Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 22nd, 2010 22:00

Which driver files are for the network interface card?

I had the problem of the usb ports working for some peripherals and not for others.  After several attempts but not solving the problem, I am reloading the XP Home operating system.

I am reading the Dell website support page titled "Driver install for desktops and laptops".  I am trying to follow this installation order.  I've hit a roadblock at  #4, where I am supposed to find drivers and software for the network interface card in the Network category on the Drivers and Downloads page.  Items #4 and #8 (wireless network card)use files in the Network category. 

I cannot determine which files are for the network interface cards and which files are for the wireless network cards...can someone help me with this?  The instructions say to install in the order shown or some devices may not function properly.

I have an Insprion 8600 with XP Home.

NOTE: It would be useful if the designation "NIC" and "WNC" or similar were mentioned along with the file name.  It would also be useful is if I I am requested to type in the service tag number or the model number for my unit, that the list of drivers would not contain files not compatible with the model.

2 Posts

February 24th, 2010 10:00

Is anybody here?

14.4K Posts

February 26th, 2010 10:00

Did you go to the site and use your service tag number? That will pare the listing down to drivers that are just applicable to your system build.

Broadcom is the ethernet driver. As to the rest you need to know which wireless card was installed when you ordered it and using your service tag should only list the one you have

176 Posts

February 26th, 2010 10:00

confusing isn't it.  i rebuild dells and i have yet to figure out which driver goes with what card.  so i have started going on the intel site and letting them scan my system and they bring up the correct drivers to download every time

No Events found!