merrygaskill
1 Copper

RE: Where are thebacklit keyboard time-out settings, Latitude 15 E5540 Windows 8

Jump to solution

jep3422 wrote the following post at 8 Apr 2015 8:38 AM:

I'd be interested what hardware/software you use, since most people have the opposite situation, "1,2,3,4,5 minutes" works and "always on" is greyd out or switches backlight off. You also mention the "Mobility Centre" which I believe aren't installed in Latitude 5xxxx models (this was used in other, older models).

Can you tell us which Dell model, which Windows version, and which version of Enhanced Feature (Systems-Management_Application) you use, please

INSPIRON 5547, Windows 7, Not sure on the last question.

No timeout is not what I want because I don't want the backlight on for the entire length the computer is on.  I only want it on about 5 mins after I last touch it.  Dell wants me to reinstall Windows, which I will do when I have time.  But the system is only a couple months old and the functionality never worked, so I feel a reinstall will do nothing but *** up my time.

0 Kudos
WR_dell
1 Copper

RE: Where are thebacklit keyboard time-out settings, Latitude 15 E5540 Windows 8

Jump to solution

Control Panel does not have Mobility Center (only Windows Mobility Center). Windows Mobility Center does not have  keyboard among all icons. 😞

0 Kudos
jep3422
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

merrygaskill, the reason I asked the questions is that my thread is ONLY for the Latitude 5xxx and 6xxx models and Windows 7/8.

Dell Latitude, Inspiron, Vostro, etc. have different inplementations and solutions for the backlit keyboard. For example the Inspiron uses an Dell adapted Mobility Center and the Latitude uses Dell Feature Enhancement Pack (I believe the Vostro has the settings in BIOS).

There are plenty of other threads for Inspirons with many backlight solutions if you search for them. You need to post your question under the right section/thread or else people get confused and eventually no-one benefits from anything.

0 Kudos
daury44
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hi Joe , can you do this for my Dell XPS 13 2015 for me on TeamViewer?

thanks 

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Batch file doesn't work, goes into a loop as of course it will, given the second QUOTE text and 'goto loop'.  So I cut the file off at the end of cctk.exe" and it ran but didn't do anything.

0 Kudos
jep3422
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Which Dell model do you use? Have you run the batch file "Run as administrator"?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Latitude 6410 (the model I'm typing on), 6510, 6530.  Your script doesn't affect the backlighting at all.  At least, not for my usage: I use Windows 7, 32 and 64-bit, Pro and Ultimate.

But what does work, is the Feature Enhancement Pack.  I suspect that Dell changed the firmware in some way so that your utility won't work.  But now I got it to work only with the Feature Enhancement Pack, which adds tabs to the Control Panel Keyboard for Backlight, which can go for up to 5 minutes.  That's still unsatisfactory, but is far better than having to swipe the touchpad every few seconds so you can see what you're typing in the dark, as I too often must do.

Just download it from whatever machine you're using, by going to dell.com and letting your machine be detected, then seek the Feature Enhancement pack among the various updates and drivers;  or, just google and download it from one of the links there, as I did the other day.

BTW, I don't know why the nickname of this post is so weird, and they won't let me correct it.  My nickname is brainout, and you can find me at frankforum at brainout.net if you want to discuss this further.

Jump to solution

The easiest way - and i believe the correct way - is to change the setting in your boot up bios. Just hit F2 on Boot up to get into the BIOS. Go down the list to POST Behavior. There you will find the keyboard settings for dimming and setting the amount of time you want the keyboard to remain lit.

Should be go to go after it reboots.

[tag:FIXED] [tag:KEYBOARD] [tag:7510] 

Proceed with caution. Although simple enough, don't mess up your Bios.

Only work on one change at a time to make sure you're not interrupting anything else.

jep3422
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

notes2john-DELL, this setting does not exist on my Latitude E5540 😞

Which BIOS version are you using on your E5540?

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Pressing F2 on start up to get into BIOS mode on most computers is pretty standard. Each model will have a different set of information and settings you can change. I have a Dell Precision 7510, so mine might be different than say your model. It's a matter of looking through the list of settings to find the item you're interested in updating. Keyboard Backlighting could be called something different but probably similar.