Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 5th, 2009 22:00

When will the XPS M1730 fully support Windows 7?

I've browsed various forums and not seen a confirmed answer from our friends at Dell.  The M1730 is MORE than capable of running Windows 7 - I currently have Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit RTM installed.  Everything seems to work well for the most part, although I do experience video driver crashes from time-to-time.  They tend to occur when I'm playing World of Warcraft (not the most graphically intense application out there).  Searching the internets yielded no solid results, but I suspect it may be a heat issue.  That leads me to believe that this is the reason the M1730 is NOT currently on the Windows 7 supported hardware list, but I'd like to know specifically why and if/when we will see Windows 7 drivers and support from Dell.

Video drivers are the latest and greatest from Nvidia at the time of this posting and all other drivers are either Windows 7 native or Windows 7 drivers from the manufacturer.

Windows Advisor states that the M1730 fully supports Windows 7, why doesn't Dell?

My system information is (from DXDiag):

------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 10/5/2009, 21:27:13
       Machine name: XXXXXXX
   Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_rtm.090713-1255)
           Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.
       System Model: MXG071                         
               BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A10
          Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     T9300  @ 2.50GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.5GHz
             Memory: 4096MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 4094MB RAM
          Page File: 2168MB used, 6017MB available
        Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
   User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
 System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
     DxDiag Version: 6.01.7600.16385 32bit Unicode

------------
DxDiag Notes
------------
      Display Tab 1: No problems found.
        Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
        Sound Tab 2: No problems found.
          Input Tab: No problems found.

--------------------
DirectX Debug Levels
--------------------
Direct3D:    0/4 (retail)
DirectDraw:  0/4 (retail)
DirectInput: 0/5 (retail)
DirectMusic: 0/5 (retail)
DirectPlay:  0/9 (retail)
DirectSound: 0/5 (retail)
DirectShow:  0/6 (retail)

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
          Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 8800M GTX
       Manufacturer: NVIDIA
          Chip type: NVxx
           DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
         Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_060C&SUBSYS_019C1028&REV_A2
     Display Memory: 2288 MB
   Dedicated Memory: 497 MB
      Shared Memory: 1791 MB
       Current Mode: 1920 x 1200 (32 bit) (59Hz)
       Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
      Monitor Model: DELL2407WFPHC
         Monitor Id: DELA026
        Native Mode: 1920 x 1200(p) (59.950Hz)
        Output Type: DVI
        Driver Name: nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um
Driver File Version: 8.16.0011.8681 (English)
     Driver Version: 8.16.11.8681
        DDI Version: 10
       Driver Model: WDDM 1.1
  Driver Attributes: Final Retail
   Driver Date/Size: 8/19/2009 13:35:00, 9544192 bytes
        WHQL Logo'd: n/a
    WHQL Date Stamp: n/a
  Device Identifier: {D7B71E3E-454C-11CF-7152-97211DC2C535}
          Vendor ID: 0x10DE
          Device ID: 0x060C
          SubSys ID: 0x019C1028
        Revision ID: 0x00A2

23 Posts

January 7th, 2010 16:00

Glad to hear they got your video issues worked out.  For me, my video card issues were resolved when Dell graciously replaced my 1730 with a shiny new Alienware M17x.  I was shocked and pleasantly surprised, to say the least.  Kudos to Dell for doing the right thing after making me go through hours of troubleshooting.

And for the record, I now know why Dell bought Alienware - the M17x smokes my old 1730 in almost every way imagineable. :emotion-11:

4 Posts

January 14th, 2010 07:00

My m1730 is now running Windows 7.

Last evening, I paid the Dell Tech to help me to reload. As it turns out, in order to upgrade from Vista 32 I needed to delete the primary  partition completely , and not just run the updater. The Windows instructions said to just update.  When I had run the update, the system created a " Vista old" version that created all sorts of issues because it contained a few old drivers, like nVidia. My system kept grabbing the wrong drivers. It was unstable. Sometimes it ran the graphics card and bluetooth, but after a reboot would sometimes cause a driver (s) failure in one of those two devices.

So we loaded the full Student version of Windows 7 32bit, and we put the newest M8800 GTX nVidia driver (SLI).  The Dell techi checked my Raid0, which as it turns out was okay. (The two 200GB drives were set up properly to run together as one 400BG device.) Once the partition was deleted ihrough the full reload, everthing completed without a hitch.  It used all Vista drivers except for the nVidia driver. I still have 2 days left as a warranty from my support fee, so I am pushing it to run all of those really great games that had been choking & stalling in Vista. So far I am very please with the performance of my new OS. 

