doozer14
1 Copper

What is this cable with red light at end of microphone jack

I have been cleaning my office today and came across a something I had in a "Mom's laptop bag" of accessories and nobody seems to know what it is.  On one end is an audio jack and on the other end is a very small sort of oval red plastic piece with a red light in it. The wire is very long so must be meant to be used a long way from the computer.  The red piece has a peel and stick backing on it. When I plug it into my microphone jack the laptop detects it and if I choose the microphone option, the red light comes on.  When I plug it into the headphone jack, nothing happens.  What the heck is this little thing?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
7- Thorium

Re: What is this cable with red light at end of microphone jack

doozer14,

Maybe a picture with both ends showing?

Rick

#DellRockstar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

#MicrosoftMVP - Windows Expert-Consumer April 1, 2012 to March 31, 2015

0 Kudos
doozer14
1 Copper

Here it is.  note the very very long cable

0 Kudos
7- Thorium

doozer14,

I have asked some friends to look at the image, maybe they know.

Rick

#DellRockstar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

#MicrosoftMVP - Windows Expert-Consumer April 1, 2012 to March 31, 2015

0 Kudos
Tesla1856
6 Thallium

It appears to be an IR-Blaster:

www.engadget.com/.../hd-101-ir-blasters-hdmi-cec-rs-232-and-ip-control

It likely plugs into something like a TV-Card, or a USB based eHome IR receiver.

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Like many of you, I can appreciate a good game-engine.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.
0 Kudos
sugarbear18
5 Rhenium

It sounds like an Optical digital cable and here is a better explanation than I can give.

www.ehow.com/about_5042802_optical-digital-cable.html

Teddi

#Dell World 2012, 2015, 2016, 2017

0 Kudos
doozer14
1 Copper

Yes! An IR blaster it is.  Now I am curious as to why this was shipped with my Inspiron 1720 laptop. What device is expected to receive the IR signal????   I haven't had time to fully read the link you included but I suspect it will give me some insight.  Thanks for solving the mystery!

0 Kudos
Bay Wolf
5 Rhenium

Per Wikipedia

An infrared blaster (or IR blaster) is a device that emulates an infrared remote control to autonomously control a device that is normally controlled only by remote control key presses. The most common use of an IR blaster is to allow a recording device such as a DVR or VCR to change the channel on an external tuner such as a cable box or satellite receiver. This way, the recording device can automatically select the correct channel to record before starting the recording process. Another common use is to extend infrared signals in order to place remote controlled products behind closed doors.

en.wikipedia.org/.../Infrared_blaster

Forum Member since 2000

Please share your experience with the forum.

0 Kudos
morblore
5 Rhenium

Yes! An IR blaster it is.  Now I am curious as to why this was shipped with my Inspiron 1720 laptop. What device is expected to receive the IR signal????   I haven't had time to fully read the link you included but I suspect it will give me some insight.  Thanks for solving the mystery!

Did the laptop come with a windows media center remote kit? It could be part of that. You get two blasters, a remote, batteries and a IR receiver with the kit.

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Area-51 Cosmic Black/Windows 8 64-bit Pro/BIOS A11
Intel Core i7-980x Extreme Edition @ 4.0 ghz/Intel 160gb X-25M SSD Raid-0
6GB Corsair Dominator GT 1866 DDR3/PNY GeForce GTX 680 SLI/ATI TV Wonder

0 Kudos
ASUS4Life
1 Copper

Awesome!! Thanks guys. I've had one of those cables for 5 years and didn't know what it was for. It came with an up desktop. And yes it did come with a media center kit. Remote, the Ir blaster, a USB receiver for the remote and even a old dial up modem that plugged into USB. Lol. Anyhow so what can I do with this device, this "ir blaster"
0 Kudos