Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 5th, 2009 22:00

When will the XPS M1730 fully support Windows 7?

I've browsed various forums and not seen a confirmed answer from our friends at Dell.  The M1730 is MORE than capable of running Windows 7 - I currently have Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit RTM installed.  Everything seems to work well for the most part, although I do experience video driver crashes from time-to-time.  They tend to occur when I'm playing World of Warcraft (not the most graphically intense application out there).  Searching the internets yielded no solid results, but I suspect it may be a heat issue.  That leads me to believe that this is the reason the M1730 is NOT currently on the Windows 7 supported hardware list, but I'd like to know specifically why and if/when we will see Windows 7 drivers and support from Dell.

Video drivers are the latest and greatest from Nvidia at the time of this posting and all other drivers are either Windows 7 native or Windows 7 drivers from the manufacturer.

Windows Advisor states that the M1730 fully supports Windows 7, why doesn't Dell?

My system information is (from DXDiag):

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 10/5/2009, 21:27:13
       Machine name: XXXXXXX
   Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_rtm.090713-1255)
           Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
       System Model: MXG071                         
               BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A10
          Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     T9300  @ 2.50GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.5GHz
             Memory: 4096MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 4094MB RAM
          Page File: 2168MB used, 6017MB available
        Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
   User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
 System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
     DxDiag Version: 6.01.7600.16385 32bit Unicode

------------
DxDiag Notes
------------
      Display Tab 1: No problems found.
        Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
        Sound Tab 2: No problems found.
          Input Tab: No problems found.

--------------------
DirectX Debug Levels
--------------------
Direct3D:    0/4 (retail)
DirectDraw:  0/4 (retail)
DirectInput: 0/5 (retail)
DirectMusic: 0/5 (retail)
DirectPlay:  0/9 (retail)
DirectSound: 0/5 (retail)
DirectShow:  0/6 (retail)

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
          Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 8800M GTX
       Manufacturer: NVIDIA
          Chip type: NVxx
           DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
         Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_060C&SUBSYS_019C1028&REV_A2
     Display Memory: 2288 MB
   Dedicated Memory: 497 MB
      Shared Memory: 1791 MB
       Current Mode: 1920 x 1200 (32 bit) (59Hz)
       Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
      Monitor Model: DELL2407WFPHC
         Monitor Id: DELA026
        Native Mode: 1920 x 1200(p) (59.950Hz)
        Output Type: DVI
        Driver Name: nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um
Driver File Version: 8.16.0011.8681 (English)
     Driver Version: 8.16.11.8681
        DDI Version: 10
       Driver Model: WDDM 1.1
  Driver Attributes: Final Retail
   Driver Date/Size: 8/19/2009 13:35:00, 9544192 bytes
        WHQL Logo'd: n/a
    WHQL Date Stamp: n/a
  Device Identifier: {D7B71E3E-454C-11CF-7152-97211DC2C535}
          Vendor ID: 0x10DE
          Device ID: 0x060C
          SubSys ID: 0x019C1028
        Revision ID: 0x00A2

2.2K Posts

October 6th, 2009 08:00

Considering how much money nVidia has already lost on the 8xxx laptop series cards, they may be totally done with any new development for it.

23 Posts

October 7th, 2009 10:00

Thanks for the reply but tat doesn't really answer my question.  Dell has yet to provide an answer for WHY they aren't supporting Win7 on the 1730.  Considering it's a relatively new system (I believe they stopped selling it less than a year ago), I'm surprised that they won't support the latest Windows OS, especially since NVidia has drirver support for the 8800Ms (if this is, in fact, the reason they won't support it).

2.2K Posts

October 7th, 2009 12:00

From your first post, it seemd to imply you found all the drivers for Win 7 except for the nVidia.... That is why I went down that path.

I am confused now. If you found the graphics card driver, and it sounded like you found all the others, what part of the 1730 is not supported?

EDIT: Okay, I see Dell's list of computers that are Windows 7 compatible. Interesting, it has the 1330 and the 1530, but not the 1730. I would almost think the list is wrong, especially if the MS upgrade advisor says so.... It seems like Dell's list is very short and that many possibly compatible systems are  not there...

Sorry - I understand now, but can't explain it.

23 Posts

October 8th, 2009 13:00

No worries.  Sorry if I wasn't clear to begin with.  Yes, I found the official Windows 7 release drivers from Nvidia.  Glad I'm not the only one who's scratching their head at the list of Windows 7 compatible computers.

23 Posts

October 12th, 2009 20:00

I just re-installed Win 7 RTM 64bit on my M1730. Have been using since b4 the first beta.

I checked my device manager, and there is a "Base System Device" that I cannot get the driver for.

I installed Win7, then Physx, then nVidia (from nvidia.com) the latest driver for the Logitech display, and everything else from Windows Update.

I never realized this on previous versions, but any ideas on what can this be? I have been checking the Device manager list and Dell's drivers page for WinVista, just to figure out what this could be.

Unfortunately there is still no intel driver for the chipset that supports Win7.

any Ideas?

11 Posts

October 14th, 2009 01:00

The base system device may be the Ricoh card reader?

106 Posts

October 17th, 2009 10:00

Interesting question

I'm running an XPS M1710 win 7 64bit RTM 4GB RAM and was wondering exactly the same....!

So, if anyone from dell could let us know I too would most appriciate it.

