Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 3rd, 2015 07:00

What's Happening to My Daughter's Laptop

My daughters laptop is only a few weeks old.  She sent me a picture and it looks like the front edge is burnt.  No other problems with the laptop like overheating or not working well but she started noticing this a couple of days ago.  If I could attach a picture I would but I don't see an option to do that.

The laptop is the 2 and 1 and is aluminum.  Any thoughts on what could be happening here?

511 Posts

February 3rd, 2015 13:00

Please do insert a picture. You can insert a picture by pressing one of the two "insert/edit" media buttons, located under the font color buttons. I have outlined the buttons in red.

6 Posts

February 3rd, 2015 13:00

6 Posts

February 3rd, 2015 14:00

Does the palmrest include the front edge of the laptop also?  I sent a text to my daughter who is in school so hopefully she will respond to me tonite.  I'll let you know.

511 Posts

February 3rd, 2015 14:00

I see the spot you are talking about. That is where the front part of the battery is located. It looks like it could be dirty as well, so have your daughter clean the laptop with rubbing alcohol to see if it is dirty. If the spot does not come off, ask her to see if the laptop gets hot in that spot. If it does, stop using the laptop immediately, disconnect it from the charger, and contact Dell support to get the battery replaced as well as the palmrest. 

511 Posts

February 3rd, 2015 16:00

The palmrest should be the entire piece of plastic covering the keyboard area, touchpad area, and it should wrap around to meet the bottom part of the laptop. You should see a line separating the two piece of plastic.

6 Posts

February 5th, 2015 13:00

She said that it doesn't seems to get hot at the spot but I told her to pay attention.  She's in college now so it may take her awhile to actually try cleaning it. I know she doesn't have rubbing alcohol so she might have to find someone to drive her to the store to get some.if no in her dorm has any.  I'll let you know as soon as I hear from her.

Thanks for your help.

6 Posts

February 5th, 2015 14:00

OK, my daughter said that the rubbing alcohol didn't do anything.  Also, the temp on the laptop is normal.  Another guy who knows computers confirmed this also.  Any other thoughts?

6 Posts

February 6th, 2015 08:00

My daughter posted to another forum and they said that the discoloring is probably from sweat and it won't come off.  Does this make sense to you?

511 Posts

February 6th, 2015 08:00

Yes that does make sense. If it was burning it would be hot to the touch.

No Events found!