Highlighted
evil_mike
2 Bronze

Re: When will the XPS M1730 fully support Windows 7?

So here's a question:  what does it take to get a response from a Dell representative on these forums?  I appreciate that we've all come together to discuss this, but it seems like the root of the issue (lack of official support) hasn't received a satisfactory answer and Dell's silence is starting to be a little concerning to me.

0 Kudos
goobs23
1 Copper

Yes, I have had A10 for probably 5 months. The only drivers not working are the base system and the code 43 with both my SLi graphics. I still have no NVIDIA Control Panel, I deleted all drivers and reinstalled the latest from NVIDIA's website. I have installed Ricoh. Everything installs and after I restart it just continues to have the same problem with the code 43 on my device manager. I am still on VGA graphics or w/e comes with the computer on integrated. I am not sure what else I can do. I have installed the Phsyx off of NVIDIA's website, but it says I have no drivers for that installed either. I see this when I select it from the start menu. Any more info you need from me to decide what could be wrong.

Thanks for the help.

ronmancvu
1 Copper

This is a totally awesome thread to read, now that Dell has just replaced my old E1705 with an M1730. 

0 Kudos
mpwentzel
1 Copper

Did you upgrade or install a fresh copy of Win 7?  If you did a fresh install to a formatted drive, what order did you install drivers?  The reason I ask is that it's generally a good idea to install the Chipset drivers first, before any other drivers. 

0 Kudos
goobs23
1 Copper

I did not choose the upgrade option, but I did end up keeping the old files. I didnt clean install. I went from Vista 32 bit to 7 64 bit. I do not remember the exact order I installed drivers in. I am just hoping that a driver does get released that can fix my computer. It does not make since why nothing on my computer registers my graphics cards are there.

0 Kudos
evil_mike
2 Bronze

My advice is to do a clean install.  I have always been highly suspect of doing any kind of software upgrade.  I always lean toward the clean install, especially when it comes to operating systems.   To put it another way, I doubt a driver will fix the issue since it's hard to tell what the root cause is to begin with.  Furthermore, you went from a 32-bit OS to a 64-bit OS.  My suspicion is that may be part of the issue (the drivers will likely be different and Windows is having a hard time determining what's what).  Of course, if Dell actually SUPPORTED Windows 7 on the M1730, then you could call them...sigh. *wishes they had a "beating a dead horse emoticon*

Best of luck.

0 Kudos
mpwentzel
1 Copper

Personally, I don't think there's a problem with the drivers that are available to your system.  It's sounding more like a corrupt install to me...

I suspect that the upgrade has something to do with the problem you are seeing.  I bet that if you were to install Win 7 64 to a formatted hard drive, and then follow the installation of drivers that I outlined in my original post, you would have success.  I no longer use OS upgrades because I have seen so much unexplained weirdness occur, and would always end up saving off the data and starting over with a clean install.

However, I can't 100 percent guarantee this will cure your woes, and don't want to cause you more problems than you currently have.  If it were me, I would install a new pair of hard drives configure them for RAID 0 (or RAID 1 if you prefer), and would install Win 7 to the clean drive.  That way, you would still have your original (albeit somewhat crippled) Win 7 installation on the original drives.  Sounds to me like you might be at the point of having to make this decision anyway...

I don't think there is any other advice I can give you beyond this.  Good luck, and if you think I can be of any additional help, let me know.

0 Kudos
mpwentzel
1 Copper

JINX! emoticon.Wink.title

0 Kudos
evil_mike
2 Bronze

Good lord.  Dell just deleted my reposting of my transcript of my useless online chat with their support because it violated the ToS.  Sigh.  Anyway, I called the support number after getting nowhere with the online chat and found out that Dell is currently writing Windows 7 compatible drivers for the M 1730.  The gentleman that I spoke to said they should be out in the next two weeks.

I suggested that Dell do a better job of providing support information for systems that are not CURRENTLY on the Windows 7 HCL, but will be in the future.  He said that the information he gave me is new and it will be on the site soon.  He said that the M 1730 is compatible with Windows 7, but some drivers need to be updated (duh).

Furthermore, he said that Dell WILL support M 1730 hardware issues (i.e. a graphics card fails and needs to be replaced), even if Windows 7 is running on the system.

We'll see...

0 Kudos
goobs23
1 Copper

I got to the post because it sent it to my email. I am glad to hear that there is a possible solution out there without the clean install. I have gone to so much trouble to get my computer back to how I like it. I would almost do anything over a complete reinstall of the system. I hope in 2 weeks we will get that driver.

0 Kudos