5 Posts

February 20th, 2010 19:00

Now let's face facts DELL. Vista was a mess you know it Microsoft knows it and WE ALL KNOW IT. Now Windows 7 will allow us the ability to run cooler have less hang ups and in YOUR FAVOR less calls to INDIA to get answers to questions they know do not exist trying to get everything working with Vista.

So I beg of you as a family man that has an XPS 720,XPS 1530,XPS 1710 and a XPS 1730 in the family. I have a lot of respect for your company hence the over $10,000 dollars I have spent but PLEASE do yourselves a favor and allow the Dell XPS 1730 the ability to have Windows 7 support instead of the try this try that method we have today:(

I say PLEASE again and Thank You

10 Posts

February 20th, 2010 20:00

It's really pretty horrible that they haven't done that yet, but you can run win 7 easy on m1730. I've done that for the last 3 months with no problems. You will have to get some of the drivers yourself from nvidia website or from a similar model that supports win 7 like the alienware m17x. I was able to eventually find all the missing drivers.

5 Posts

March 3rd, 2010 02:00

I was able to eventually find all the missing drivers.

Could you perhaps list the Nvidia graphics driver you are using here?

I've been trying for days to get the graphics driver for my 2x8800M cards to work, and for some reason (after a CLEAN Windows 7 64-bit install) once I've installed ANY nvidia driver (18x.xx, 19x.xx) my machine boots to the desktop, then 10 seconds later hangs with a blank screen (the colour of the screen depends on what background I have at the time...).

If I uninstall the nvidia driver and let windows use its "standard" VGA driver, everything works fine (although obviously I can't play games).

Thanks,

Kumi

10 Posts

March 5th, 2010 13:00

I have the 8700m video card so I cant really say much about the 8800m gtx. I'm using the official 195.62 drivers from nvidia. However, it looks like dell released some beta today for notebooks. Check here:

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/topic/26254-nvidia-graphics-driver-19686-released/

Hopefully this will work for you. People with 8800m cards are obviously having more problems with win 7.

19 Posts

March 6th, 2010 22:00

Greetings,

I think I might be having the same issue. I have a Dell XPS M1730 with the 8800m GTX SLI card. I am running Windows 7 Professional 64bit. When I do a Windows Experience Index analysis, all scores are above 5.1 except 3D Business and Gaming Graphics. This score is 2.0 which gives me an overal score of 2.0. When I was running the 8700m GT SLI card, my overall score was above a 4.9, which was excellent for a laptop. I also have the Aegia Physics Card. Any suggestions? I have tried different video driver versions and the physics card versions. I am going to try the 196.86 driver to see what happens. What version do you recommend for the physics card?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

James

5 Posts

March 7th, 2010 03:00

Well, for those of you who are experiencing the same problems as I had (see my post above), there's some bad news I'm afraid. It turns out that my graphics cards were fried. I could still use them with the standard VGA adapter, but trying to install ANY NVIDIA driver would cause either a BSOD, instant reboot, or I would get a screen freeze after 10 seconds of the Win 7 desktop.

Called Dell on Wednesday night and an engineer came around Friday morning to replace the cards. My 2 8800m GTXs were replaced with 2 9800m GTs.

Now, I can get most NVIDIA drivers (18x.xx, 19x.xx) to install and work with Win 7 6 4 bit, but sadly most of my games (BF2142, Street Fighter 4) have loads of artifacts while playing, and often crash out.

I've just nuked Win 7 64-bit and re-insalled XP SP2. Will see if I can get any games to work flawlessly with that. IF not, then I might have yet another dodgy set of cards....

Will keep you all posted!

*sigh*

2 Posts

March 7th, 2010 08:00

I installed Win7 on my M1730 w/ 8800M GTX about a month ago and everything seems to run really well. The only thing I haven't gotten to work again is the status LCD screen but that is it. I used the latest Nvida drivers and they work great. I have not had any heat problems as I prop the back side of my system up with an old Nokia cell phone to help let some air in. Do lot's of heavy photoshop work and without that prop my system would have burned out a long time back.

For any drivers I needed I went and got the Vista 64-bit and they all seem to work just fine.

March 12th, 2010 06:00

Wow - these beta nvidia drivers fix the incredibly annoying DPC latency issues I had under Windows 7 64-bit.  My XPS M1730 with dual 9800M GTs worked fine under Vista 64-bit but, once I upgraded to Windows 7 64-bit, all music/video playback would stutter if anything else 'happened' on the computer (opening a window or something would do) and it drove me mad.  I did lots of testing and eliminated almost everything on the machine except for the video or hard drive drivers (the RAID array Intel drivers have a 'Read Me' issue that you should disable caching to avoid a bug, so a definite possibility!) - I just wish I'd known that it was the video drivers because I could have saved a lot of time.

