Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

H

November 4th, 2016 10:00

What is so special about an Inspiron 17R 7720 "Special Edition"?

I have two Dell Inspiron 17R 7720 laptops. My "old" one I bought direct from Dell in 2012, the "new" one, advertised as an "Inspiron 17R 7720 Special Edition",  I bought on Ebay a couple of weeks ago. I still have the original paperwork for the old one from when I purchased it from Dell and there is no mention of "Special Edition" in the paperwork. Both are identified only as "Inspiron 7720" on the label on the underside of the computer, and there are no "Special Edition" markings or labeling anywhere on the new computer.

Hardware is pretty much identical, 1TB Samsung ST1000LM024HN HDDs, 8 GB RAM, Intel HD Graphics 4000/Nvidia GeForce GT 650M Video/3D graphics, Backlit Keyboard on both. The only hardware differences are the old computer has an Intel Core i7-3610QM processor (specified by me when I ordered the computer) and a 32GB mSATA SSD while the new computer has an Intel Core i5-3210M processor and no mSATA SSD. 

So what makes the "Special Edition" so special? Is there REALLY anything different about "Special Edition" computers, or was that just some sort of marketing hype?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

November 4th, 2016 10:00

The mSATA cache drive was one of the differentiators.  When that system was built, SSDs were appreciably more expensive than they are now.

38 Posts

November 4th, 2016 11:00

Okay, but my "Special Edition" doesn't have the mSATA drive while my "base" computer does; so are you saying the "Special Edition" was a lower priced/value edition?

No Events found!