Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 5th, 2010 15:00

When importing video - reboot, freeze or blue screen (5 weeks new 1558)

Hi, I've e-mailed technical support but wondered if anybody can help.  It does happen on every occasion but quite frequently and only when I import video.

I got this 1558 5 weeks ago and had the firewire connection as part of the customised build as my camcorder requires.

It doesn't happen every time - I'm not sure what triggers it but before the import finishes it sometimes freezes and I have to take battery out to get it rebooted.  It sometimes just reboots or I get the blue screen and it reboots with a dump log.  Sometimes it also gives me an error saying video media not compatible or says the device been switched off when it hasn't, or says I've tried to re=start while it's already running.  Its happened from the 1st time I tried to import video.  I saw on Dell that downloading BIOS 6 might help but I it has BIOS 4 which says I need to solve.  I've checked for virus, run dell diagnistocs and scanned hard drive but doesn't resolve.

It took me ages to decide on a laptop which I could get a firewire on and feel a little frustrated this seems to be the only thing that doesn't work properly.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

July 5th, 2010 18:00

a laptop isn't the idea mechanism for importing video since laptop hard drives run at 5400rpm whereas a desktop PC's hard drive runs at 7200rpm

sometimes it is just a matter of the hardware not being able to keep up

19 Posts

July 5th, 2010 20:00

I do not think it's a hard drive speed issuse and laptop hard drives come in all speeds just like a desktop.

More likely it's that the laptop is entering sleep mode or hibernate even the screen going black will give the graphic card a hard time!

Try adjusting power settings and the advance settings too.

Video rending is the most intensive work a computer can do so make sure nothing else is running!

And you do not have to take the battery out, just press and hold down the power button until it shuts down!

4 Posts

July 6th, 2010 12:00

Thanks for the tip on the power down.  I'd already adjusted the sleep and hibernate mode to never.  You have given me a thought about the screen saver, this i looping in the background showing all my photos.  I just thought with an i3 CPU M 350  @ 2.27GHz, 2266 Mhz,4GB of memory and Radeon HD 4570 that would be enough to import a 60 min video to a 500GB hard drive.  Could it be the firewire card?

Thanks for the help above, I'll await a response from tech support

19 Posts

July 6th, 2010 17:00

Any time glad to help, I do not have your setup so detailed help would be hard.

But make sure all screen savers are off and changing back round picture is off, you would be digging into the capabilty of the graphics card.

and are you converting while importing? I've found it's best to download the raw file first and then do what ever you need.

4 Posts

July 9th, 2010 11:00

Hi again, quick update - even with the photos turned off and no desktop picture it still didn't work.

Dell did send me some links for new drivers but they didn't work so the guy took control of my laptop and said he needed to install new Chipset drivers, deleted the filters from the registry files and updated the Bios from 4 to 6.  I thought it had cracked it but no luck, although the screen is just freezing and laptop locking up now on import - it doesn't appear to be re-booting from the blue screen (but I have to re-boot anyway).

I also tried my DVD burner and keep getting the message that the disc is not re-writable.  I've even been out to but another pack of DVD re-writeable discs to be sure and it still isn't working.

I also get an intermittent fault that says the camcorder is still running on this computer, you cannot start another instance ubntil this instance is stopped.  This is following another message saying the camcorder had been disconected.  I don't touch it.  It appears like something is turning the camcorder feed off & then back on again.

So I still have the same problems and some more.  E-mailed Dell and hopefully they will call back.

My system  info is below if this helps -

MS Windows 7 Home Edition, Version 6.1.7600 Build 7600, 64-bit, Intel i3 CPU M350 @ 2.27ghz, RAM 4GB, ATI Mobility Radean HD4570, Intel 5 series/3400 series chipset, wireles n, Ricoh I394, PLDS DVD+-RW DL-8ATS ATA Device.

4 Posts

July 9th, 2010 12:00

with a 5400rpm

19 Posts

July 9th, 2010 15:00

Wow!

If it were me, I would do a Dell system restore to factory condition.

And Start over.

No Events found!