Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 21st, 2009 15:00

What is wrong with Dell?

Last Friday, I went online the Dell site to purchase a hard drive upgrade for my Wife's Inspiron 9300. I entered my service tag number, and the site provided about 15-18 choices of various drives. I chose a 500mb WD drive and placed the order. Later I found out that the Sata drive that was in shipping will not fit her Inspiron. I called Dell, and after being transferred 4-5 times, I spoke with a gentleman that informed me that the Dell website was wrong and the drive we needed was an eide drive. We went down to the b---buy store and purchased a 320mb eide drive.

After some discussion and research, we decided to install the 500mb SATA drive that was on its way from Dell into my Latitude D830 (assuming that the Dell website is correct and it fits). Today, I received an email saying the the drive is out for delivery to my office. I promptly started making a backup copy of the old 120mb drive. As the UPS guy usually delivers to our office before noon, at about 2:30 I tracked the package only to find out that they did not have our office suite number and the package was on its way back to UPS. I called UPS and found out that Dell had clipped the suite number off of the address and the UPS man did not know where to deliver. I gave them the correct suite number and asked them to redeliver (they called back and said they can't). So now, on tomorrow I will have to redo the disk backup so I can have the latest versions of my files/mail. (It "only" takes a couple of hours).

I then tried to call Dell to complain and to  try to find out where the second part of my order (memory sticks) was going to be delivered. After going through several automated phone switches and 2 people, I got a young man that told me that my first package was waiting for me to call UPS and give them my correct address. When i asked him where the 2nd package was going, he told me what was in the package. When I asked again, he told me what was in the package. When I clarifed and re-asked the question, he told me the package was going to Tampa. I again clarifed and asked him where in Tampa, and he said in a firm voice "it isgoing to Tampa, FL", and we then repeated the exercise.

When i asked to speak to his supervisor, he transferred me off to automated-phone-switch-answering-land to again go back through the button pressing. 

In the course of one call I went through 5-6 people, 5-6 automated answering systems, and gave my order number and name probably 8-10 times. Eventually I spoke with someone that told me she was a supervisor. Her only reply to all my frustration was "I regret that you have had a problem", and she instructed me to call UPS and tell them where to deliver the second package.

They don't know what parts go into their computers, they don't know how to ship them to the buyer, and their customer service system is completely a Customer NO-service system.

What has happened to Dell?

Cole

171 Posts

July 21st, 2009 21:00

Why does everyone seem to think that this is the default complaint forum?

I would have just bought the drive from BB, or off eBay, to start with.

2 Posts

July 21st, 2009 23:00

Where *is* the default complaints forum?

I've had a similar experience with the lack of customer service and I am currently writing a letter to Dell becuase I have spent the last 2 weeks trying to get a resolution via the phone and getting nowhere at all, I doubt a paper letter will do much better but I need to be that before approaching the ACCC to lodge a formal complaint.

171 Posts

July 22nd, 2009 01:00

>>>>Where *is* the default complaints forum?<<<<<

Not here!

2 Posts

July 22nd, 2009 17:00

I'm pretty that unless someone makes it clear where the complaints forums is (I have a feeling there isn't one, there wouldn't be a server on the planey able to handle the load) then people will keep posting here.

No Events found!