Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 30th, 2017 21:00

What's the default Aperture size?

Hi,

Currently using precision 7720 with E3-1535m v6. However, BIOS did not provide an option to ajust the Aperture size of the integrated Graphics.

Can anyone give some further information about the default Aperture size? Appreciate if you can tell me how to verify it.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

May 1st, 2017 05:00

Aperture size is an archaic term that harks back to the old AGP video standard -- it hasn't been used in more than a decade.

8 Posts

May 1st, 2017 06:00

But for BIOS that came directly from Intel, that is to say, those NUCs. They have a BIOS option call "IGD Aperture Size", with a description:

"Selects the aperture size for the Integrated Graphics Device (IGD).

The number of supported VMs can be limited by aperture size. If you need to enable multiple VMs in parallel, consider setting a higher aperture size."

Apparently NUC is not some decade ago products, and they have this option. Also, project Intel GVT-g, which merge to the linux kernel recently, suggested that an aperture size of 512MB or more is recommended. Check this link.

Appreciate if you can give any further information.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

May 1st, 2017 11:00

Are you asking about an Intel NUC, or about the Precision notebook?

8 Posts

May 1st, 2017 20:00

Sorry about the confusing. The Aperture size I mentioned is a Integrated graphic related setting. I present NUC as an example, as a precision laptop and a NUC both have a integrated graphics.

Such setting should reflect the amount of memory the system and integrated graphic share in some specific way. What I am not sure is that does this option control by the operating system, so it does not appear in BIOS. Or just manufacturer hide it. And if it is the latter, what is the default value?

Thanks.

8 Posts

May 2nd, 2017 20:00

I ask Intel recently about "Aperture size", check the link down below, hope it can help you understand what I am asking.

communities.intel.com/.../471539

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

May 3rd, 2017 05:00

I understand that you're asking about a server technology on a notebook -- on which Dell doesn't support server operating systems.  That's why the BIOS setting isn't there -- it's not the intended market for this system.

8 Posts

May 3rd, 2017 05:00

Well, that's why I made my compromise and just ask about the default value, instead of a BIOS setting to adjust it.

Plus, I'm not sure how dell define their Ubuntu support, but KVMGT is already inside kernel 4.10, which, I believe will soon be available for Ubuntu 16.04. Thus asking about IGD Aperture size is reasonable.

8 Posts

May 4th, 2017 10:00

After some research, I found out that BOTH Hp and Thinkpad laptop provide such option in BIOS(although using a different name instead of aperture size), so as to adjust the amount of memory preserve for the integrated graphics.

Also, after a second thought, I don't think this option is a server level technology. Apparently most of our laptop have a integrated graphics enabled, and the demand of running VM is relatively high. Programmer, students, researchers need different platform for their experiment, for separated development environment, for testing cross-platform applications. Thus, a higher aperture size is very useful, and should be an adjustable option in BIOS. Furthermore, Intel is also working on this direction to encourage manufacturers set a higher aperture size.

At last, allow me to kindly ask, do you represent Dell?

No Events found!