Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 5th, 2009 22:00

When will the XPS M1730 fully support Windows 7?

I've browsed various forums and not seen a confirmed answer from our friends at Dell.  The M1730 is MORE than capable of running Windows 7 - I currently have Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit RTM installed.  Everything seems to work well for the most part, although I do experience video driver crashes from time-to-time.  They tend to occur when I'm playing World of Warcraft (not the most graphically intense application out there).  Searching the internets yielded no solid results, but I suspect it may be a heat issue.  That leads me to believe that this is the reason the M1730 is NOT currently on the Windows 7 supported hardware list, but I'd like to know specifically why and if/when we will see Windows 7 drivers and support from Dell.

Video drivers are the latest and greatest from Nvidia at the time of this posting and all other drivers are either Windows 7 native or Windows 7 drivers from the manufacturer.

Windows Advisor states that the M1730 fully supports Windows 7, why doesn't Dell?

My system information is (from DXDiag):

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 10/5/2009, 21:27:13
       Machine name: XXXXXXX
   Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_rtm.090713-1255)
           Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
       System Model: MXG071                         
               BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A10
          Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     T9300  @ 2.50GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.5GHz
             Memory: 4096MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 4094MB RAM
          Page File: 2168MB used, 6017MB available
        Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
   User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
 System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
     DxDiag Version: 6.01.7600.16385 32bit Unicode

------------
DxDiag Notes
------------
      Display Tab 1: No problems found.
        Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
        Sound Tab 2: No problems found.
          Input Tab: No problems found.

--------------------
DirectX Debug Levels
--------------------
Direct3D:    0/4 (retail)
DirectDraw:  0/4 (retail)
DirectInput: 0/5 (retail)
DirectMusic: 0/5 (retail)
DirectPlay:  0/9 (retail)
DirectSound: 0/5 (retail)
DirectShow:  0/6 (retail)

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
          Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 8800M GTX
       Manufacturer: NVIDIA
          Chip type: NVxx
           DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
         Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_060C&SUBSYS_019C1028&REV_A2
     Display Memory: 2288 MB
   Dedicated Memory: 497 MB
      Shared Memory: 1791 MB
       Current Mode: 1920 x 1200 (32 bit) (59Hz)
       Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
      Monitor Model: DELL2407WFPHC
         Monitor Id: DELA026
        Native Mode: 1920 x 1200(p) (59.950Hz)
        Output Type: DVI
        Driver Name: nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um
Driver File Version: 8.16.0011.8681 (English)
     Driver Version: 8.16.11.8681
        DDI Version: 10
       Driver Model: WDDM 1.1
  Driver Attributes: Final Retail
   Driver Date/Size: 8/19/2009 13:35:00, 9544192 bytes
        WHQL Logo'd: n/a
    WHQL Date Stamp: n/a
  Device Identifier: {D7B71E3E-454C-11CF-7152-97211DC2C535}
          Vendor ID: 0x10DE
          Device ID: 0x060C
          SubSys ID: 0x019C1028
        Revision ID: 0x00A2

12 Posts

October 31st, 2009 21:00

Yes, I have had A10 for probably 5 months. The only drivers not working are the base system and the code 43 with both my SLi graphics. I still have no NVIDIA Control Panel, I deleted all drivers and reinstalled the latest from NVIDIA's website. I have installed Ricoh. Everything installs and after I restart it just continues to have the same problem with the code 43 on my device manager. I am still on VGA graphics or w/e comes with the computer on integrated. I am not sure what else I can do. I have installed the Phsyx off of NVIDIA's website, but it says I have no drivers for that installed either. I see this when I select it from the start menu. Any more info you need from me to decide what could be wrong.

Thanks for the help.

1 Message

November 2nd, 2009 09:00

This is a totally awesome thread to read, now that Dell has just replaced my old E1705 with an M1730. 

9 Posts

November 2nd, 2009 10:00

Did you upgrade or install a fresh copy of Win 7?  If you did a fresh install to a formatted drive, what order did you install drivers?  The reason I ask is that it's generally a good idea to install the Chipset drivers first, before any other drivers. 

12 Posts

November 2nd, 2009 18:00

I did not choose the upgrade option, but I did end up keeping the old files. I didnt clean install. I went from Vista 32 bit to 7 64 bit. I do not remember the exact order I installed drivers in. I am just hoping that a driver does get released that can fix my computer. It does not make since why nothing on my computer registers my graphics cards are there.

9 Posts

November 3rd, 2009 12:00

JINX! :emotion-5:

23 Posts

My advice is to do a clean install.  I have always been highly suspect of doing any kind of software upgrade.  I always lean toward the clean install, especially when it comes to operating systems.   To put it another way, I doubt a driver will fix the issue since it's hard to tell what the root cause is to begin with.  Furthermore, you went from a 32-bit OS to a 64-bit OS.  My suspicion is that may be part of the issue (the drivers will likely be different and Windows is having a hard time determining what's what).  Of course, if Dell actually SUPPORTED Windows 7 on the M1730, then you could call them...sigh. *wishes they had a "beating a dead horse emoticon*

Best of luck.

