Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 5th, 2009 22:00

When will the XPS M1730 fully support Windows 7?

I've browsed various forums and not seen a confirmed answer from our friends at Dell.  The M1730 is MORE than capable of running Windows 7 - I currently have Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit RTM installed.  Everything seems to work well for the most part, although I do experience video driver crashes from time-to-time.  They tend to occur when I'm playing World of Warcraft (not the most graphically intense application out there).  Searching the internets yielded no solid results, but I suspect it may be a heat issue.  That leads me to believe that this is the reason the M1730 is NOT currently on the Windows 7 supported hardware list, but I'd like to know specifically why and if/when we will see Windows 7 drivers and support from Dell.

Video drivers are the latest and greatest from Nvidia at the time of this posting and all other drivers are either Windows 7 native or Windows 7 drivers from the manufacturer.

Windows Advisor states that the M1730 fully supports Windows 7, why doesn't Dell?

My system information is (from DXDiag):

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 10/5/2009, 21:27:13
       Machine name: XXXXXXX
   Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_rtm.090713-1255)
           Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
       System Model: MXG071                         
               BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A10
          Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     T9300  @ 2.50GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.5GHz
             Memory: 4096MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 4094MB RAM
          Page File: 2168MB used, 6017MB available
        Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
   User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
 System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
     DxDiag Version: 6.01.7600.16385 32bit Unicode

------------
DxDiag Notes
------------
      Display Tab 1: No problems found.
        Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
        Sound Tab 2: No problems found.
          Input Tab: No problems found.

--------------------
DirectX Debug Levels
--------------------
Direct3D:    0/4 (retail)
DirectDraw:  0/4 (retail)
DirectInput: 0/5 (retail)
DirectMusic: 0/5 (retail)
DirectPlay:  0/9 (retail)
DirectSound: 0/5 (retail)
DirectShow:  0/6 (retail)

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
          Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 8800M GTX
       Manufacturer: NVIDIA
          Chip type: NVxx
           DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
         Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_060C&SUBSYS_019C1028&REV_A2
     Display Memory: 2288 MB
   Dedicated Memory: 497 MB
      Shared Memory: 1791 MB
       Current Mode: 1920 x 1200 (32 bit) (59Hz)
       Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
      Monitor Model: DELL2407WFPHC
         Monitor Id: DELA026
        Native Mode: 1920 x 1200(p) (59.950Hz)
        Output Type: DVI
        Driver Name: nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um
Driver File Version: 8.16.0011.8681 (English)
     Driver Version: 8.16.11.8681
        DDI Version: 10
       Driver Model: WDDM 1.1
  Driver Attributes: Final Retail
   Driver Date/Size: 8/19/2009 13:35:00, 9544192 bytes
        WHQL Logo'd: n/a
    WHQL Date Stamp: n/a
  Device Identifier: {D7B71E3E-454C-11CF-7152-97211DC2C535}
          Vendor ID: 0x10DE
          Device ID: 0x060C
          SubSys ID: 0x019C1028
        Revision ID: 0x00A2

17 Posts

October 28th, 2009 06:00

Becareful with your GPU and heat issues, my 8800m fried a week ago running normal Vista and I use a Laptop cooler under it, at only 14months old. I`m in common Dell Hell due to this as they dont seem to have replacement stock for the 8800m, causing me no end of worries due to needing the laptop for work aswell as gaming. Sorry for the negativity but did you have any graphical crashes before you installed windows 7 at all, just wondering if you may have a problem brewing like mine? Hopefully you havent as I would hate for anyone to be going through Dell Hell like me.

109 Posts

October 28th, 2009 06:00

You did not specify what hardware you have. I would think that if you had a problem, support would make you revert back to windows vista or at least blame everything on Windows 7. I would buy another harddrive and try the install there.

I still have Vista on another harddrive and I am working Windows 7 32-bit. However, I think I will try another install of Windows 7 64-bit on another hard drive (I have several 7200 rpm drives, I don't use Raid and my data is on a separate drive) because of new info from users in this forum.

23 Posts

October 28th, 2009 23:00

Well, I have a 3 year warranty on mine.  If the GPU dies, they can either find me new 8800Ms or give me a new laptop...

109 Posts

October 29th, 2009 07:00

They replaced my XPS M1730 when it was 10 months old with an upgraded new M1730. It took about 6 weeks to get it. Hope you got something else to work with in the mean time.

3 Posts

October 29th, 2009 08:00

The good news is that I was able to install a fresh copy of Windows 7 Ultimate on my M1730.  I found drivers from some of the manufacture's, (Nvidia, Logitec, etc...), and some of them I had to use the Vista 64 Drivers. (The LCD works, LED's are controllable, the Dell Dock is back

I was able to get it back to factory pretty much with the exception of all the extra software that came with it, (stuff I didn't want or use anyway).

The Bad news is that I wish it was supported, if I break it, I probably won't get support, or at least for the software part of it.

