Melkai
1 Copper

Re: When will the XPS M1730 fully support Windows 7?

The good news is that I was able to install a fresh copy of Windows 7 Ultimate on my M1730.  I found drivers from some of the manufacture's, (Nvidia, Logitec, etc...), and some of them I had to use the Vista 64 Drivers. (The LCD works, LED's are controllable, the Dell Dock is back

I was able to get it back to factory pretty much with the exception of all the extra software that came with it, (stuff I didn't want or use anyway).

The Bad news is that I wish it was supported, if I break it, I probably won't get support, or at least for the software part of it.

Been up about 24 hours now, no problems to report.  I wish I could find a way to monitor the Video Temps, (that is what I read was the biggest problem expecially with the 8800 cards).

0 Kudos
evil_mike
2 Bronze

Glad to hear you were able to get Win 7 installed.  I doubt most folks will have issues getting it on their machines - heck MS says the 1730 will run Windows 7 - but as you mentioned, if something happens, we'll be out of luck if we need to contact support.  Hence my continued request to get a defnitive answer from our friends at Dell as to why they won't support Windows 7 on the 1730.

0 Kudos
goobs23
1 Copper

This is directed towards mpwentzel or anyone else who can answer

Do you have the 8700M GT SLi Drivers or do you have 8800M GTX Sli? I am having the same problems that all of ya'll are having. I can not get my display drivers to run on windows 7 64 bit version. Any help on how to fix it besides the ricoh b/c I installed that. I installed both chipsets listed here. Only thing on this list I did not grab was the Video drivers b/c I have an 8800M GTX.

0 Kudos
mpwentzel
1 Copper

This is directed towards mpwentzel or anyone else who can answer

Do you have the 8700M GT SLi Drivers or do you have 8800M GTX Sli? I am having the same problems that all of ya'll are having. I can not get my display drivers to run on windows 7 64 bit version. Any help on how to fix it besides the ricoh b/c I installed that. I installed both chipsets listed here. Only thing on this list I did not grab was the Video drivers b/c I have an 8800M GTX.

You can download the drivers for the NVIDIA Geforce 8800 directly from NVIDIA at http://www.nvidia.com
Just select Download Drivers and select the options I have pasted below and click search.
It lists the following cards as supported by this driver set...
8600M GS, 8700M GT, 8400M G, 8800M GTS, 8800M GTX, 8400M GT, 8600M GT, 8200M G, 8800M GS

0 Kudos
Melkai
1 Copper

I concur with Wentzel, 

The Nvidia site has the drivers and the package he is talking about has all the drivers.  This is what I loaded on my system.

0 Kudos
goobs23
1 Copper

I have downloaded the drivers but they will not decide to work on my computer. I was asking if you downloaded the 8700 first before you tried the 8800M GTX because for some reason I am still not running on my graphics card. Also, that base system device can not find a driver and I have done all I could with the chipset and ricoh. If I am missing something big as to why my computer will not run the video cards, then point it out. Thanks for the help so far, I am trying the video drivers again.

0 Kudos
goobs23
1 Copper

I downloaded them again and it asks for a restart, so I restart and when it pops back up I am still running integrated. Is there a setting to switch over or to tell my computer that I have graphics cards. It shows the graphics cards in my device manager with this in the properties, "Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)". When I tell it to update driver it says it is up to date. So, the drivers are there but w/e the problem is with code 43 is stopping it from working. I dont have the NVIDIA Control Panel like I used to either. Does that pop up when the drivers get loaded correctly? I do not know why there are problems or how to fix them and as I mentioned above my Base System Device has problems and it says "The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)".

Thanks for any help

0 Kudos
Highlighted
mpwentzel
1 Copper

My XPS M1730 was shipped on June 28, 2008 and has the dual 8700 NVIDIA cards.  As I said in my first post, I used the Vista 64 drivers for these cards and they worked.  Since reading your post, I downloaded the NVIDIA drivers directly from the NVIDIA web site where I chose the Win 7 64 bit driver package.  I ran the install, and it worked perfectly as well. 

Forgive me for asking, but I don't know what your computer skills are.  Are  you sure you're running the instal correctly after downloading your drivers?  I believe that the Ricoh driver will install automatically if you choose to runn the execuatable after downloading, and the NVIDIA drivers work the same way.  Save to desktop, then execute.  Are you seeing the installation run, and is it failing?  Give me as much detail as possible, as to what you are doing exactly, and what, if any errors you see...

0 Kudos
goobs23
1 Copper

If I had amazing computer skills I won't post here, so no offense taken. I downloaded and installed the drivers for the 8800M GTX next "after it said I installed it" it asked me to restart my computer. My computer restarts, I log in, graphics are still the same. When I go to device manager it shows the code 43 from earlier. All I know is it says its installed, but it will not run the video drivers. On the Nvidia website you can choose to manually or automatically detect your graphics drivers. Manual from what you displayed is how I did it. I clicked it saved it to desktop and ran it til the restart with no problems. The auto detect shows that my "Current Driver Installed" is "--" as in there is not one. My computer device manager says all is good with the up to date driver just that it can not run b/c of a code 43 problem. NVIDIA Control Panel is not there either.

Hope this helps

Thanks

0 Kudos
mpwentzel
1 Copper

What devices are showing up with conflicts in your device manager?  Base system device...anything else?  What BIOS version is your laptop running?  A10?

0 Kudos