hrova
4 Ruthenium

Re: When will the XPS M1730 fully support Windows 7?

Hi,

I keep seeing mention of calling Dell for help if they 'officially' supported Windows 7. Whether or not Dell adds the M1730 to that list, software support, including talking to them about drivers, is not included.

It has already been pointed out that Dell will warrant the hardware whether or not you have Windows 7 or not. As others have said, however, it is not unheard of to have Dell ask that the computer be put back to the way they sold it (Vista, in this case) to help them troubleshoot. That would be the case whether Windows 7 was on the supported list or not...

I guess my point is, whether it is on that list or not, I do not see any difference in how Dell will provide warranty services.

It seems you've found all you need to get your computer working under Windows 7... Enjoy it.

Community Member Since 2003

0 Kudos
goobs23
1 Nickel

The only reason I might be putting off the inevitable is because I do not have all the programs with me to reinstall nor the time. I use this computer for school, so if the two week update doesnt work then I will reformat when school is our or Thanksgiving holiday in about 3 weeks. Thanks for the tips. When I choose to reinstall custom, how do I make sure I am installing into a clean hard drive? Thanks

0 Kudos
dgkpcon
4 Ruthenium

I know none of you want to hear this,but i will post it anyway.

Anytime a system goes EOL at Dell,it is NO longer supported for any updates of any kind.I went thru the same thing with Dell on my E1705 when they started updating drivers on the newer systems that were replacing it(1720 thru the XPS updated lines).It does not matter when it goes EOL,once it does that is it.

E1705 T7400 2.16Ghz / Vista Home Premium SP2 / 17" LG WUXGA 1920 X 1200 / 4GB 667Mhz Geil Ram w/Heatspreaders / Western Digital Scorpio Black 500GB 7200RPM / 500GB 7200RPM My Book / Nvidia Geforce Go 7900GS 256MB / Toshiba DVD/CD+/-RW DL / Intel 4965 A/B/G/N / 355 Bluetooth 2.0+EDR / Pinnacle Pro HDTV USB Tuner / Pinnacle Ultimate HDTV USB Tuner / Sound Blaster Audigy Advanced MB / Sound Blaster X-Fi Extreme Audio Notebook / Logitech G51 Surround Sound Speakers / 2-NB-MA01 Notebook Coolers / 3D Mark06 5446 / Driver v.174.31 /

XPS M1730 Saphire Blue X9000 @ 3.2 / Vista Home Premium SP2 / 17" WUXGA 1920 x 1200 / Matshita BD\DVD Combo / 8GB 800Mhz Geil RAM / 500GB>200GB 7200RPM / 9800M GTX SLI / AGEIA PhysX Accelerator / Intel 4965 / 355 Bluetooth / 5700 Mobile Broadband / 3D Mark06 16250 /Driver 275.50 beta

XPS Gen 4 Desktop>being rebuilt

0 Kudos
Gareth98765
1 Copper

I received and installed Dell's free Windows 7 update today, which I was eligible for since I purchased my M1730 about a month ago.  (I had to choose M1530 on the win7.dell site since the M1730 is not listed, but the service tag was accepted and my upgrade shipped without problems)

I ran the in-place upgrade from Vista Premium 64-bit to Windows 7 Premium 64-bit and after a couple of hours it was all done.  There were no problems at all, and no missing drivers for any of the devices.  Clearly all of the existing Vista 64-bit drivers were sufficient, or new drivers were included on the Windows 7 disc.  All my existing software continues to work too, so the upgrade was just like applying a large service pack.

The only negative part of the experience was the "Dell Windows 7 Upgrade Assistant DVD 64-bit" whichthey shipped along with the Windows 7 DVD (a standard Windows 7 disc, despite the Dell branding on the front), which unhelpfully and incorrectly claimed that the M1730 could not be upgraded to Windows 7.  As a result it refuses to "help" you with the upgrade, but I was probably better off avoiding their possibly broken customisation process anyway and sticking with the standard install route!

Gareth 

0 Kudos
tnad
1 Nickel

Well I believe I installed all drivers but I still have 3 "base system devices" that are not recognized. Maybe it has something to do with dell media direct which I did not care about for this clean installation?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
goobs23
1 Nickel

I did a full and clean reinstall. On my graphics cards, 8800M GTX, I had to download the beta version on Nvidia to run a single card. Can not get Sli to work. If I power my laptop off for the night; I have to reinstall the beta version display driver again. Its wierd I know. So, for now I have done everything I can and I hope by December that Nvidia or Dell will release a working driver for the display drives.

0 Kudos
mpwentzel
1 Nickel

]

Did you try using the driver in the screen capture above?

Version:

186.81 WHQL

Version:

186.81 WHQL

Release Date:

Operating System:

Windows Vista 64-bit, Windows 7 64-bit

Language:

English (U.S.)

File Size:

138 MB

0 Kudos
goobs23
1 Nickel

Yes, I tried that driver first. It did not work and still just used the VGA graphics. So, I searched for the beta on the website and actually got to see my Nvidia Control Panel for the first time. Only 1 card is running, but at least for now I can run decent graphics. I am willing to try it again, but I do not see it working.

0 Kudos
mpwentzel
1 Nickel

After you re-installed the OS, did you install chipset drivers before any other drivers?  Are there any issues being reported in device mgr? 

0 Kudos
goobs23
1 Nickel

Heres how it went down. I reinstalled and made sure I did chipset first because yall said that. Next I dont remember but I think I did phsyx then 8800M GTX 186.81 driver. When I restarted I had same problem as before the clean OS. Next I uninstalled the drivers and installed the 195 beta driver. After restart, I had full functionality of Nvidia Control Panel and 1 card working. I restarted for another program I installed and on restart in the bottom right corner a message pops up and says you should use SLi its better. So, I went into the settings changed it to SLi grpahics and all was good for a little bit. I left my computer and came back to a black screen. I could not get it to work, so I manually turned it off. On load up it said there was some hardware failure or something like that. So, after I finally made it back to my desktop I was on VGA graphics again. I went back to the 195 beta driver and have left it just running 1 card for now because it doesnt screw my comp up. I have actually run MW2 on this computer and it only lags on high graphics in smoke screens.  Any other questions or ideas keep shooting, but I did read that others had problems with black screen on Sli 195.

0 Kudos