Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

L

August 18th, 2015 18:00

Which has better keyboard: E6440 or E5450?

I'm looking to buy a new laptop and am curious about the Latitude transition to the chiclet style (aka "island style") keys as I'm a touch typist and am picky about my keyboards.  I see the E6440 is one of the last ones that has traditional (non-chiclet) keys.  The E5450 looks interesting but it has chiclet keys.

Is the E6440 keyboard good?  How about the E5450?  Anyone use both that can provide their opinion of both?

20 Posts

September 12th, 2015 09:00

I have an e6440 with fairly high specs, and think it's a pretty great laptop (the only one left anywhere that has a swappable CPU, multiple options for multiple drives, and an expresscard port), but the keyboard is kind of so-so, as is the touchpad. I use a 7450 at work, which has a chiclet keyboard, and I find the strokes have more depth. That model also has a nice, large touchpad. The e6440's touchpad is a throwback, small model with big, separate buttons. It's not horrible, but I would have preferred something more modern. I wish Dell would upgrade this model with just a change to the keyboard/tp assembly.

It looks like assemblies from other models would almost fit (e5450?), but I'm sure they wouldn't. Actually, if anyone knows this answer for sure, I'd love to hear. The e5450 falls short of the 6440 in other ways (for me), but the keyboard/tp is what I would prefer.

No Events found!