To be honest, with the RTM I have found it more problematic than the RC - Bluetooth issues driving me crazy...I did raise a post on the technet forum addresses to Todd Schiele from MS. He did reply but it didn't resolve my issues.

So if dell can publish a new driver that would be great too

109 Posts

October 20th, 2009 08:00

XPS M1730, Windows Vista 32-bit.

I ran the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor last night and it pretty much approved everything, except an old printer that I have. Advised to uninstall Windows Mobile and reinstall it after the upgrade. I am going to run the upgrade. I have 2 xtra hard drives and data on another. I have nothing to loose in trying.

I was wondering about the notebook system software as well. I also noted that the majority of the drivers have the same number than those for Windows Vista. But I guess they are compatible.

106 Posts

October 20th, 2009 10:00

Reading around, I wouldn't upgrade - I'd do a fresh clean install and leave all the vista baggage behind in the past - go on turn over a new leaf and wipe the slate clean

think about 64bit too

23 Posts

October 22nd, 2009 00:00

Sure, which is what I did.  Unfortunately Dell has been completely silent on why they won't support Windows 7 on the XPS M1730.  I don't buy the "it's an old system" line - their own support grid shows that they support Windows 7 on older models.

I honestly don't mind waiting for my laptop to be officially supported but I'd like to know why it isn't SPECIFICALLY.  As in, "we're having problems getting such-and-such to work correctly in Windows 7" or "we're seeing a heat issue with this component using the drivers we have."  SOMETHING.  The silence is deafening in my humble opinion.

And I agree with Mantari - I did a clean install of Win7 Ultimate 64-Bit RTM.

1 Message

October 23rd, 2009 01:00

It's probably for the same reason why Dell doesn't want to provide a free windows 7 upgrade to Dell XPS M1730 customers. I'm also annoyed by the fact that Dell doesn't support my XPS M1730 but that's Dell for you.

109 Posts

October 23rd, 2009 07:00

I had the same problem. After I gave up on 64 bit and when I was installing 32 bit, I noticed that I never installed the Intel chipset, which I thought might probably have been the Base System Device. This would be an important driver. Did you try the Vista 64-bit? Unfortunately, there are lots of drivers not available yet.

9 Posts

October 27th, 2009 13:00

Hello all,

I too am somewhat surprised at the lack of support (at this point) for Windows 7 on our XPS M1730 laptops.  Being an IT guy, I have no fear of trying things though, and thought I would share my results with you.

I just installed Windows 7 Ultimate 64 on my M1730 last night.  I had replaced my original and slower RAID 0 (striped) 340GB 5400 rpm drives, with a pair of 500GB 7200 rpm drives, also configured in RAID 0 for performance. There were several items showing as unkown in device manager, as you have all witnessed.  However, using the Vista 64 drivers from the Dell web site, I was able to load suitable drivers for ALL unknown devices.  The unknown Base System Device is the Ricoh R5C833 listed under Chipset, as mentioned elsewhere in this thread.  This is for the  8-in1 memory card reader. 

Here's the list of Vista 64 drivers I used, to make my Windows 7 Ultimate 64 device manager happy...

Drivers & Downloads XPS M1730

In the order I did, or would install the drivers/updates...
BIOS - Dell XPS M1730 System BIOS A10 (mine was already at ver A10 so I didn't update)
Chipset - Intel Mobile Chipset
Chipset - Ricoh R5C833
Audio - Sigmatel STAC 92XX C-Major HD Audio (although I think Win 7 had loaded a working driver, I went ahead and upated with this one)
Input Device Drivers - Creative Labs Laptop Integrated Webcam
Input Device Drivers - Dell Touchpad - Pointing Stick
Network - Broadcom 57XX Gigabit Integrated Controller
Network - Intel (R) Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN
Video - Ageia PhysX Processor
Video - nVidia GeForce GO 8700 GT SLI Driver
Video - nVidia GeForce GO 8700M GT SLI BIOS (The BIOS on my video card was a bit outdated, so I updated. The download is an ISO which you must burn to CD, then boot from it to perform BIOS update on both video cards)

I haven't had much time to put it through it's paces yet, but at this point, it's running without a hitch.  I'll keep you posted if anything out of the ordinary surfaces...

Take care!

3 Posts

October 27th, 2009 18:00

Hello,

Another XPS M1730 Owner here.  They were still selling them in July, Mine was shipped on July 12th.  I had wodnered why I wasn't offered the Windows 7 upgrade so close to launch like Vista on my previous laptops.

Anyway, I jsut purchased the Windows 7 Home premium and came looking for drivers ahead of time and didnt see it support on my system page.  then came here.

I wanted to find out before I blew my laptop away with a new install and then would have to revert if it didn't take.  It looks like it does but only if I do all the work.

I would think that with, (At least this laptop), Dell selling them just over 3 months ago, it would be supported by now?

Cheers!

106 Posts

October 28th, 2009 03:00

Hi - Back again after following the recent posts.

I have a M1710, a little older than yours, granted :-)

I have received my Win7 discs and installed the 64bit version. All drivers installed automatically except the unknown Base System Device which is, as mentioned,  the Ricoh R5C833 card reader driver.

However,

1)  the Dell Truemobile 355 Bluetooth+EDR although installed fine does not function correctly -

Also

2)  when the battery is charging a red cross appears stating that it may be advisable to replace the battery -  (previously it would just show it charging with a little animated battery filling up) When it's charged, it turns green and all appears well.

Has anyone else noticed these 2 points?

Thanks

No Events found!