Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 17th, 2014 08:00

Where are thebacklit keyboard time-out settings, Latitude 15 E5540 Windows 8

Hi, just got my new Latitude E5540 with backlit keyboard. I can't find the time-out setting for the backlight keyboard. It switches off after only 10 seconds and I have to hit a key to switch it back on. I need the backlight always on (because of the lighting conditions I'm working in).

My Latitude E5540 Windows 8.1 pro has no or "Dell Customised" installed. Does anyone know where the settings are hidden on this model, or is there an application missing in my laptop?

I've tried BIOS settings as well but there are only OFF and BRIGHTNESS level, no time-out.

Thanks for any suggestions. Pete.

20 Posts

January 16th, 2016 02:00

Which Dell model do you use? Have you run the batch file "Run as administrator"?

January 17th, 2016 09:00

Latitude 6410 (the model I'm typing on), 6510, 6530.  Your script doesn't affect the backlighting at all.  At least, not for my usage: I use Windows 7, 32 and 64-bit, Pro and Ultimate.

But what does work, is the Feature Enhancement Pack.  I suspect that Dell changed the firmware in some way so that your utility won't work.  But now I got it to work only with the Feature Enhancement Pack, which adds tabs to the Control Panel Keyboard for Backlight, which can go for up to 5 minutes.  That's still unsatisfactory, but is far better than having to swipe the touchpad every few seconds so you can see what you're typing in the dark, as I too often must do.

Just download it from whatever machine you're using, by going to dell.com and letting your machine be detected, then seek the Feature Enhancement pack among the various updates and drivers;  or, just google and download it from one of the links there, as I did the other day.

BTW, I don't know why the nickname of this post is so weird, and they won't let me correct it.  My nickname is brainout, and you can find me at frankforum at brainout.net if you want to discuss this further.

July 27th, 2016 10:00

The easiest way - and i believe the correct way - is to change the setting in your boot up bios. Just hit F2 on Boot up to get into the BIOS. Go down the list to POST Behavior. There you will find the keyboard settings for dimming and setting the amount of time you want the keyboard to remain lit.

Should be go to go after it reboots.

[tag:FIXED] [tag:KEYBOARD] [tag:7510] 

Proceed with caution. Although simple enough, don't mess up your Bios.

Only work on one change at a time to make sure you're not interrupting anything else.

20 Posts

July 28th, 2016 04:00

notes2john-DELL, this setting does not exist on my Latitude E5540 :(

Which BIOS version are you using on your E5540?

July 28th, 2016 14:00

Pressing F2 on start up to get into BIOS mode on most computers is pretty standard. Each model will have a different set of information and settings you can change. I have a Dell Precision 7510, so mine might be different than say your model. It's a matter of looking through the list of settings to find the item you're interested in updating. Keyboard Backlighting could be called something different but probably similar.

20 Posts

July 29th, 2016 09:00

Well, if you have a different model, it would be helpful if you note this in your comment/answer. As you say, each BIOS/model will have a different set of options. The Latitude E5540 does not have an option for the backlit kayboard, as many customers had to find out after they paid their money to DELL. It is a disgrace that DELL doesn't seem to care. This will be my last item I bought from DELL ever.

1 Message

January 10th, 2017 07:00

I own both a Dell Latitude 5540 and a Dell 5550. I also own a Lenovo T420.

I just want to say the Lenovo handles the keyboard illumination much better.

Dell should try to listen to customers. We paid a lot of money for what is called a high-end model.

1 Message

February 24th, 2017 21:00

Joe, when I try to run your batch script with elevated admin privilege, I get ' a ' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file over and over.   Any ideas ?

27 Posts

September 20th, 2017 17:00

I have a DELL  Precision 7710.  I have just upgraded the non-backlit keyboard to a backlit keyboard.

It stays ON.  How do I control it (I'd like to configure via settings, but don't know how)?

I have checked the Windows Mobility Center via the control panel.  NOTHING there about the keyboard.

Where do I look now?

No Events found!