Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 28th, 2009 00:00

Webcam Not working "Please plug in a supported webcam"

Well i bought a Dell laptop Inspiron 1514 yesterday and when i got it home the webcam was working on it fine and when i tried it again today it wont work and it keeps saying "Please plug in a supported webcam" The webcam is also built into the dell laptop.

7 Posts

November 5th, 2013 09:00

Hi all you frustrated ones.  Here's an update on my previous post. It is true that I cured the problem by moving the laptop lid backward and forwards some years ago. Believing the problem was a lose connection I even attempted the recommended opening of the screen but quickly decided against it. However, for sometime now (at least a year) I have had the problem return and the laptop lid approach did not work. Back in July I decided to rebuild the laptop and things appeared to be OK again. But the problem quickly returned. As you will see below, I believe at the moment it comes from installing more recent versions of Skype.

However, having some time (and prompted by a more recent post saying the laptop lid worked for him) I have spent all afternoon trying to understand what is going on at the USB and webcam comms level. The Dell diagnostics tests confirmed there was a comms error but only gave cryptic error codes.  The error msg from Dell Webcam Central was saying "stop the other video streaming app". But I had uninstalled and wiped the registry of all Skype references. I tried to look in the services list for another video streaming app without success (that's not to say there wasn't one but it was obvioius).  Afternoon 5-6 hours and much searching the Internet I came across a post in the Skype user forum.  This post went back in time to Skype V6.5 and the one I have on Win7 was V6.10!.  Anyway, the post refers to integrated webcam problems appearing in Skype V6.6. So I did as recommended and installed Skype V6.7. Lo and behold my Dell (Creative Tech) webcam works again and what is more it integrates with Dell Webcam Central i.e the DWC launches with at the same time you do the Skype webcam video test.  All I can assume is that Skype V6.10 is leaving some software running even after uninstalling and V6.7 is overwriting it. But again, I cannot be 100% sure and this may not work for everyone. I would add that the webcam light was attempting to flash proving that some form of comms was being attempted.  If the culprit is Skype (now Microsoft) I guess a few of us owe Dell an apology, myself included.  For the moment I am a happy bunny!!!

7 Posts

November 5th, 2013 09:00

Hi again

I just wanted to add (and it must be evident to many) that you cannot run two video streaming apps together. In this case, the video recorder/photo image in Dell Webcam Central and Skype must be run one at a time and when switching allow a few seconds for processes to changeover. When Skype runs with DWC, DWC is in IM Mode not Capture Mode.  Hope this helps.

11 Posts

November 6th, 2013 03:00

What was the close open motion?  I didn't see the previous explanation.   I've complained about the video problem for almost 2 years now.

7 Posts

November 6th, 2013 04:00

Hello Chief Leaf

Please see URL which explains a potential hardware issue with USB wiring to webcam 

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-hardware/dell-inspiron-1545-integrated-webcam-not-working/1c12aad3-2a4c-44a5-a88c-a749685d37bb?page=3

Best Regards

7 Posts

November 9th, 2013 08:00

To Chief Leaf and Experting,

Well the webcam worked for 24 hours and then reverted to not being recognised (Please plug-in supported device, Please close the other video streaming application). I was almost sure that this had to be a software / driver problem and have been trying to discover the source. I got so frustrated I uninstalled Dell Webcam Central, installed Skype and still a problem. Then I moved my screen backwards and forwards whilst running Skype video test and it works again. So I am back to the old solution that it is a wiring issue from the webcam to the USB controller.  Regards to all

November 23rd, 2013 13:00

Well i bought a Dell laptop Inspiron 1514 yesterday and when i got it home the webcam was working on it fine and when i tried it again today it wont work and it keeps saying "Please plug in a supported webcam" The webcam is also built into the dell laptop.

7 Posts

April 5th, 2014 16:00

A further update on my experiences.  I actually had two problems with my Dell Inspiron 1764. One was the webcam and the other was overheating when editing and processing videos.  I purchased a heat sink recently and stripped my laptop down to nothing to replace the heat sink. What I found was a mass build up of dust lodged between the fan and the ridged end piece of the heat sink. I am talking of 1cm x 1cm x 4cm of rubbish. So I cleaned this out. Of course I had to unplug quite a few connectors and reconnect them. You can see the process for Heat Sink and Fan replacement, on Youtube.  The net result is that my laptop no longer overheats as it did and the webcam works again. So either the rubbish was causing a problem to the webcam connector or by re-seating the cable the electrical fault was cured.

January 3rd, 2015 05:00

HELP   my dell laptop inspiron windows 7  the web cam keeps saying plug in a support device and i  dont have one and dont know what kind of support device.               help!

7 Posts

January 3rd, 2015 14:00

Hi, I am assuming your Dell insprion has an integrated webcam. The error message refers to trying to start up this integrated webcam. I have found it can be a loose connection inside the laptop which may be corrected intermittently by moving the laptop lid back and forth. You can see the error if you install SKYPE and use the tools->options->video menu to test the webcam.  You will find other solutions in this and other forums. I changed a fan in my inspiron 1734 and reseated the usb webcam connection. It has be OK for most of the time but still I have intermittent webcam connectivity problems.  Good luck

1 Message

September 14th, 2015 02:00

hhaaha

No Events found!