Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

January 4th, 2010 17:00

What do I get to plug in to the Antenna In connector port on my Studio 1745?

Hey guys! I have talked to 3 different representatives at Dell and none of them can give me an answer on what I need to plug in to the Antenna In connector port on my Studio 1745. I talked to 2 people in tech support and 1 person in Sales and nobody can seem to give me an answer.

This is what the port looks like.

Also, I tried plugging in a regular Coax from the wall because that's what appears to go into this slot but it's too big to fit.

The manual for the laptop says that this port is used to plug in an External antenna for watching TV but I can't find anything online or on the Dell Store other than TV Tuner cards.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

13 Posts

January 4th, 2010 18:00

Well as I see it is not a standard connector, so you! Dell has done it again ....! jejeje I recommend you look for a cable extender, the extender has two points or two connectors that look just like the antenna Connector TVs, one will connect to that port and the other to cable, better check this out:

You can get at the hardware store, it carries the image if you want or want more information search Google Images "dual antenna connector"

He tells me as I was!

January 4th, 2010 18:00

oh man thank you SOOO much! i really appreciate that!

one thing while i'm on the subject of this TV device...When I was setting up Windows Media Center last night, I noticed that it said that there wasn't a TV Tuner connected to the computer... any idea why that might be? I couldn't see why that plugin would be there if there wasn't a TV tuner inside connected to it you know?

thanks again for the reply!

13 Posts

January 5th, 2010 07:00

The tuner is the antenna cable, if not connected that message will appear.

14 Posts

February 6th, 2010 07:00

Hi, did you resolve this problem thablakester?

Perky

February 6th, 2010 09:00

No, I sure haven't :(

I walked in to Radio Shack, showed the guy the port as well as the pictures you posted up and his exact words were "You're screwed" LOL

Too bad Dell doesn't help out here because how can you sell a product and not know how to use it?...makes no sense...

14 Posts

February 7th, 2010 05:00

Possibly it is a bespoke connection for Dell and if you buy the Laptop WITH T.V. installed you get the antenna connection lead!

Could you check something on your 1745 for me?   I have a mysterious Other Device with a missing driver.   I think it may be the TV card but I do not know.

Click Start/right click Computer/left click Manage/double click Device Manger.

You should now see a list of devices on your computer.   About half way down you might see an icon for Other Devises.   Mine has a question mark on it, does yours?

If it does not do you know what this controls?

Thanks

Perky

3 Posts

February 7th, 2010 08:00

Perkymite, I checked my Device Manager and I don't have a listing for Other Device.  I found what I'm reasonably sure is the TV Card driver under Device Manager -> Sound, video and game controllers -> AVerMedia A338 Hybrid Analog/ATSC.

Thablakester, my Studio 1745 came with a tv tuner installed.  I'm completely lost when it comes to understanding (or even finding!) some of the configuration details, but here's all the information I have that seemed remotely relevant.

The packing slip that came with the laptop lists:
317-2378 Integrated TV Tuner

The System Configuration link on support.dell.com lists:
H387T Module, Tuner, TVT18, Avermedia, Internal, ATSC/QA
C69NC KIT..., TUNER..., TVT17, AVME, INTERNAL..., ATSC/QA

Running a search on the part numbers doesn't turn up anything, but I thought it might be useful to tech support, if you call them again.

Other than that, there's one other thing I found that might be helpful.  Based on the driver, I'm assuming the tuner is an AVerMedia A338 Hybrid Analog/ATSC (and if there's a better way of finding out configuration information, please tell me!).  I went to AVerMedia's website and found a couple of items under Accessories that look like they might possibly fit.  The pictures don't show enough detail to be sure.  You might want to contact AVerMedia's customer support and see if they can help.

Anyway, the link is http://www.avermedia-usa.com/AVerTV/Product/Accessory.aspx
and the items can be purchased through http://www.avermedia-usa.com/AVerTV/estore/estore.html

The items in question are:

--RF Connector Cable (Long)
SKU# 064AANT-A96
MMCX connector to RF connector (F-Type) long cable for AVerTV Hybrid NanoExpress and AVerTVHD Volar.

--RF Connector Cable          (Short)
SKU# 064ARF-A9G
MMCX connector to RF connector (F-Type) short cable for AVerTV Hybrid NanoExpress and AverTVHD Volar.         

There is also:
--Portable Antenna (Screw-in)
SKU# 064AANT-A9S                 
Portable Screw-in, Non Magnetic Antenna                                            
This looks like the antenna that came with my system, but the picture doesn't show any cables or connectors so I can't be sure.  Again, you might want to contact customer support.

Anyway, I hope some of this info helps.  If you do find an antenna or cable that fits, please let me know where; now that I know how hard they are to locate I want to buy a spare or two.

Good luck,
CobaltSky

2 Posts

February 9th, 2010 10:00

Hello there,

I have searched high and low trying to find information about this, and this is the only posting I can find.  Have you any luck at all making progress on a cable or connector or any insight.  I have not tired dell yet but looks like your attempts garnered zero help.  I hope we can figure this out,  as I would like to use this feature as well....

February 9th, 2010 10:00

Me too! I'm tired of everybody trying to sell me a TV tuner card because that's not what we need obviously

2 Posts

March 1st, 2010 15:00

Blakester, I still have found zero information and the geek squad has been no help either.  Have you any new information or find what would be needed to plug into this?  Is there some sort of adapter that we are looking for you think? 

March 1st, 2010 15:00

No sir... I've got NOTHING on it yet... Like the manual says though, it's an External Antenna plug in so there has to be an antenna of some sort somewhere for it... I just don't get why Dell isn't trained enough to know what the hell it is that they're putting inside the systems they sell...

1 Rookie

• 

11.1K Posts

March 1st, 2010 16:00

MMCX is a type of RF connector it is small so it is very possible that that is the connector in question.

You can see photos of them at   http://www.amphenolrf.com/products/CatalogPages/MMCX.pdf

I would buy those Avermedia cables.

March 1st, 2010 16:00

Ok guys I FINALLY got the answer!!! This is what you need and it's pretty much USELESS unless you live in an area that has a lot of over the air digital channels. My area only has TWO channels that this antenna would pick up. We're actually better off buying a USB Tuner & plugging in a coax cable

http://www.cross-mark.com/digital-dvbt-tuner-laptop-dongle-silver-p-678.html

and here's the site to see which stations the antenna would pick up if you bought it

http://www.antennaweb.org/aw/Stations.aspx

Hope this helps!

4 Posts

March 16th, 2010 14:00

Not sure who is still following this, but I just got my 1745 and opened up the back to expose hard drives, cards etc. I have a small empty slot that is marked "TV Tuner" will a small cable lying beide it. The cable has a clear plastic protective cover. I assume it is connected to the external antenna port? Have any of you opened the bottom cover and looked to see for sure that you have a tuner card? Its very easy to see. If you do, can you get the model or part number? I wanta buy one for mine,

Thanks!!

1 Message

May 16th, 2010 21:00

--RF Connector Cable          (Short)
SKU# 064ARF-A9G
MMCX connector to RF connector (F-Type) short cable for AVerTV Hybrid NanoExpress and AverTVHD Volar. 

That is the adapter that came with my laptop and mine got broke so I went to the site mentioned and wouldn't ya know it? It is out of stock. Do you know of any other place that might have one?

No Events found!