Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 12th, 2013 09:00

White Spots on my Dell XPS 13 Screen

Hello,

I've recently noticed that 4 tiny white spots have appeared in the left/mddle part of my screen on my Dell XPS 13 and wondered if they are dead pixels or if there was a fix to this problem? My warranty ran out 6 months ago so I'm unable to enquire about a fix/replacement

The lights are in a diamond formation so i assumed that one of the lights in the screen is acting strangely
It doesn't effect performance, just a minor niggle more than anything.

Thanks

• 

3.3K Posts

October 12th, 2013 12:00

HI NM91,

Please check the display in the BIOS screen. Tap F2 at start up to open the BIOS screen.  Also connect an external monitor and check the display status on it. I request you to run a test on the display. This test will help in diagnosing if the issue is with the LCD panel or with the controller. If the colors are displayed across the screen without a problem then the issue lies outside of the LCD.

To test the display shut the system down, next press and hold the letter ‘D’ on the keyboard and press the power button. This will initiate diagnostics on the display. Check the status of the display and please revert.

18 Posts

October 12th, 2013 13:00

Hello,

The BIOS screen still contains the diamond formation of lights being slightly brighter than the brightness the screen is set at.

Unfortunately I can't run the external monitor test as I do not currently own a display adaptor to run this, however I will buy one now in the hope of testing this.

Thanks

18 Posts

October 13th, 2013 09:00

Hello,

I've checked the BIOS screen and the diamond formation of lights still appear on that

Unfortunately I'm unable to check on an external display as I currently do not own a mini display adapter, but I have ordered one and should be with me soon. When I do check through an external display, I'm assuming that if the lights appear on the external display, it's not a problem with the LCD screen?

I have managed to check the diagonistics of the screen hrough the laptop and during the process the lights were still there but the screen was given a pass, meaning everything is okay with it.

Thanks

• 

3.3K Posts

October 14th, 2013 04:00

Hi NM91,

I suspect it is a LCD screen issue. To isolate the issue, kindly arrange for the snap shot of the screen.

18 Posts

October 14th, 2013 14:00

Hello there

I've taken a screenshot but strangely the dots aren't appearing on the image. I've opened this up in photoshop and made sure of this.

The dots still appear on the screen just not in any screenshot I take

I'm unsure why this is

Thanks

18 Posts

October 14th, 2013 17:00

I've taken pcitures of the dots with my camera, however I wasn't able to upload directly here

I have however, uploaded them to an image hosting site, with the link below showing the dots, I've circled them to help you

1st image shows the 4 lights in a diamond formation

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/819/htui.jpg/

The 2nd image shows 2 circles. 1 with 3 white marks and the other with 1 white mark

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/856/zrml.jpg/

• 

3.3K Posts

October 15th, 2013 05:00

Hi MN91,

Thank for the pictures. Yes, white spots are not visible in the picture. May be it will be more clear when the display has a dark back ground like in BIOS screen or even try changing the desktop color to something very dark where it will be more visible.

18 Posts

October 15th, 2013 14:00

Hello there,

The white dots strangely only appear on very light background, so for exmaple when using Microsoft Word it is there and visible but on a darker background it isn't visible at all. Like I said, the problem is a very minimal one, but it is clearly visible when using the laptop.

Sorry if it doesn't explain it well. It's an odd problem.

Many thanks

18 Posts

October 15th, 2013 15:00

Sorry, I meant a warranty.

I will be getting a 2 year Next business day onsite warranty so when that goes through will I be able to initiate a system check?

Thanks

18 Posts

October 15th, 2013 15:00

Just to clarify, the spots do not appear on any screenshots I take, merely me taking photos of them

Also, I'm planning to get insurance for this laptop tomorrow, will I be able to intitiate a service check when that goes through?

Many thanks

• 

3.3K Posts

October 17th, 2013 07:00

Hi NM91,

If the system has warranty, we can have the system checked by Dell technicians. Please send me a private message with the system service tag to assist you further. Please click on my name and click Start Conversation to send me a private message

2 Posts

June 12th, 2014 16:00

I am having exactly this same issue with a Dell Touch 15 laptop that I bought this January 2014.

Is there a fix for download? the white spots blink and they mess up my mouse. I reach a point where I do not have control of the mouse or virtual keyboard (touch screen) and have to reboot. Have done restore to previous point and came back. Done disk cleanup, etc. same thing.

No Events found!