luck:emotion-5:

*switch the model only

4 Posts

August 15th, 2011 01:00

Hi everyone,

After reading all above problems and solutions I hope, I will get my problem solved from you guys. I am also having same problem like that of Mishel. I have inspiron n5110 with windows 7 64bit. I am having trouble with webcam while I try to use it with yahoo messenger and skype. Messenger and skype are not supporting my webcam. If you guys have any solution please help me.

Ashok

5 Posts

August 22nd, 2011 13:00

my camera worked fine for almost a year... when i started using SKYPE, that's when i noticed my web camera wasn't working as well, and then i started getting that evil error message, "PLEASE PLUG IN A SUPPORTING DEVICE"!!! i tried reinstalling software for the camera as well... someone suggested holding my finger next to.the camera where the light comes on... and it did light up and work for a few seconds... someone also suggested different links for device drivers, but i had the original drivers, which i did install, but nothing worked!!! i had to send my computer back to dell (thank GOD it was still under warranty) they sent it back and it still wasn't working, so they had to send it back out, and i made sure it worked before it left bestbuy... MAKE SURE YOU CHECK IT SEVERAL TIMES BEFORE LEAVING THE STORE...

5 Posts

my camera worked fine for almost a year... when i started using SKYPE, that's when i noticed my web camera wasn't working as well, and then i started getting that evil error message, "PLEASE PLUG IN A SUPPORTING DEVICE"!!! i tried reinstalling software for the camera as well... someone suggested holding my finger next to.the camera where the light comes on... and it did light up and work for a few seconds... someone also suggested different links for device drivers, but i had the original drivers, which i did install, but nothing worked!!! i had to send my computer back to dell (thank GOD it was still under warranty) they sent it back and it still wasn't working, so they had to send it back out, and i made sure it worked before it left bestbuy... MAKE SURE YOU CHECK IT SEVERAL TIMES BEFORE LEAVING THE STORE...

5 Posts

No Events found!