Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 5th, 2009 22:00

When will the XPS M1730 fully support Windows 7?

I've browsed various forums and not seen a confirmed answer from our friends at Dell.  The M1730 is MORE than capable of running Windows 7 - I currently have Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit RTM installed.  Everything seems to work well for the most part, although I do experience video driver crashes from time-to-time.  They tend to occur when I'm playing World of Warcraft (not the most graphically intense application out there).  Searching the internets yielded no solid results, but I suspect it may be a heat issue.  That leads me to believe that this is the reason the M1730 is NOT currently on the Windows 7 supported hardware list, but I'd like to know specifically why and if/when we will see Windows 7 drivers and support from Dell.

Video drivers are the latest and greatest from Nvidia at the time of this posting and all other drivers are either Windows 7 native or Windows 7 drivers from the manufacturer.

Windows Advisor states that the M1730 fully supports Windows 7, why doesn't Dell?

My system information is (from DXDiag):

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 10/5/2009, 21:27:13
       Machine name: XXXXXXX
   Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_rtm.090713-1255)
           Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
       System Model: MXG071                         
               BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A10
          Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     T9300  @ 2.50GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.5GHz
             Memory: 4096MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 4094MB RAM
          Page File: 2168MB used, 6017MB available
        Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
   User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
 System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
     DxDiag Version: 6.01.7600.16385 32bit Unicode

------------
DxDiag Notes
------------
      Display Tab 1: No problems found.
        Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
        Sound Tab 2: No problems found.
          Input Tab: No problems found.

--------------------
DirectX Debug Levels
--------------------
Direct3D:    0/4 (retail)
DirectDraw:  0/4 (retail)
DirectInput: 0/5 (retail)
DirectMusic: 0/5 (retail)
DirectPlay:  0/9 (retail)
DirectSound: 0/5 (retail)
DirectShow:  0/6 (retail)

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
          Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 8800M GTX
       Manufacturer: NVIDIA
          Chip type: NVxx
           DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
         Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_060C&SUBSYS_019C1028&REV_A2
     Display Memory: 2288 MB
   Dedicated Memory: 497 MB
      Shared Memory: 1791 MB
       Current Mode: 1920 x 1200 (32 bit) (59Hz)
       Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
      Monitor Model: DELL2407WFPHC
         Monitor Id: DELA026
        Native Mode: 1920 x 1200(p) (59.950Hz)
        Output Type: DVI
        Driver Name: nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um
Driver File Version: 8.16.0011.8681 (English)
     Driver Version: 8.16.11.8681
        DDI Version: 10
       Driver Model: WDDM 1.1
  Driver Attributes: Final Retail
   Driver Date/Size: 8/19/2009 13:35:00, 9544192 bytes
        WHQL Logo'd: n/a
    WHQL Date Stamp: n/a
  Device Identifier: {D7B71E3E-454C-11CF-7152-97211DC2C535}
          Vendor ID: 0x10DE
          Device ID: 0x060C
          SubSys ID: 0x019C1028
        Revision ID: 0x00A2

9 Posts

November 11th, 2009 13:00

]

Did you try using the driver in the screen capture above?

Version:

186.81 WHQL

Version:

186.81 WHQL

Release Date:

Operating System:

Windows Vista 64-bit, Windows 7 64-bit

Language:

English (U.S.)

File Size:

138 MB

12 Posts

November 12th, 2009 07:00

Yes, I tried that driver first. It did not work and still just used the VGA graphics. So, I searched for the beta on the website and actually got to see my Nvidia Control Panel for the first time. Only 1 card is running, but at least for now I can run decent graphics. I am willing to try it again, but I do not see it working.

9 Posts

November 12th, 2009 09:00

After you re-installed the OS, did you install chipset drivers before any other drivers?  Are there any issues being reported in device mgr? 

12 Posts

November 12th, 2009 10:00

Heres how it went down. I reinstalled and made sure I did chipset first because yall said that. Next I dont remember but I think I did phsyx then 8800M GTX 186.81 driver. When I restarted I had same problem as before the clean OS. Next I uninstalled the drivers and installed the 195 beta driver. After restart, I had full functionality of Nvidia Control Panel and 1 card working. I restarted for another program I installed and on restart in the bottom right corner a message pops up and says you should use SLi its better. So, I went into the settings changed it to SLi grpahics and all was good for a little bit. I left my computer and came back to a black screen. I could not get it to work, so I manually turned it off. On load up it said there was some hardware failure or something like that. So, after I finally made it back to my desktop I was on VGA graphics again. I went back to the 195 beta driver and have left it just running 1 card for now because it doesnt screw my comp up. I have actually run MW2 on this computer and it only lags on high graphics in smoke screens.  Any other questions or ideas keep shooting, but I did read that others had problems with black screen on Sli 195.

