Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 13th, 2010 05:00

Weird battery behavior

I have a Studio 15 laptop purchased in August of this year.  I noticed that sometimes after I have been using the laptop on battery life, it will stop charging. Most of the time when this occurs it says it is plugged in and charged to 97%.  This occurred the last two mornings. Today the battery is at 100%.  I also noticed that sometimes the power pack can get warmer that it should and make a noise even if I have it plugged into a surge protector.  Late last night my son sent me a text that his new Studio 15 was not charging at all. We both have extended warranties on these laptops. Is there something with these batteries and or the power packs? I searched online and didn't find very many current issues with the Studio 15 in regards to batteries. Thanks,

2 Posts

October 13th, 2010 07:00

I have a similar problem with an inspiration 1525.  With increasing frequency I see a message "plugged in but not charging".  Sometimes it does charge when on.  Sometimes it will charge to 100%. I have tried several charging units.  It has been at 15% charge for over a week.  Any thoughts.

Johbel

October 13th, 2010 07:00

So, did Dell replace either your battery, your charger or both? I'm going to call at some point and also have my son call about his. I feel bad for my son, this is his second Dell laptop and he seems to get the lemons all the time.  Our laptops are less than three months old so the battery is covered under the first year warranty.

October 13th, 2010 11:00

Dell is replacing the motherboard on my son's laptop. He called before he went to his afternoon class. I guess the laptop is getting no power and is dead some of the time.

2 Posts

October 13th, 2010 11:00

My laptop is out of warrentee.  I have replaced the charger but still have the same problem.  Six months ago I read that some people had changed the battery but that didnt solve the problem.  I have upgraded the bios and moved to windows home 7. I am thinking it must be a problem inside the laptop.  You should push Dell to solve the problem before the warrentee runs out.  I am surprised not to find more links to this problem.   Good Luck 

No Events found!