9 Posts

Personally, I don't think there's a problem with the drivers that are available to your system.  It's sounding more like a corrupt install to me...

I suspect that the upgrade has something to do with the problem you are seeing.  I bet that if you were to install Win 7 64 to a formatted hard drive, and then follow the installation of drivers that I outlined in my original post, you would have success.  I no longer use OS upgrades because I have seen so much unexplained weirdness occur, and would always end up saving off the data and starting over with a clean install.

However, I can't 100 percent guarantee this will cure your woes, and don't want to cause you more problems than you currently have.  If it were me, I would install a new pair of hard drives configure them for RAID 0 (or RAID 1 if you prefer), and would install Win 7 to the clean drive.  That way, you would still have your original (albeit somewhat crippled) Win 7 installation on the original drives.  Sounds to me like you might be at the point of having to make this decision anyway...

I don't think there is any other advice I can give you beyond this.  Good luck, and if you think I can be of any additional help, let me know.

23 Posts

November 3rd, 2009 13:00

Good lord.  Dell just deleted my reposting of my transcript of my useless online chat with their support because it violated the ToS.  Sigh.  Anyway, I called the support number after getting nowhere with the online chat and found out that Dell is currently writing Windows 7 compatible drivers for the M 1730.  The gentleman that I spoke to said they should be out in the next two weeks.

I suggested that Dell do a better job of providing support information for systems that are not CURRENTLY on the Windows 7 HCL, but will be in the future.  He said that the information he gave me is new and it will be on the site soon.  He said that the M 1730 is compatible with Windows 7, but some drivers need to be updated (duh).

Furthermore, he said that Dell WILL support M 1730 hardware issues (i.e. a graphics card fails and needs to be replaced), even if Windows 7 is running on the system.

We'll see...

12 Posts

November 3rd, 2009 14:00

I got to the post because it sent it to my email. I am glad to hear that there is a possible solution out there without the clean install. I have gone to so much trouble to get my computer back to how I like it. I would almost do anything over a complete reinstall of the system. I hope in 2 weeks we will get that driver.

2.2K Posts

November 3rd, 2009 15:00

Hi,

I keep seeing mention of calling Dell for help if they 'officially' supported Windows 7. Whether or not Dell adds the M1730 to that list, software support, including talking to them about drivers, is not included.

It has already been pointed out that Dell will warrant the hardware whether or not you have Windows 7 or not. As others have said, however, it is not unheard of to have Dell ask that the computer be put back to the way they sold it (Vista, in this case) to help them troubleshoot. That would be the case whether Windows 7 was on the supported list or not...

I guess my point is, whether it is on that list or not, I do not see any difference in how Dell will provide warranty services.

It seems you've found all you need to get your computer working under Windows 7... Enjoy it.

12 Posts

November 3rd, 2009 16:00

The only reason I might be putting off the inevitable is because I do not have all the programs with me to reinstall nor the time. I use this computer for school, so if the two week update doesnt work then I will reformat when school is our or Thanksgiving holiday in about 3 weeks. Thanks for the tips. When I choose to reinstall custom, how do I make sure I am installing into a clean hard drive? Thanks

3.6K Posts

November 3rd, 2009 16:00

I know none of you want to hear this,but i will post it anyway.

Anytime a system goes EOL at Dell,it is NO longer supported for any updates of any kind.I went thru the same thing with Dell on my E1705 when they started updating drivers on the newer systems that were replacing it(1720 thru the XPS updated lines).It does not matter when it goes EOL,once it does that is it.

November 10th, 2009 13:00

I received and installed Dell's free Windows 7 update today, which I was eligible for since I purchased my M1730 about a month ago.  (I had to choose M1530 on the win7.dell site since the M1730 is not listed, but the service tag was accepted and my upgrade shipped without problems)

I ran the in-place upgrade from Vista Premium 64-bit to Windows 7 Premium 64-bit and after a couple of hours it was all done.  There were no problems at all, and no missing drivers for any of the devices.  Clearly all of the existing Vista 64-bit drivers were sufficient, or new drivers were included on the Windows 7 disc.  All my existing software continues to work too, so the upgrade was just like applying a large service pack.

The only negative part of the experience was the "Dell Windows 7 Upgrade Assistant DVD 64-bit" whichthey shipped along with the Windows 7 DVD (a standard Windows 7 disc, despite the Dell branding on the front), which unhelpfully and incorrectly claimed that the M1730 could not be upgraded to Windows 7.  As a result it refuses to "help" you with the upgrade, but I was probably better off avoiding their possibly broken customisation process anyway and sticking with the standard install route!

Gareth 

12 Posts

November 11th, 2009 11:00

I did a full and clean reinstall. On my graphics cards, 8800M GTX, I had to download the beta version on Nvidia to run a single card. Can not get Sli to work. If I power my laptop off for the night; I have to reinstall the beta version display driver again. Its wierd I know. So, for now I have done everything I can and I hope by December that Nvidia or Dell will release a working driver for the display drives.

10 Posts

November 11th, 2009 11:00

Well I believe I installed all drivers but I still have 3 "base system devices" that are not recognized. Maybe it has something to do with dell media direct which I did not care about for this clean installation?

No Events found!