2 Posts

November 12th, 2009 11:00

I have been contemplating upgrading to Windows 7 on my M1730 with the 8800m GTX card but not finding much good news out there in regards to this upgrade. From what I have found on Nvidia's site is the 8800M series is NOT supported at this time in Windows 7. If you go to this page http://www.nvidia.com/object/io_1241025430517.html  on Nvidia's site you will see the 8800M series is not listed. Not sure why but I have also tried to contact Dell in regards to this and they give no answer as to why. I hope they fix this but I have to say as of right now I don't have my hopes up. Totally confused as to why this one card isn't being supported at this point in time.

10 Posts

It looks like dell is working on windows 7 drivers for M1730 and they should be up in the next 2 weeks or so. I guess it's taking them longer than the other xps laptops because there are problems with the 8800m gtx drivers. My 8700m sli drivers run fine on windows 7.

10 Posts

Well it looks like your only option is to test some of the beta driver here: http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/forum/159-19x-series-geforce-driver-releases/  I'm not sure if you've done this before. Just remember to download the modded INF file with each driver and replace with the one in the drivers files you download and read the posters comments for solutions before you try a driver.

Also you might wanna check out this link: http://xpsm1730.blogspot.com/2009/03/updating-your-video-driver-right-way.html for the right way to update nvidia drivers. You might have some older nvidia files that are messing things up.

On an unrelated note, today I checked out some of the windows 7 "optional" updates available for my laptop and I noticed a bunch of driver updates. After installation, it got rid of 2 out of 3 unidentified base system devices! I'm guessing the last one has something to do with dell media direct.

109 Posts

November 12th, 2009 14:00

Dell replaced my M1730 in June of this year and the replacement, per invoice, has the 1GB nVidia SLI GeForce 8800M GTX. In the device manager the cards shows up as 2 9800M GT. I have installed the 186.81 driver in Windows 7 32-bit and it seems to be working just fine. I had a little bit of a problem getting the right driver for the PhysX but eventually I donwloaded the right one and now everything works. Wonder why my video card shows up AS 9800M? It did that in Vista too.

My original order had nVidia SLI Dual GeForce 8700 GT with 512MB GDDR3. I am assuming the upgraded it.

1 Message

November 14th, 2009 21:00

Anyone manage to get the travel remote working on win 7 on the M1730? its the only thing i haven't been able to get resolved.

10 Posts

November 15th, 2009 11:00

I just tested it and it's working fine for me. Maybe you need dell quickset or the dell touchpad/pointing stick drivers to make it run? I installed all the drivers I can find for vista 64 bit on win 7 and then did the regular windows update (the optional updates have driver updates, not the critical ones) after which I was left with only one unidentified base system device in the device manager. The ricoh drivers wouldn't fix this through automatic intallation so I updated manually from the device manager and pointed it to the ricoh driver folder and that got me all the drivers I need.

26 Posts

November 28th, 2009 11:00

Well, "about two weeks" has come and gone, and we still have no Windows 7 support.  Anyone know what's going on?

10 Posts

November 28th, 2009 19:00

My guess they're waiting for nvidia to release stable 195 drivers for the 8800m gtx. The 186.81 drivers are working well on win7 for my 8700m gt card, but they don't seem to work for the 8800m gtx (from what I read here). The official desktop 195 drivers just came out, so hopefully soon for laptops. The rest of the win7 drivers work easily.

2 Posts

December 13th, 2009 23:00

any word on this yet? i got most things to work with random vista drivers but i cant seem to get the webcam working properly

12 Posts

December 20th, 2009 15:00

Alright, goobs23 here. I was the one posting about all my video card problems and such. I had a problem this week on Monday where my power light came on and the hard drive clicked, but the computer screen did not turn on. So, after talking to dell for a couple hours they decided to do on-site replacement of my motherboard. I talked to them on Tuesday night and they came Thursday afternoon with a new motherboard. Technician replaces it and still the same problem. The guy then orders me another motherboard and a video card (8800M GTX) for replacement on Friday and they came in less than 24 hours to replace both parts. When the technician came the second time he replaced both a new motherboard and the video card and upon turning it on my hard drive was not recognized. So, he went back to the motherboard I was given the day before with the new graphics card and BAM it works.

So, the main problem was my 8800M GTX being faulty. All that time I spent searching forums and blaming drivers for not working and it was just a bad card. Thanks for all the help that you all gave me in fixing my problem, but in the end it ended up just being a bad card and nothing I had done or not done. As far as all features working with the XPS M1730 and windows 7; I have gotten everything to work properly now.

4 Posts

January 4th, 2010 13:00

When I loaded Windows 7  32 on my M1730 I got the same issues already discussed. The Blue tooth won't run correctly. And I get the  device stopped error 43 for my nVidia 8800 graphics card.  I updated all drivers to Windows 7 compatable versions. Dell said that they would not warranty my product if I was not using VISTA so I down graded.I already had my computer replaced last year when it over heated, and melted.

So the Question still is, when will I be able to upgrade to WINDOWS 7?  VISTA is a real bad memory hog, and runs too slow..

No Events found!