Been up about 24 hours now, no problems to report.  I wish I could find a way to monitor the Video Temps, (that is what I read was the biggest problem expecially with the 8800 cards).

23 Posts

October 29th, 2009 13:00

Glad to hear you were able to get Win 7 installed.  I doubt most folks will have issues getting it on their machines - heck MS says the 1730 will run Windows 7 - but as you mentioned, if something happens, we'll be out of luck if we need to contact support.  Hence my continued request to get a defnitive answer from our friends at Dell as to why they won't support Windows 7 on the 1730.

12 Posts

October 29th, 2009 21:00

This is directed towards mpwentzel or anyone else who can answer

Do you have the 8700M GT SLi Drivers or do you have 8800M GTX Sli? I am having the same problems that all of ya'll are having. I can not get my display drivers to run on windows 7 64 bit version. Any help on how to fix it besides the ricoh b/c I installed that. I installed both chipsets listed here. Only thing on this list I did not grab was the Video drivers b/c I have an 8800M GTX.

9 Posts

October 29th, 2009 23:00

This is directed towards mpwentzel or anyone else who can answer

Do you have the 8700M GT SLi Drivers or do you have 8800M GTX Sli? I am having the same problems that all of ya'll are having. I can not get my display drivers to run on windows 7 64 bit version. Any help on how to fix it besides the ricoh b/c I installed that. I installed both chipsets listed here. Only thing on this list I did not grab was the Video drivers b/c I have an 8800M GTX.

You can download the drivers for the NVIDIA Geforce 8800 directly from NVIDIA at http://www.nvidia.com
Just select Download Drivers and select the options I have pasted below and click search.
It lists the following cards as supported by this driver set...
8600M GS, 8700M GT, 8400M G, 8800M GTS, 8800M GTX, 8400M GT, 8600M GT, 8200M G, 8800M GS

3 Posts

October 29th, 2009 23:00

I concur with Wentzel, 

The Nvidia site has the drivers and the package he is talking about has all the drivers.  This is what I loaded on my system.

12 Posts

October 30th, 2009 09:00

I downloaded them again and it asks for a restart, so I restart and when it pops back up I am still running integrated. Is there a setting to switch over or to tell my computer that I have graphics cards. It shows the graphics cards in my device manager with this in the properties, "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)". When I tell it to update driver it says it is up to date. So, the drivers are there but w/e the problem is with code 43 is stopping it from working. I dont have the NVIDIA Control Panel like I used to either. Does that pop up when the drivers get loaded correctly? I do not know why there are problems or how to fix them and as I mentioned above my Base System Device has problems and it says "The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)".

Thanks for any help

12 Posts

I have downloaded the drivers but they will not decide to work on my computer. I was asking if you downloaded the 8700 first before you tried the 8800M GTX because for some reason I am still not running on my graphics card. Also, that base system device can not find a driver and I have done all I could with the chipset and ricoh. If I am missing something big as to why my computer will not run the video cards, then point it out. Thanks for the help so far, I am trying the video drivers again.

9 Posts

My XPS M1730 was shipped on June 28, 2008 and has the dual 8700 NVIDIA cards.  As I said in my first post, I used the Vista 64 drivers for these cards and they worked.  Since reading your post, I downloaded the NVIDIA drivers directly from the NVIDIA web site where I chose the Win 7 64 bit driver package.  I ran the install, and it worked perfectly as well. 

Forgive me for asking, but I don't know what your computer skills are.  Are  you sure you're running the instal correctly after downloading your drivers?  I believe that the Ricoh driver will install automatically if you choose to runn the execuatable after downloading, and the NVIDIA drivers work the same way.  Save to desktop, then execute.  Are you seeing the installation run, and is it failing?  Give me as much detail as possible, as to what you are doing exactly, and what, if any errors you see...

12 Posts

October 30th, 2009 10:00

If I had amazing computer skills I won't post here, so no offense taken. I downloaded and installed the drivers for the 8800M GTX next "after it said I installed it" it asked me to restart my computer. My computer restarts, I log in, graphics are still the same. When I go to device manager it shows the code 43 from earlier. All I know is it says its installed, but it will not run the video drivers. On the Nvidia website you can choose to manually or automatically detect your graphics drivers. Manual from what you displayed is how I did it. I clicked it saved it to desktop and ran it til the restart with no problems. The auto detect shows that my "Current Driver Installed" is "--" as in there is not one. My computer device manager says all is good with the up to date driver just that it can not run b/c of a code 43 problem. NVIDIA Control Panel is not there either.

Hope this helps

Thanks

9 Posts

October 30th, 2009 11:00

What devices are showing up with conflicts in your device manager?  Base system device...anything else?  What BIOS version is your laptop running?  A10?

23 Posts

October 31st, 2009 00:00

So here's a question:  what does it take to get a response from a Dell representative on these forums?  I appreciate that we've all come together to discuss this, but it seems like the root of the issue (lack of official support) hasn't received a satisfactory answer and Dell's silence is starting to be a little concerning to me.

No Events found!