Anyway, it's now fixed and it makes an incredible difference.  Pretty shocking how incredibly bugged the current long-standing nvidia release drivers are... its completely disgraceful really!

3 Posts

October 6th, 2010 18:00

It appears never, from what I found out!

I too ran the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor, and it indicated my XPS M1730 came through with flying colors. The only issue came up was a driver update for the Ethernet Adapter for the dock I am using. I was baffled as to why Microsoft indicated everything works, but Dell Support indicating it wasn't compatible.

I recently contacted Dell's Technical Support to see if they had any plans of releasing drivers for Windows 7 64-Bit for the XPS M1730 Series Laptop and why the conflicting reports of Windows 7 Compatibility. When I asked if there was any plans of developing Windows 7 drivers for my system, he indicated that the Vista 64-bit drivers may work. He explained because the XPS M1730 Series is a "older system," they will not provide support for the M1730 on Windows 7 because it has reached its support "End of Life."   :emotion-6:

What a ripoff! It's very disappointing the way Dell is treating it's user community that has the M1730, especially when they are supporting their twins on Windows 7, the XPS M1530 and XPS 1330 series! Even though these models have reached their support End of Life, they are providing Windows 7 drivers! :emotion-12:

1 Message

November 7th, 2010 10:00

I am very displeased with the lack of support for Windows 7 on the M1730. I didn't spend thousands of dollars for a computer that can't be upgraded. Especially since the components of this machine make up a very powerful rig.  I am going to try my hardest to get dell to fix this for me. I feel like I've been ripped off and I really just want to switch to Apple after this mess.

1 Message

December 5th, 2010 04:00

So to everyone who is in the same boat here. Yes, you have been screwed by Dell. My laptop is 3 years old and I paid through the nose for it. A ton of money for Dell's top of the line. If I would've known that I would never be able to upgrade to a new Windows OS with even the minimal driver support from Dell, I never would have bought it.

I feel so thoroughly ripped off by Dell, I can assure you that I will never buy one again.

109 Posts

December 5th, 2010 06:00

When I got my first XPS M1730, it was a lemon, it crashed all the time. I had a technical out here about every 3 weeks, replacing something over or another and over again. It took me 10 months to convince Dell that they needed to replace the computer. They eventually did, but I should not have had to fight for this for so long. Instead of working, I was always restoring. Tech support always insists that it was software not hardware which caused the problem.

The replacement has not given me any problems, which proofed it was hardware not software.

With an expensive system like this, I feel ripped off just  because spent so much money and within a year the machine was discontinued, when we all were promised this special support for our expensive computers.

I have already bought and recommended several computers and laptops since, none of which were Dell's. Even though my laptop was replaced and is working well now, I have had it with Dell and I will never buy another one. Ten months of aggravation was all I could take.

4 Posts

December 16th, 2010 06:00

Yes. MTCMUSIC this is so..

The issues with my  M1730 continue after 2 plus years. I now have Windows 7, which I paid Dell $100 to help me to load. It helps considerably, the new graphic card helps too. I have gotten three to date. (a new one should be on its way soon)

I was contacted by some lawyers regarding the video driver/card fiasco with NVIDIA regarding the M1730s.  I will be getting another card soon, I hope.    NVIDIA certainly was responsible for sending out broken boards to folks like Dell and HP for thier high end machines. What I don't understand, is why Dell is not helping us more with this M1730.

Now after a few months I am starting to get some bogging down when playing high graphic resident games. Not sure why, but maybe the new card will help. It looks like the same issues that I had with the other failing graphic cards. Putting broken cards in computers is not a good way to keep your customers. Like you, I expect quality for $4K. When this machine works it is awesome, and I am very happy. Dell support has been less than helpful, althought they have been friendly about it.  There is certaily no reason why they do not support the Windows 7 application. Makes me wonder why.... Sounds like they are trying to walk away from this M1730???

I am a game development  & programming student. (3rd year) I bought this for $4K. Not happy at all with the quality of M1730 support, nor the machine quality. But I honestly love the machine when it works !

Note- Other Dell machines have been great. I am not throwing stones at Dell for everything.  I have been a customer for 7 years and have never seen this kind of issue before. My family has always used Dell computers with little issue.  Presently I have an  XPS studio 14 inch laptop that I bought to take with me to class every day. M1710 is a monster, way to heavy for a laptop. The 14 is a great little machine, but I do not play many games on it. 

No Events found!