Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 18th, 2016 05:00

What size SD card should I get to create a recovery disk?

I just bought an inspiron 11 3000 series 2-in-1 for my son for school.

God knows, he'll probably load tons of stuff on it that will eventually slow it down to a crawl and I'll need to refresh it before the school year's up.  So, I want to create a system disc for it before he starts using it and I want use a fresh card solely for that so I can keep it safe and no have it used for something else.

How big of a disk do I need to create this recovery and system disk?  I used to just use the old CD's but,  that was back when I really was just reinstalling the generic Windows and didn't care about the drivers and such for my desktops.  I want to keep his laptop pretty much factory OEM to make our lives a little easier in the long run.

Would an 8gb be plenty for this? 

Thanks

6 Posts

August 18th, 2016 09:00

This flash drive will be dedicated to the backup, so anything over 16G is wasted. 64G may be a better value in general, but in this case I recommend the cheapest 16G thumb drive you can find, and I'd also make two just to be safe.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 18th, 2016 07:00

You need a 16G or larger flash drive -- given current prices, the sweet spot of price/gig is at 64G now - though the 32s aren't much more expensive per gigabyte.

5 Posts

August 18th, 2016 21:00

OK.  thanks.

So I should look more at Thumb Drives than SD cards?

I've never done these with the newer, Non-Optical Drive, computers before.  I've always had a CD/DVD/BluRay player on all my computers so this is new to me.

6 Posts

August 18th, 2016 22:00

Yeah, I doubt your computer can boot from the SD card, so you're best off using a USB thumb drive.  I'm actually considering a USB DVD drive because we have so many laptops now that don't have them built in. But on the other hand one would be enough for the whole family.

No Events found!