Highlighted
Patrick G.
2 Iron

What do I need to drive two external Dell monitors with my XPS9360-3591SLV?

Jump to solution

I just purchased a XPS9360-3591SLV laptop and would like to drive two external Dell monitors which have DVI-D ports. Ideally, this would be a docking station. Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
jphughan
5 Rhenium

RE: What do I need to drive two external Dell monitors with my XPS9360-3591SLV?

Jump to solution

If you want to use a docking station, you have two options:

- If you're ok being limited to 1080p resolution with dual displays (or 2560x1600 when using one display), look at the WD15 docking station.  With an XPS 13 9360, you could order the version with only the 130W adapter, but the 180W adapter version is the same cost and will allow the dock to be used with systems that require more power, such as the XPS 15. It MAY also be able to charge the XPS 13 9360 faster, but I haven't confirmed that.  The only downside to the version with the larger AC adapter is that the AC adapter is physically larger (the dock is exactly the same), but if you'll just have that on the floor hidden away somewhere, then you may as well get 180W version.

- If you want to be able to go as high as dual 4K displays, you would need the TB16 dock instead.  It's available with 180W and 240W adapters (since the dock itself requires more power than the WD15), and once again the XPS 13 9360 can use the lower 180W option, but the same logic as above applies for considering the 240W version instead.

Whichever dock you buy, you will also need to buy dongles to convert the DisplayPort, Mini-DisplayPort, and/or HDMI outputs available on the dock to DVI.  It doesn't matter which source outputs you use for DVI since even HDMI can support up to 2560x1600, and I'm unaware of any DVI displays that can go higher than that.

If you want to look at less expensive options, there are ways to do this with just dongles or adapters rather than a full dock, but those options have a few additional factors to watch out for, particularly with the types of DVI adapters that can be used, so I'd prefer to know more about your display resolutions before making recommendations there.  However, the dock is of course a more convenient solution since it also includes USB, Ethernet, audio, and AC power all on a single cable.

0 Kudos
Patrick G.
2 Iron

RE: What do I need to drive two external Dell monitors with my XPS9360-3591SLV?

Jump to solution

Thanks!

0 Kudos