Infoseye
1 Nickel

RE: When will the XPS M1730 fully support Windows 7?

That's good to hear someone is still pleased and currently using M1730 laptop years after, I just purchased mine over ebay its yet to be delivered probably by Thursday this week .

In the mean time I read alot of reviews of m1730 yesterday, most of the time it was more of bad comments like overhearing,cost of graphic cards, maintenance etc.

@apkobl and all....Tell me from your personal experience using m1730 how is it been this years? I mean your own likes and dislike of your m1730?

0 Kudos
Infoseye
1 Nickel

Okay just to update this forum thread, I have formatted my laptop and all seems to be okay except for the warning message on my battery that says concider replacing your battery which was not the case when I used it on Vista OS.

SHortly after installing WIn 7 ultimate 64bit I got this message suddenly how do I fix this?

0 Kudos
Aeromaster
1 Nickel

Sounds like you have a fake Dell Battery. OS useage should nt make any difference. Try a different battery, but you will probably have to get it from eBay as I understand Dell has farmed these batteries out.

0 Kudos
Aeromaster
1 Nickel

I have never had any problem with it. Other than the fact Dell stop supporting it less than a yaer after I bought it, no problems.

0 Kudos
Aeromaster
1 Nickel

As long as you can get parts for it, good.

0 Kudos
Infoseye
1 Nickel

Sounds like you have a fake Dell Battery. OS useage should nt make any difference. Try a different battery, but you will probably have to get it from eBay as I understand Dell has farmed these batteries out.

I dont think its a fake battery if it was it will not charge in the first place, it charges and last long enough just the annoying messages. I did a windows update last night and that fixed that.

I powered on my laptop this time it says There is a problem with your battery, so your computer may shutdown suddenly. I find this really weired I google it and found lots of people complaining about win7 damaging laptop batteries or shorten there life span from after an upgrade from vista to win 7.

At worst I will replace the battery just that I found it supprising it was great on Vista it came with until somedays after I installed win 7.

My real concern is I checked the graphic card in the bios it says 256 does this mean does it mean a graphic card is faulty?

0 Kudos
Aeromaster
1 Nickel

Well I highly suggest that you get a brand new battery, which should cost at least $150.00. I just bought one on eBay, whic cost me about $212.00 with S&H from a UK company. I have bought cheaper ones ( 6-cells) but they where used to a certain degree, because the capacity greatly reduced shortly there after. I have the X9000 processor and two drives running independently, which use a lot of power. Buy a brand new 9-cell one. I think NotebookParts.com sells through ebay and are in the US.

You will also get this indication if there is a short inside the battery.

I think the 8800M and up use a 256-bit interface to the bus. The 8700M came with 256 to 512mb of memory, depending upon which model you have and 512mb was the lowest that came with the 8800M and up. The 8700M is a 128-Bit interface card, but I don't think you will see this in BIOS, as reading 256. So, if BIOS is reading 256mb then you should have the 8700M 256mb memory card.

Once inside windows, check the Nvidia control panel information and it should let you know which card you have.

0 Kudos
Aeromaster
1 Nickel

Also, to check which 8700M you have, look at the bottom side. If there are two fans you have the 512 verision, and if only one fan it is the 256mb memory version.

0 Kudos
Infoseye
1 Nickel

The Bios says 256m I looked under the laptop it got 2 fans. I will buy a new battery on ebay, how do I use the following:

1.Install and configure Bluetooth

2.Control the light effects in windows not via bios, I have tried downloading and installing lightfx but seem not to work. Application to adjust colours effects or while playing music.

3. Lastly how do I use the 3GB simcard slot behind the battery?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Infoseye
1 Nickel

OS Name    Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
Version    6.1.7600 Build 7600
Other OS Description     Not Available
OS Manufacturer    Microsoft Corporation
System Name    XXXXXXXXXXX
System Manufacturer    Dell Inc.
System Model    MXG071
System Type    x64-based PC
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     T8100  @ 2.10GHz, 2101 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date    Dell Inc. A11, 23/04/2010
SMBIOS Version    2.4
Windows Directory    C:\Windows
System Directory    C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device    \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale    United Kingdom
Hardware Abstraction Layer    Version = "6.1.7600.16385"
User Name    XXXX XXX XXXXXX
Time Zone    GMT Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM)    4.00 GB
Total Physical Memory    4.00 GB
Available Physical Memory    1.92 GB