Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 23rd, 2012 06:00

What is the speed of the SATA controller in Dell Inspiron 15R Special Edition (a.k.a. 7520)?

Hi,

I have a Dell Inspiron 15R Special Edition (a.k.a. 7520).

Could someone from Dell confirm to me the speed of the SATA controller? Is it SATA 3 Gbps or SATA 6 Gbps?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 23rd, 2012 18:00

The system fully supports SATA 6G operation.

1.1K Posts

June 23rd, 2012 14:00

Hi innogen

Welcome to the community.

If your system has been shipped with a HD(hard drive), then the SATA controller's speed will be 3 Gbit/s however, if your system has been shipped with a SSD(solid state drive),  SATA controller's speed is 6 Gbit/s on your system.

Hope this information helps.

Glad to assist you!

Vikram Makkar

Social Outreach Professional

120 Posts

June 23rd, 2012 17:00

Hi Vikram

Thanks for your reply even though it is VERY vague.

My laptop is a Dell Inspiron 15R Special Edition (a.k.a. Dell Inspiron 7520).

It comes with 1TB of 5400rpm Western Digital drive. And a 32GB Samsung P830 mSATA SSD (solid state drive) in a RAID configuration. I guess the mSATA SSD is used to enable Intel SRT (Smart Response Technology).

So please answer my original question directly: is my SATA controller 3 Gbps or 6 Gbps enabled?

1.1K Posts

June 24th, 2012 15:00

Hi innogen

If your system has been shipped with mSATA SSD-SATA 2 the speed is 3 Gb/s and if your system has mSATA SSD-SATA 3, the speed is 6 Gb/s. Hope this information helps.

Please revert back if you are unaware of which SSD has been shipped with your system or if need any further clarification.

Glad to assist you!

Vikram Makkar

Social Outreach Professional

You can reach us at http://en.community.dell.com/

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 24th, 2012 17:00

That makes absolutely no sense.  The SATA support is from the chipset - which is the same - and fully supports SATA 6G - in all cases.

120 Posts

August 16th, 2012 09:00

I removed the 1TB hard disk drive (brand: Western Digital) that was pre-installed at the factory and put in its place a solid state drive (SSD) whose manufacturer claimed to run at SATA 6Gb/s.

I ran the latest version of SiSoftware Sandra and according to its diagnostics, my SSD is running at the clock speed of SATA 6Gb/s.

Verdict: Inspiron 15R SE/7520 supports SATA 6Gb/s (or otherwise known as SATA 3 or SATA III).

No Events found!